Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gap-tech

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Buckley06

Gap-tech

Post by Buckley06 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Came across this gap-tech on You tube.
Has anyone got the RHC and was it easy to fit?
Also the phantom lights look well smart.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gap-tech

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Gap-tech RCH+ is now the only one they sell.

http://www.gap-tech.co.uk/rchp.html

VERY popular mod, can be fitted in minutes if you use the supplied scotchlock connectors, but I'd advise soldering the wires to prevent future problems.

Probably the first mod I made to mine and use it everytime I drive it.

Phantom lights are expensive for what they are - There's a how-to on here to create the same effect for about £10 all in....

Mike

oldgitdave

Gap-tech

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pmGap-tech RCH+ is now the only one they sell.

VERY popular mod, can be fitted in minutes if you use the supplied scotchlock connectors, but I'd advise soldering the wires to prevent future problems.

Phantom lights are expensive for what they are - There's a how-to on here to create the same effect for about £10 all in....

Mike
I was under the impression the key could be coded to operate the roof without the gap-tech now, or is that just facelift roadsters? I'm hoping to do the mod this year to mine so do I need the RCH+ for my pre-facelift?

Dave
Zedless :(

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Gap-tech

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pmGap-tech RCH+ is now the only one they sell.

Mike
I was under the impression the key could be coded to operate the roof without the gap-tech now, or is that just facelift roadsters? I'm hoping to do the mod this year to mine so do I need the RCH+ for my pre-facelift?

Dave
That still wouldn’t give you the one touch functionality from the dash buttons though, dead handy when the lights change a nano second after you decided to raise/lower the roof!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gap-tech

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Dave
Yes Dave, the car can be programmed to raise and lower the roof from the key remote, however the Gap-Tech offers a few additional, and in my opinion worthwhile extras.

Firstly, it turns the buttons inside the car into "one touch" so rather than have to hold them to raise/lower, you simply press for half a second and leave it too it, once the roof has started moving, you can then drive away up to about 15mph and it will carry on opening/closing.

Secondly, the actual remote opening and closing is a simple 3 clicks on the key, and again, it carries on, so you can walk away, rather than have to stand next to the car with your finger on the button, this is also a good thing for the key IMO, as a lot of them have old batteries in them, which having been used to 10 years of momentary operations to lock/unlock, seem to fail when required to transmit continuously for 10-12 seconds at a time.

Mike

oldgitdave

Gap-tech

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pmThat still wouldn’t give you the one touch functionality from the dash buttons though, dead handy when the lights change a nano second after you decided to raise/lower the roof!
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 pmYes Dave, the car can be programmed to raise and lower the roof from the key remote, however the Gap-Tech offers a few additional, and in my opinion worthwhile extras.

Firstly, it turns the buttons inside the car into "one touch" so rather than have to hold them to raise/lower, you simply press for half a second and leave it too it, once the roof has started moving, you can then drive away up to about 15mph and it will carry on opening/closing.

Secondly, the actual remote opening and closing is a simple 3 clicks on the key, and again, it carries on, so you can walk away, rather than have to stand next to the car with your finger on the button, this is also a good thing for the key IMO, as a lot of them have old batteries in them, which having been used to 10 years of momentary operations to lock/unlock, seem to fail when required to transmit continuously for 10-12 seconds at a time.
Ah I see... thanks Rob & Mike. I'll put one on my shopping list. Typical, my missus was going to buy me one for Christmas but I put her off after thinking I could just get away with key coding :slaphead:

Buckley06

Gap-tech

Post by Buckley06 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Maybe worth a investment as I feel the car is lacking it.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

oldgitdave

Gap-tech

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pmMaybe worth a investment as I feel the car is lacking it.
Yep, reckon it's a worthwhile upgrade :thumbsup: