Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Light output upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 pm

I am considering upgrading my Halogen lights to get better light performance. Considering going for HID lamps for dipped behind the projector lens, and later fit LED for main beam as I think they are getting quite good for point source lighting now and will be less scattery.

The HID I am considering is Car Rover https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HOAZ7OW/ ... FZ41&psc=1

Has anyone fitted this model for dipped? Is the beam pattern, reliability and bulb failure avoidance any good?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Rusky

Light output upgrade

Post by Rusky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

After market Hids are now an MOT failure i believe.
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Rusky wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pmAfter market Hids are now an MOT failure i believe.
From April, yes they are.

However, because both the halogen AND Xenon lamps use the same projector, albeit with a different mount at the rear, IF you have headlamp washers, there is every chance an MOT inspector wouldn't spot it, as long as you don't go mad with the colour temp, ie stick to 5000k. BOTH lamps are marked on the lens as H7/DS2.

Mike

dunks

Light output upgrade

Post by dunks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm

I didn't realise that the xenon used the same projectors as the halogen, does this mean that with an HID aftermarket kit the light shouldn't scatter like the really naff ones you see people using with lenses they clearly shouldn't be?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm

It doesn't, the cut-off is fine. Driving at night with halogens was awful, I'd suggest everyone do it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

dunks

Light output upgrade

Post by dunks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Maybe one to consider after the MOT in June :driving:

G600

Light output upgrade

Post by G600 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Removing the projector lens (4 bolts) and wiping the dust off made a big difference to the light output on my car, worth trying that as well.
E85 3.0

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:33 pm

dunks wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pmI didn't realise that the xenon used the same projectors as the halogen, does this mean that with an HID aftermarket kit the light shouldn't scatter like the really naff ones you see people using with lenses they clearly shouldn't be?
Yes, but you MUST get a kit with metal bases on the "bulbs" as the plastic based ones are too thick and distort the metal blips that hold them in place.

And as above, giving the projector lens a wipe massively improves things, they actually go cloudy with the dust - DON'T be tempted to wipe the actual reflector though!

Mike

Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for all your posts, I hadn't realised HIDs would be illegal post April, though I am not surprised too many people are fitting them on parabolic reflectors (or worse faceted parabolic reflectors) and they are blinding. That is why I was proposing just fitting HID to dipped beam and not full beam. I am not worried about colour temperature, just want to improve the intensity and light penetration.

Does anyone know the actual ruling for example is it:
  • If MOT man finds an aftermarket HID period it will fail (in other words ballasts and bulb failure module will need to be hidden away)
  • Is it the colour temperature they will fail
  • Is it the light output they will fail
I am taking it as a given the beam pattern must be ok.

Is it fair to assume the 55W kits are more likely to cause an MOT issue than the 35W kits?

Finally have any similar rulings been made regarding LED bulbs?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

dunks wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pmI didn't realise that the xenon used the same projectors as the halogen, does this mean that with an HID aftermarket kit the light shouldn't scatter like the really naff ones you see people using with lenses they clearly shouldn't be?
Not really as the lens is the same but cone and location mounting very different. Take a generic xenon and stick it in where a halogen was and it's no surprise with the light emitting from a different point and different shape source bulb, the end result is hit and miss if the light is scattered or reasonably focussed

Personally I'm delighted aftermarket xenon will fail with so many badly aimed lights on the road and am sure most MOT testers will spot it in an instant from beam brightness, knurled adjusters, no stickers, etc. etc,

Anyone interested in the new MOt then the handbook in draft is on the .gov site

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -draft.pdf

Section 4 covers headlights and is very clear:
Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

There's also detailed advice on testing, spotting a HID bulb, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

I tried a 35w kit in my original headlamps, improvement, but still not the best. A 55w kit was MUCH better. I have now fitted facelift bixenons, and they are great.

Evidence of an aftermarket kit is a straight fail, although the tester cannot remove the back of a headlamp to check.

New rules;

Mike

Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pmI tried a 35w kit in my original headlamps, improvement, but still not the best. A 55w kit was MUCH better. I have now fitted facelift bixenons, and they are great.

Evidence of an aftermarket kit is a straight fail, although the tester cannot remove the back of a headlamp to check.

New rules;

Mike
Thanks Mike, great read. I am guessing they wont need to remove the back off the headlamp because the intensity + slow start up time will give the game away. Not too chuffed to hear this, I find the standard halogen lights are simply not good enough for the country lanes where I live and was looking forward to an upgrade. It is a little disappointing that they have chosen to go so black and white which will penalise those that are sensible. It would have been much better if the beam pattern + colour temperature + luminous intensity were measured during MOT rather than "are aftermarket HID bulbs fitted!"

The document doesn't seam to make LED bulbs illegal for headlights though providing they are not blueish. They are nowhere near as bright as 55W HID and I have concerns over reliability + packaging the two boxes that go with them, but may investigate this route.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pmI tried a 35w kit in my original headlamps, improvement, but still not the best. A 55w kit was MUCH better. I have now fitted facelift bixenons, and they are great.

New rules;

Mike
Thanks Mike, great read. I am guessing they wont need to remove the back off the headlamp because the intensity + slow start up time will give the game away. Not too chuffed to hear this, I find the standard halogen lights are simply not good enough for the country lanes where I live and was looking forward to an upgrade. It is a little disappointing that they have chosen to go so black and white which will penalise those that are sensible. It would have been much better if the beam pattern + colour temperature + luminous intensity were measured during MOT rather than "are aftermarket HID bulbs fitted!"

The document doesn't seam to make LED bulbs illegal for headlights though providing they are not blueish. They are nowhere near as bright as 55W HID and I have concerns over reliability + packaging the two boxes that go with them, but may investigate this route.
Problem with LED's, in aftermarket form is the beam pattern, as the aftermarket ones tend to be made of lots of small, separate LEDs. I agree with the ruling TBH, as there are so many (chavs) out there with kits fitted into their Clios, Fiestas and Corsas that literally DO blind other motorists coming towards them> I would bet some have even caused accidents.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 pm

With our headlights and washers I think it will be a push to fail them, as they are identical from the outside, but time will tell.

And while I type some gopping blue glare fest HIDs in reflectors go driving past my window :rofl:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm
Problem with LED's, in aftermarket form is the beam pattern, as the aftermarket ones tend to be made of lots of small, separate LEDs. I agree with the ruling TBH, as there are so many (chavs) out there with kits fitted into their Clios, Fiestas and Corsas that literally DO blind other motorists coming towards them> I would bet some have even caused accidents.

Mike
I have spent a fair bit of time looking into LEDS, I agree the main problem is the beam pattern particularly with parabolic reflectors and clear "glass" headlights. But they have come a long way and the latest bulbs with Philips ZES LEDs are a great deal better because the LEDs themselves are tiny and can closer emulate the point source nature of a filament. I am currently trying some out on my Mini, I started by replacing the H11 foglights with some Philips ZES based LEDs and the difference was amazing. I have a bit of a problem that the BMW bulb failure detection routine makes one of them flash 14 times when ignition is turned on and the incorrectly named Canbus box doesn't stop it happening, but in operation they are out of this world. I have driven the 25 miles to work in the dark twice now with them on and not been flashed by anyone, so their focus cannot be too bad.

I have just ordered the same make LEDs in H4 and will be fitting them, that will be the real test because the positioning of the dipped beam LEDs will be a lot more crucial. Happy to feedback how I get on.

I wasn't saying I disagree with stopping the numskulls that are blinding everyone, the point I was making is they could have been more objective in stopping them. Light intensity, colour temperature and beam pattern are all measurable. It may have been because OE HID usually come with auto headlamp levelling so if a car goes over humps, they adjust down. Aftermarket fitment doesn't solve that problem.