Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vanos Vanos Vanos (take two)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
eyup

Post by eyup » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Right guys, previous thread got shut down because of illegal commercial activity so DLV please dont quote your prices on this one :poke: but thank you for helping me over PM :D I am checking what you suggested.

My original post:
Unfortunately seems to be getting worse after many years trouble free motoring, water pump last year now Vanos. Emissions light came on and local Indy has diagnosed Vanos needs replacing after carrying out bmw diagnosis procedure.
I have been quoted £1000 to replace with genuine new parts, precautionary timing chain tension as this was mentioned on error code and oil, filter and flush. Includes a one year guarentee which I felt wasn't that long given nature of the part.

I am now considering options. I want to keep the car but as I explained and sure the garage understand (they are probably reading! Evening gents) I need to consider options. DIY is beyond my ability I think.

Spoken to Mr Vanos and as you would expect he says no issue and half the price of the local with recon parts. For a bit more he would even drive down to do it for me or I can drive the car up (which I don't think an issue - can anyone confirm?)

I searched but finding it difficult to see what people have been charged among the many thread on the issue. There are the guys in Liverpool mentioned I haven't spoke to them yet. What are thoughts on the above quote? reasonable?

Cheers

As per the consensus of replies, the quote was consider high and ducklakeview has suggested worth clarifying why it is suggested to replace the Vanos with no mention as the weather solenoids have been checked / replaced which is a much more common issue. Ducklakeview has suggested enerally Vanos issues, other than the solenoids, is rare.

Anyway I will open this back up to further comment as its always useful for future readers who may experience the same.
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

I still think this needs more diagnosis before you drop £1k on it. The complete exhaust vanos hub is £330+vat from BMW, and apparently BMW UK sell between 3 & 5 of these a month, compared to around 420 vanos control solenoids... I think those numbers themselves speak volumes about the rarity of actual hub failure, especially when you think about the fact that the engine is now used in pretty much every model across the range in one form or another..

Is the indy guaranteeing that this will fix the fault?

Mike

eyup

Post by eyup » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 pm

So, an update. Although received some great private advice from ducklakeview, the reality of the situation was that by the time diagnostics and rebuild (without fix) costs were in, combined with the risk of failure during taking the car to Darlington or Liverpool, I had little option but to trust in the Indy who guaranteed their suggested work would repair the car (and swallow the large bill). :thumbsdown:

Anyway, one week on, after what I felt was better running, the emissions light is back on so off we go back to the Indy to see the strength of the guarantee......

I have the replaced Vanos unit in my garage should I need to refer to it for what good it will do. Can they be refurbished as spare for future or resale?

The previous thread got shut down because prices were quoted but I can I got a great price from a forum member and a reasonable price from Dr Vanos who for additional fee would travel as he goes up and down the country. Worth bearing in mind if anyone suffers a Vanos issue. I will update when i know more from the dealer. My car is letting me down at the moment :cry:

I am now heading to the code reader thread as its about time i was able to verify the issues before I take it in....

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Bad news! So did the garage change the vanos control solenoids?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Neil, what did they actually do?

Mike

eyup

Post by eyup » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Nope. The solenoids were fine apparently. BMW diagnostic procedure performed in full to identify vanos unit as the issue. Solenoids swapped from inlet to exhaust all checked out apparently.

Parts are ruddy expensive.

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I hope you got this in writing as it will help. You're in a strong position but may have to do some fighting, did you pay any of the fee on credit card?

You've paid for a fix that hasn't worked (assuming same symptoms and codes) so ask them to complete the job at no extra charge, if they won't then refund and reinstall of the old parts but give them the option. If refused take somewhere else for a quote and either request they pay or issue refund. Benefit with credit card is the issuer is equally liable and a better bet for getting cash back from.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

eyup

Post by eyup » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

I have left the invoice at the office so will probably miss something but I had New vanos valve, timing chain tensioner I think, all the diagnostics news gasket, bolts, oil flush, New oil.

The bizarre thing now is that I had to fill up so few hours after coming home last night I nipped out to petrol station. Emission light on was on. Start up after filling and light is off. Has stayed off today and driven the car approx 24 miles (2x12 runs).

Side light bulb has gone as well so one problem gone and another to sort. At at least the bulb has 5 Year guarantee

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

eyup

Post by eyup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:51 am

Hi everyone, I am resurrecting this mainly as an aid to anyone else who may go through the issues above or is getting the same error code. Unfortunately, as above, the original thread that held a lot of useful information about the various errors codes and advice is now gone (reasons above) and I cannot remember all the details but.....

Two years and 12000 miles later, yesterday my old friend the engine light came on. No obvious engine faults or hesitation during driving. Error code read via Torque to be "P1554 - Powertrain". Given the vanos was replaced so recently obviously I had some concerns. I was not at the time, and never will be, convinced that the vanos needed replacing but heyho it was done. Today we removed the offending solenoid, cleaned and re-installed. Error code reset. A new solenoid is approx £100 from the dealer but I have decided to see how many miles I get before the light comes back and if does happen to re-occur I will replace immediately. I had this exact issue immediately after the replacing the vanos 2 years ago and once reset the error never re-occurred until now.

I will report back any developments.

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

eyup

Post by eyup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Ok. Less than 50 miles and error is back. So the plan is to replace the offending solenoid. Does anyone know if there are multiple manufacturers for the solenoid?

The price quoted by bmw is the same as that of the wholesaler but the item is special order with the wholesaler making me wonder if all oem?

Thank you

The journey so far;
ii) The Z