Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox oil change

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DashBedrock

Gearbox oil change

Post by DashBedrock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm

After changing my own engine oil and filters etc last week, I now fancy giving the transmission oil a go.
Its a manual coupe and wondered if anyone can direct me to a useful guide on how to do this. I've tried searching the forum with no success and couldn't find anything specific to the Z4 on YouTube.
Thanks
Andy

eddiemunster

Gearbox oil change

Post by eddiemunster » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I'm going to do mine next week, although I haven't looked into how it's done yet, but what I can advise is that you wear a mask/hold your noise as transmission oil has a truly repugant smell..... particularly if you warm it up for easier re-filling!! :D

biojo

Gearbox oil change

Post by biojo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

if its manual gear box, its plug on side make sure that comes out then undo drain plug

Not much else to it tbh, get a new washer, then fill till it over flows

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Gearbox oil change

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Get under and have a look. Some boxes have both drain and fill plugs, others only fill. Take it for a drive to get the box warm. I use a length of tubing and funnel from the engine bay to fill, undo this plug first. My box took about 1.4 litres and you'll need a hex key, but I can't remember the size, was quite chunky. If you get new plugs first then you can obviously measure and some come with integrated washers.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.