Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Light output upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pmBMW bulb failure detection routine makes one of them flash 14 times when ignition is turned on and the incorrectly named Canbus box doesn't stop it happening
This is the bulb check, CANBUS compatible simply adds a resistor so the monitoring senses the same load and doesn't show a bulb being out (negating the powerr savings of LEDs), you can code the checks out to stop it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm
Magicarcher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pmBMW bulb failure detection routine makes one of them flash 14 times when ignition is turned on and the incorrectly named Canbus box doesn't stop it happening
This is the bulb check, CANBUS compatible simply adds a resistor so the monitoring senses the same load and doesn't show a bulb being out (negating the powerr savings of LEDs), you can code the checks out to stop it.
I know exactly what it is, but it has nothing to do with CAN. CAN is a serial communication standard to support the communication between two electronic units. It is not possible to communicate with a halogen bulb with can or any other serial communication protocol such as LIN, MOST, Flexray (well you could try but you won't get much of an answer). So the so called "CANBUS modules" should not have this name. It will be interesting to see what they call these modules them as the industry moves away from CAN towards other protocols such as Flexray.

What they are in fact doing is getting round the bulb failure detection systems in vehicles (with or without CAN) that rely on detecting the impedance of the standard lamps. Since LEDs/HID control units have a much higher impedance than a filament bulb (which when cold has a particularly low impedance), fitting LEDs or HIDs can lead the car to come to the conclusion that the "bulb" has failed and send a bulb failure warning.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Nothing indeed but that's what they call them. To stop the checks there are two codes to turn off (one hot, one cold) and one for the dash warning.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Magicarcher

Light output upgrade

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pmIt doesn't, the cut-off is fine. Driving at night with halogens was awful, I'd suggest everyone do it.
Hi Scooba Steve, I take it you have AM halogens fitted? Did you fit the ballast inside the lamp? If so did you have one of the units with only one ECU that tends to be called DC Ballast or one with two boxes that tends to be called AC Ballast. Do they fit OK in there?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 pm

I've got OE halogens and a H7 HID kit. One ballast for each, taped into the headlight, everything fits inside.

Wildfire

Light output upgrade

Post by Wildfire » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm

On a slightly different note, haven't HID's been an MOT failure for ages now?
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Wildfire wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pmOn a slightly different note, haven't HID's been an MOT failure for ages now?
Aftermarket HID's are a straight MOT failure from April this year.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pmAftermarket HID's are a straight MOT failure from April this year
While the guidance says fail if obvious, if you have washers, how can the suspension levelling benefit of doubt disappear?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am

The new manual starts that suspension leveling/beam leveling should be assumed to be working in the absence of anything indicating otherwise.

Mike

Darkangelv2

Light output upgrade

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

Reading the regs, I can see where they've tried to ban the HID kits. But i'm not so sure that they necessarily need to be an immediate fail (these things are always down to interpretation of the MOT Tester).

4.1.4 (Compliance)

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

---- In our Z4 scenario, for example, the headlamp HAS been designed and approved for use with HID bulbs (the tooling used by BMW is the same regardless). The ONLY way it would be 'clear that a conversion has taken place' to an MOT tester is if he removes the wheel arch liner and takes the back of my headlamp off. Obviously, i understand I am splitting hairs here but a conversation with your MOT man as to his interpretation in advance may remove any doubt (or mean you need to swap in standard bulbs OR find a new MOT man!).

Self Levelling is fine due to:

4.1.5 (Levelling devices)

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be
fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must
work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of selflevelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers are all good due to the below:

4.1.6 (Cleaning devices)
THIS INSPECTION ONLY APPLIES TO VEHICLES ON OR AFTER 1 September 2009.

I think i'll be making a phone call before booking my MOT next time!
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I think your interpretation is naive that’s tester won’t be able to tell. That do this all day every day and know to look for knurled adjuster, warning decals, colour and intensity, not forgetting suspension sensors and the light washers. DVLA even provides advise on how to spot them.
Of course some tester can and will chose to ignore it, but that’s the gamble
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Darkangelv2

Light output upgrade

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:04 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pmI think your interpretation is naive that’s tester won’t be able to tell. That do this all day every day and know to look for knurled adjuster, warning decals, colour and intensity, not forgetting suspension sensors and the light washers. DVLA even provides advise on how to spot them.
Of course some tester can and will chose to ignore it, but that’s the gamble
I agree, it's deliberately naive! :D

As i said, i think the conversation with the tester is best. Otherwise, it's a frustrating annual changing of the bulbs!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Light output upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Will be interesting to see how you get on. Of course rules are only draft so will see what happens with final version and guidance
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Darkangelv2

Light output upgrade

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Ah, that's true, i might take the MOT early just to put it off a year and see how everyone else gets on! :rofl: