Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED Bulbs - is this an common issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
eyup

Post by eyup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi all

I have been using Ring LEDs in the side light for about 7 months and the wife noticed one side was out. So I went to replace and it came back on when I removed it from the headlight housing. Now it comes on but the the opposite side light comes on initially but then (after an unknown amount of time) goes "off". There is a very slight glow but not emitting anything usable, you can barely tell it's powered at all. The Ring leds are five year guaranteed.

Is this what others have experienced? I am wondering if as the light gets warm the canbus resistor is causing the issue, is it's failing. Does this sound plausible?
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Bulb holder for the one that went off and came back on?

CANBUS compatible don't seem to be worth the hassle, i.e. they fail which I assume is due to having a 4W load resistor with that heat to dissipate on a small package size.

Get some OSRAM/Philips LEDs and code out the checks, have had no issues for 3/4 years.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

eyup

Post by eyup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pmBulb holder for the one that went off and came back on?.
Yes, I took out the bulb holder and as I did the LED came back on. I assumed was a poor fitting so turned everything off and fitted an old Osram filament bulb and this worked fine. As it was working again, I ended up putting the led back in and then noticed to opposite side light was out (dimly lit). I have noticed the plastic bulb holder is brittle. I wonder if the heat from the LED have caused the issue.

I am going to buy some Osram leds and get the garage to do the coding.

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 pm

The heat may have done, or it could just be a crappy unit. That being said the bulb is 5W so it's usually just the LEDs that can't handle the heat.

I assume you've got a facelift - you can do the rears too with OSRAM; I've got brake, indicators and reverse but I prefer Philips for W5W. Rear fogs weren't worth doing.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

eyup

Post by eyup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Which bulbs are you using scooba?

My headlights are these. https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-ri ... gIQ1vD_BwE

I tried to find a good colour match but gave up. I used to use 150% bulbs from osram or Philips for the main headlights but as I have them on all the time when driving I found they died pretty quick so dropped back the intensity and tried Ring. At same time switch to led sides to use as drl's. Unfortunately I find on the country roads I drive too many people pull out in front of me if drive without at least some lights on.

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

eyup

Post by eyup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 pm

eyup wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pmWhich bulbs are you using scooba?

My headlights are these. https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-ri ... gIQ1vD_BwE

I tried to find a good colour match but gave up. I used to use 150% bulbs from osram or Philips for the main headlights but as I have them on all the time when driving I found they died pretty quick so dropped back the intensity and tried Ring. At same time I switched to led sides to use as drl's. Unfortunately I find on the country roads I drive too many people pull out in front of me if drive without at least some lights on.

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I've got 4300k HIDs with 4000k osram w5w LED side lights, they are a little yellower than the headlights but still whiter than upgrade bulbs.
I think that Philips W5W produce a better spread though so would go for them in future, i just don't need to change mine.

eyup

Post by eyup » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 pm

New Philips bulbs have arrived today but have to wait until next weekend to fit them. Has anyone any experience of LED bulb flicker on Z? I won't be in a position to code out the bulb out warning for a couple of weeks so I hope this doesn't cause an issue.

The Ring LEDs are being replaced by the seller under the 5 Year guarentee. They won't send alternative but I suspect the canbus resistor is shot. They aren't exactly being much help though but at least I will have a set of Ring leds for something.......

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm

The LEDs will flicker during start up and I think at intervals during use. The bigger issue is that the indicator will come on solid, so I'd suggest wait and code out the checks first before fitting. You can try the new ones in the footwells/boot/interior to check them on arrival if you want.