Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to get rid of green mildew? off hood

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
1972nail

Post by 1972nail » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Once it's clean you need to protect it. I use Fabsil Gold which is a silicone based tent water proofer and works far, far better than the more expensive products from Renovo or Autoglym.

You need to try not to get any on your paintwork, so if you're anyway clumsy with a paintbrush best to mask it off first. Silicone prevents any new paint adhering to old paint so if you need a paint job done in the following months after contamination your body shop will curse your bones.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Fabsi ... absil+gold

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:08 pm

The outer layer of the roof is not meant to be waterproof. Treating it with anything that stiffens the fabric, such as a waterproofer means that they can stop folding properly, and either rub, causing marks, or catch on the car as they fold.

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

1972nail wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pmOnce it's clean you need to protect it. I use Fabsil Gold which is a silicone based tent water proofer and works far, far better than the more expensive products from Renovo or Autoglym.

You need to try not to get any on your paintwork, so if you're anyway clumsy with a paintbrush best to mask it off first. Silicone prevents any new paint adhering to old paint so if you need a paint job done in the following months after contamination your body shop will curse your bones.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Fabsi ... absil+gold
I've used fabsil gold on vert roofs it's great and lasts ages. I used it on the zed about a year or so ago and it's only getting to the point where it could do with a reapplication now. Its always lasted longer than the likes of autoglym and other hood stuff I've tried by a country mile. I was originally recommended it by a classic car restoration garage. They told me to apply it using a small sponge and a mini roller tray as it gives much more controlled coverage and I didn't need to mask the car as a result.
After I did it a member on here pointed out that there could be a compatibility issue with one of the rubber inner layers of the roof (The roof is tri layered) due to the chemical composition of the fabsil and the rubber. Not the outer layer though. Obviously I'd already done it at this stage so there wasn't much I could do to remedy the situation. To be honest its been fine and was fine on all the other verts ive owned and used it on over the years. Some of them having repeated coats for anything up to 6 six years before I sold them. It certainly didn't make the roof harder or tighter, not like a few of the roof recolouring products I've tried over the years. My roof have always felt like I bought them and as the fabsil is designed for tents etc I can't see it hardening anything as they get folded repeatedly and wouldn't last five minutes if they hardened etc.

I'm no chemist so can't say either way but never had an issue with the fabsil but the chemical incompatibility with one if the inner rubber layers has got me questioning whether I should use it going forward. Jurys out at the moment.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:43 pm
GAZA62 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm
LOL I had this very thought when I was having trouble removing mould from the top but I was lucky enough to find a Pro detailer who keeps my top looking superb for £60 a year
£60 a year to clean the roof :o :o

Mike
£60 is a good price live on the outskirts of London Mike so its more expensive you should see the price a pint down here :cry:

I used to do it myself for a few years but with the car living outside and only getting used at weekends the hood could sit for days soaking wet so the mildew took hold after a last ditch attempt using my AG kit I gave up it just was not going anywhere and my tennis elbow was killing me it got to the point of selling the car as it looked awful add to that it was costing me around £30 each time I decided to find a Pro and was recommended Dean off Highshine to sort it and he did cleaned and treated once a year nice and black again no creases and no sign of mildew for an extra £30 :D
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

bz4kev wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:15 am
Yorkie Z wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Nanu wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 pmBuying an e89 would prevent recurrence :rofl: :poke:
Good point but then you have the problem of an ugly rear end :poke:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :poke:
Just as well that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White