Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Experiment time !!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Experiment time !!

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Ok so this is kind of a live post if you will, since I'm typing as I work and I have no idea how this is going to turn out. It could be great, it could be a disaster... who knows?

I got this idea from something I saw on Youtube and I've decided to try it out. The plan was to do this on my rear diffuser, but having woken up to yet another day of snow I'm going to be doing it on a couple of interior pieces. It probably works out better this way as it gives me a bit of practice before moving on to the big stuff!

I've already had a go at doing them in Candy Black to go with my new Piano Black center console but I wasn't happy with it so having plenty of carbon fiber in and around my car I'm going to be attempting a carbon fiber effect paint job.

These are the parts in my makeshift painting area:

And these are my tools, fresh from Amazon:

So I'm using some toolbox liner as a stencil for the carbon fiber pattern. First thing is to cut it to size to get it to sit flat on the part. My parts are already painted and glossed in Candy Black, so I'm skipping the black base coat and three layers of clear to start off with and going straight to the stencil, over which I'm going to spray silver.

Moment of truth, lets see how the first carbon layer looks...

Ok not too shabby, I can see this going somewhere. Next is three layers of clear on top, ten minutes between each coat. In the last layer of clear I'm spraying my Candy Black because it has it's own transparency, but a thin layer of black is what is suggested.

Bugger! Paint decided to spurt on one spot so I've kind of overdone a patch. Hopefully it will still turn out ok :cry:

I've decided to mist over the rest with a bit more black to blend it in a bit better. Now wait for all that to dry before moving on to the next layer. I'm using 2K clear coat which has a mixed in hardener so hopefully it won't take too long to dry... I hate waiting!

Ooh good timing, another delivery has arrived so I have something to distract me for a while whilst I wait. New number plate frames...

I think the trick is to lay the clear on thick to get it glossy and to separate each layer for a more 3d effect as opposed to flat so I've done another nice thick coat of clear before doing anything else. When that's dry it's time to go back to the stencil and carefully place it so the corners of each square overlap each other to get that weave effect, then another coat of silver.

Right... Ok. Well, it didn't quite go as planned but I know where I went wrong. First, the stencil needs to be cut more precisely so the whole thing sits flush and tight. Second, I didn't wait for the last layer of silver to dry off a bit before I peeled off the stencil, which should have been OBVIOUS but hey, rookie mistake and I'm not yet onto the rear diffuser as planned so I can afford a few mistakes in practice.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of that last layer due to the fact that in the midst of my paddy and complete meltdown I grabbed hold of the candy black and went to town on the little f***er ready to start again. HOWEVER, a rather unexpected and totally unintentional silver lining just poked out from those black clouds, figuratively and quite literally.

Candy paint is meant to be a tinted clear layer over a base coat of a different colour, usually silver or gold. The effect it gives off is that of hint or glow of the base coat peeking through the candy paint when viewed from different angles. Well, my carbon fiber effort is silver, and when covered in Candy Black those little silver squares faintly peer out from that deep glossy black disappearing in the distance as the curves of the part .distort the light that hits your field of view. This could well be better than the effect I was trying to achieve in the first place!

It's difficult to replicate on camera as it all depends on light and needs to be seen in person, but this is the best example I could get:

So this one didn't quite go to plan then, but now I know what I'm doing and I'm going to order another can of Candy Black to finish everything off.

Time to work on part two, I'll let you know how it goes.

To be continued...

Buckz

Experiment time !!

Post by Buckz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pm

honestly I'll be honest, that carbon looks extremely tatty and fake :/ I would just go for piano black. Fake carbon in general sucks in my opinion, maybe some of the fancy 4d wraps look ok but other than that god no.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Experiment time !!

Post by Marlon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 pm

You seem to have three identical threads on the go fella?
I'm removing the other two
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Experiment time !!

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Lots of effort, but I’m afraid I agree with the above post. The original black finish looked much classier :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

thanatu55

Experiment time !!

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 pmYou seem to have three identical threads on the go fella?
I'm removing the other two
Thanks Marlon... Don't know what happened there!

thanatu55

Experiment time !!

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Buckz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pmhonestly I'll be honest, that carbon looks extremely tatty and fake :/ I would just go for piano black. Fake carbon in general sucks in my opinion, maybe some of the fancy 4d wraps look ok but other than that god no.
Smartbear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:16 pmLots of effort, but I’m afraid I agree with the above post. The original black finish looked much classier :(
Rob
I'm pretty much in agreement but also in denial after going through all the effort. It was a fun experiment though. I was originally trying to get a piano black finish hence the extreme gloss but it's not as easy as I thought it was going to be.

These parts need repainting anyway, the second part f***ed up too. More paint is on it's way, just black.

Is anyone else having trouble on this site? Every other site is fine but I'm getting Timeouts and extremely long loading times just on the forum. Probably explains the three posts.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Experiment time !!

Post by buzyg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 pm

I have too agree with the nay savers. Not my cup of tea either.

Site's working fine here right now too. :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Experiment time !!

Post by Marlon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 pm
Buckz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pmhonestly I'll be honest, that carbon looks extremely tatty and fake :/ I would just go for piano black. Fake carbon in general sucks in my opinion, maybe some of the fancy 4d wraps look ok but other than that god no.
Smartbear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:16 pmLots of effort, but I’m afraid I agree with the above post. The original black finish looked much classier :(
Rob
Is anyone else having trouble on this site? Every other site is fine but I'm getting Timeouts and extremely long loading times just on the forum. Probably explains the three posts.
Its only this thread thats loading slowly cos of all the pics :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

thanatu55

Experiment time !!

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 pm
Rob
Strange, I'm having problems with the whole forum... logging in, the index page, reading posts... yet the internet is working fine on my computer. It's been like this for a couple of days now.

oldgitdave

Experiment time !!

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Strange, I'm having problems with the whole forum... logging in, the index page, reading posts... yet the internet is working fine on my computer. It's been like this for a couple of days now.
Hmm... I've been having the same issues for a good few days now but only on my tablet, not with my mobile. I use Chrome & I have deleted all my history including cached images & files & it seems to be back to normal now :thumbsup:. Guess it only affected the forum site as it's by far where I spend most of my browsing time :roll:

Dave
Zedless :(

thanatu55

Experiment time !!

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Hmm... I've been having the same issues for a good few days now but only on my tablet, not with my mobile. I use Chrome & I have deleted all my history including cached images & files & it seems to be back to normal now :thumbsup:. Guess it only affected the forum site as it's by far where I spend most of my browsing time :roll:

Dave
Thanks for the tip, mine seems to have gone back to normal for the moment. I tried deleting everything too but it didn't seem to have much effect. I use Chrome too.... seems there's a few gremlins at play!