Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remapping

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
synthedup

Remapping

Post by synthedup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pmIf you're noticing a surge of power over 3k rpm then I'm betting your Vanos seals are gone. Get them sorted and it'll feel like a remap, restores all the lost torque in the low range that you'll never realise you were missing.
HI, does the 2.0 N46 have a Vanos do you know?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 pm

The solenoids "pulse" or partially open to vary the valve timing, but obviously if the seals aren't holding pressure it is a wasted exercise.

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping

Post by MACK » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

synthedup wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pmIf you're noticing a surge of power over 3k rpm then I'm betting your Vanos seals are gone. Get them sorted and it'll feel like a remap, restores all the lost torque in the low range that you'll never realise you were missing.
Yes it does. Basically the same setup as other n series engines. A couple of benefits the n series vanos setup has over the m series is that it does flag up codes when its misbehaving and its usually the solenoids which although not cheap, are dead easy to replace. Codes with the m series are rare and its usually only when they are really bad. When they do appear they're usually soft codes in that they dont activate a dash warning light. Hence why most m series engined cars are being driven around oblivious to this.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping

Post by Smartbear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

eddiemunster wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 amhowever when the seals in said chambers "don't" seal, then the oil simply passes them and drops back into the sump.
Is it a binary circuit as per VTEC, either on or off, or does the lack of seal prevent the process from completing only in part? Is the fact that it's occuring around 3k rpm simply because there's sufficient pressure to completely open the circuit?
its probably "kicking in" at 3k rpm because that's the point where the vanos tails off in filling in the torque hole.
You're feeling the engine come on cam again because the vanos is largely ineffective and no longer gives the engine linear power
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

synthedup

Remapping

Post by synthedup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm
synthedup wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Yes it does. Basically the same setup as other n series engines. A couple of benefits the n series vanos setup has over the m series is that it does flag up codes when its misbehaving and its usually the solenoids which although not cheap, are dead easy to replace. Codes with the m series are rare and its usually only when they are really bad. When they do appear they're usually soft codes in that they dont activate a dash warning light. Hence why most m series engined cars are being driven around oblivious to this.

Thanks MACK :)

No codes here so all good :thumbsup:

Rusky

Remapping

Post by Rusky » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Mike is doing my Vanos at the end of March and i am looking forward to claiming back that low end grunt, especially out of sliw corners and off roundabouts. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

piotrZ4

Remapping

Post by piotrZ4 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Anmarube wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 amSurely everything on the car has worn to a degree because of age and mileage. Personally I'm pretty sure this would be classed as fair wear and tear.. 30% worn tyres etc. Wouldn't expect to get them replaced FOC. Second hand car not classed as new so parts wear. Most parts are not operating as they were when new.
As for price on the Vanos some guys are saying a day. So days labour at local indie at say £45 per hour plus parts plus VAT.
To replace vanos seals takes 1-2 hours .

Anmarube

Remapping

Post by Anmarube » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 pm

piotrZ4 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 pm
Anmarube wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 amSurely everything on the car has worn to a degree because of age and mileage. Personally I'm pretty sure this would be classed as fair wear and tear.. 30% worn tyres etc. Wouldn't expect to get them replaced FOC. Second hand car not classed as new so parts wear. Most parts are not operating as they were when new.
As for price on the Vanos some guys are saying a day. So days labour at local indie at say £45 per hour plus parts plus VAT.
I've no idea buddy which is why I was quoting somebody else's times. If you say 1-2 hours then that's cool with me. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm

Are you talking about the vanos solenoid seals?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Anmarube

Remapping

Post by Anmarube » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm
Are you talking about the vanos solenoid seals?
Rob

Already been answered Rob. As in my last post I was quoting someone else's estimation.

Cheers