Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best choice for a simple code reader?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
1972nail

Post by 1972nail » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Update on this....i still haven't bought a code reader. The current options I'm considering are the Creator 110, 310 and the 501. I think the 110 can't clear some service lights or reset some things but what's the difference between the 310 and the 501? Anything I've read online is a bit confusing and doesn't really define differences in the two.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:22 am

I had the BMCables kit on a windows laptop which can do everything. Problem was I didn't really understand it (or everything in German!) and bottled out when I got warnings like "continuing will delete this module"! So I packed it up, sold it to a forum member who understood it and went with TorquePro. That does enough for me so far.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:02 pm

BMCable OK but 0% help on the programes, which to be honest is what you WILL need. Read about INPA and EDIBAS on the net and see if you can grasp it. Some of it is really clunky but it does work. I found old XP laptop (SP3) to be the best bet for using. Their apps CD is atrocious and half the time will not load, copy the whole thing to your hard drive and load it from there. You may have to go searching for the .exe files to get them to work though. As long as you are not too impatient it does eventually all work :D
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

MalNCH

Post by MalNCH » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm

1972nail wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 pm What's the thoughts on the BMW diagnostic software & cable from BMCable ?
That's what I use, couldn't get their software to work on my Windows10 laptop so I downloaded EasyBMWtools (it's free) https://mega.nz/#!kAASwa7I!AJLVnnEBwLgz ... ofE-TBYGmk their cable is fine though, works a treat, obviously there's a larger learning curve than things like Carly and Torque but it does everything. Couldn't bring myself to pay Carly's ridiculous subscription fee for a very basic product.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.