Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil change

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Oil change

Post by mr wilks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Davz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 pmMillers at the correct spec will cost £38 for just 5 litres, a complete waste of money when superior Quantum or Fuchs is only £18 for 5 litres when 20 litres is purchased or £25 when 5 litres is purchased.

Interested to why you believe the Quantum / Fuchs is "superior " :? We all have our favourite brands of products for whatever reason or belief , i favour Millers as all tests & research appears to acknowledge that their oils perform exceptionally well when pitched against any other like for like brands ( ie better in any tests ive ever studied )
Are the Quantum / Fuchs brands not as Opieoils suggest ?

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,108 posts

162 months

[report][news]Monday 3rd November 2014quotequote all
MJK 24 said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Are the Quantum engine oils any good? A friend works at a Volkswagen TPS and says that the 5w30 LL3 and their 5w40 Platinum are good quality fully synthetic. He says they also do a basic 10w40 for older engines. He thinks it is all brewed by Castrol but the prices are almost suspiciously cheap when they have offers on so I do wonder if it's a good as he says?
Hi

As they aren't something we sell, I can't say too much, but like everything else, own brand oil is pretty much the basic option. Being made by Castrol/Fuchs/Shell etc is a bit irrelevant, it's made to VW's requirements, it's not a premium oil that is relabelled and sold at a lower price.
Cheers
Tim

the above taken from a PH discussion a few years back
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Davz

Oil change

Post by Davz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Mr Wilks, please read my first post and follow the links about quantum/fuchs oil.
I might add that a post from 2014 is rather irrelevant considering that quantum oil is no longer made by bp/castrol and how a seller of oil is somehow an expert is beyond me, Opie do not publish any professional credentials and so they know no more or less than any layman......unless they are chemists or mech engineers? Would you expect Opie to say that VW quantum oil is actually Castrol edge but without the stupid badge price and cut his profits?
The new Quantum and Fuchs are one and the same, the friction load tests show the oil to be one of the best. Don't forget that every new audi/vw is filled with fuchs/quantum.....would you expect VW/Audi to choose an oil for all their vehicles if it wasn't any good, they dropped Bp/castrol was this due to cost or performance, certainly the performance of fuchs/quantum is superior to castrol edge in terms of friction reduction.
If you want to waste money on overpriced oil that is your choice, you would need to spend £152 for 20 litres of Millers to £72 of equivalent spec quantum/fuchs. Don't forget Crude oil prices crashed in Feb 2014 from around $130 a barrel to $50, currently at $60....did we see engine oil prices fall by over 50%? The big names have carried on ripping off customers.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Oil change

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 am

Davz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm Mr Wilks, please read my first post and follow the links about quantum/fuchs oil.
I might add that a post from 2014 is rather irrelevant considering that quantum oil is no longer made by bp/castrol
Would you expect Opie to say that VW quantum oil is actually Castrol edge but without the stupid badge price and cut his profits?
The new Quantum and Fuchs are one and the same, the friction load tests show the oil to be one of the best. Don't forget that every new audi/vw is filled with fuchs/quantum.....would you expect VW/Audi to choose an oil for all their vehicles if it wasn't any good, they dropped Bp/castrol was this due to cost or performance, certainly the performance of fuchs/quantum is superior to castrol edge in terms of friction reduction.
If you want to waste money on overpriced oil that is your choice, you would need to spend £152 for 20 litres of Millers to £72 of equivalent spec quantum/fuchs.

Post by Davz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I use VW/Audi oil, which is quantum longlife 3 5w30. Quantum oil is made in the UK, used to be made by Bp or in other words "Castrol" and was just rebadged edge oil at a lower cost.
I have read your posts Davz & i'm left confused :? further up the thread you claim Quantum/Fuchs is actually Castol Edge rebadged :? then above you state the performance of Fuchs/Quantum is superior to castrol edge in terms of friction reduction :?
I dare say i could buy 20litres of 5w 30 oil for less than £72 if i was looking to save money but then again on the same basis i could buy cheaper tyres .
Car maintenance products are very much a personal choice & for now i'm more than happy to pay a little more for Millers , ive used the stuff for over 15 years & only ever been happy .
What i would add is (jmo) its far more important whatever oil you choose to change it yearly / 6k-7k & ignore the so called longlife capabilities of it to cover 2 years 16k-18k :cry:
Last edited by mr wilks on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Truth

Oil change

Post by Truth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

Davz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm...would you expect VW/Audi to choose an oil for all their vehicles if it wasn't any good, .
Would u expect VW Audi try to cheat emissions and lie about their cars. Maybe just maybe they are using an oil to make more money not because it is better?!!
Z4MC

Davz

Oil change

Post by Davz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Mr Wilks this is what was written in my first post:-
"I use VW/Audi oil, which is quantum longlife 3 5w30. Quantum oil is made in the UK, USED to be made by Bp or in other words "Castrol" and was just rebadged edge oil at a lower cost. However last year Vag CHANGED TO FUCHS as their supplier and the new Quantum is rebadged TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30 XTL, xtl is a new fuchs oil technology and is called QFX by Quantum. "
You did read this? I have highlighted the key words in uppercase incase you scan read like me!

Your correct you probably could buy some cheap oil and save a few quid, that oil may or may not be any good, the point is you can purchase a top end oil at a very low cost or you can buy an inferior oil for more money.....which scenario makes logical sense to you? Millers is a fine oil, it has a viscosity index of 165, anything over 150 is a synthetic grade oil, in comparison a standard mineral oil will have an index around 100-120. VI is the rate of change of viscosity between two temperatures. The lower the VI, the more the drop in viscosity as the oil warms up. The higher the VI value, the less the drop in viscosity as the oil warms up. Therefore look for an oil with a high VI, Fuchs/Quantum is 191, a very high index, higher than Millers, Edge and mobil 1. I know where my money is going irrespective of price and with a 6k mileage change it makes even more sense.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Oil change

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

As long as you're happy with your choice then all is cool Davz , not seen or heard anything to make me change oil but then again life wouldn't work if everyone followed the same trails :wink:
The Millers range does offer higher viscosity for cars that require it such as the S54 ZMs , both my ///M cars i ran with CFS nano 10w 60 which has a VI of 175 , these cars hate extreme heat cycles & imo Millers was the best product for protection of the engine , i'm sure the Millers 5w 30 Trident LL is equally as good for the N54 & N52 where the duress & stresses are much less :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Oil change

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't think you can be in a bad place if you change the stuff more frequently than schedule.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

eddiemunster

Oil change

Post by eddiemunster » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Truth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 amMaybe just maybe they are using an oil to make more money not because it is better?!!
They'll be aligned to an oil manufacturer of choice, in the same way they often are with tyres.

Oil makes/models can be important, particularly if you drive a diesel as you may well require low-ash content to ensure continued DPF operation. The original Ford zetecs are a good example of this, the genuine Ford-spec oil had an additive that stopped the valve guides sticking, using other oil often ended up with misfires and top-end noise.

Truth

Oil change

Post by Truth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am

eddiemunster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm
Truth wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 amMaybe just maybe they are using an oil to make more money not because it is better?!!
They'll be aligned to an oil manufacturer of choice, in the same way they often are with tyres..
So they can make more money. Simple
Z4MC

mjennings23

Oil change

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

Truth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am
eddiemunster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm
They'll be aligned to an oil manufacturer of choice, in the same way they often are with tyres..
This, absolutely. No doubt they'll have a spec, go to numerous oil companies with it and whoever agrees to the terms/best price gets the job and becomes the "recommended factory oil". As said earlier, it used to be Castrol for BMW, now it's Shell. Does that mean Shell suddenly started making the best oil? Of course not.

Truth

Oil change

Post by Truth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am
Truth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am
eddiemunster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm They'll be aligned to an oil manufacturer of choice, in the same way they often are with tyres..
This, absolutely. No doubt they'll have a spec, go to numerous oil companies with it and whoever agrees to the terms/best price gets the job and becomes the "recommended factory oil". As said earlier, it used to be Castrol for BMW, now it's Shell. Does that mean Shell suddenly started making the best oil? Of course not.
:thumbsup:
Z4MC

Davz

Oil change

Post by Davz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Truth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pmDoes that mean Shell suddenly started making the best oil? Of course not.
No...the VI is inferior to Fuchs

Truth

Oil change

Post by Truth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Davz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 pm
Truth wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pmDoes that mean Shell suddenly started making the best oil? Of course not.
No...the VI is inferior to Fuchs
Think you should check who you’re quoting! As that wasn’t me who typed it.

Also is there any oil that isn’t “inferior” to Fuchs?
Do you work for them? :poke:
Z4MC

salb

Oil change

Post by salb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 pm

10 litres of millers long life £45 delivered .........from eBay
PROUD OWNER OF .......

BMW Z4 MSPORT:
LANDROVER DISCOVERY OVERFINCH: