Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dip stick oil level

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Lance

Dip stick oil level

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 am

Position 2 is correct.

Crazy Harry

Dip stick oil level

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am

skurup wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 amHi,

I have two question about the 2005 Z4 2.5i Automatic.
a) Which is the correct appropriate level that the engine oil should be in the dipstick (see the pic). Is it position1 or position2?
b) Also, how much oil would be needed approximately to cover the height from Postion1 to Position3?

Thanks.
I've got a problem with the labelling on the photo OP. Your photo shows the dip stick upside down. So when in the engine the oil must be at least up to position 3. An oil level anywhere between the top of the gap above position 3 and position 2 is OK more than that (position 1) and engine problems may ensue.

BUT I suggest that you concentrate only on the block of plastic between the two cut outs - as long as the oil level is on this block its fine :thumbsup:

If unsure how much to put in put in a few 'glugs' wait ten mins then recheck - you can always put a little more in (taking it out is more of a problem).

skurup

Dip stick oil level

Post by skurup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am
skurup wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 amHi,

I have two question about the 2005 Z4 2.5i Automatic.
a) Which is the correct appropriate level that the engine oil should be in the dipstick (see the pic). Is it position1 or position2?
b) Also, how much oil would be needed approximately to cover the height from Postion1 to Position3?

Thanks.
I've got a problem with the labelling on the photo OP. Your photo shows the dip stick upside down. So when in the engine the oil must be at least up to position 3. An oil level anywhere between the top of the gap above position 3 and position 2 is OK more than that (position 1) and engine problems may ensue.

BUT I suggest that you concentrate only on the block of plastic between the two cut outs - as long as the oil level is on this block its fine :thumbsup:

If unsure how much to put in put in a few 'glugs' wait ten mins then recheck - you can always put a little more in (taking it out is more of a problem).
Ok. Thanks mate.