Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stereo replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dblcrona

Stereo replacement

Post by dblcrona » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:30 am

I am considering replacing the factory stereo with a Pioneer AVH-3300NEX that has Apple CarPlay. My factory system has Nav which I will delete and the 10 (or 14, I forget) speaker system. What are my options for powering all those speakers? Has anyone done this?

Magicarcher

Stereo replacement

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

I haven't done this but I believe there would be a fair bit of work involved. The HiFi system has a 10 channel amplifier with DSP and equalisation tuned for the car. If you only wanted to swap the head unit you are going to lose the DSP and vehicle specific equalisation and the power output of that radio is 4 x 14W RMS, so you are likely to lose bass punch as the sub woofers are likely to be low sensitivity and 14W RMS is not a lot to drive low sensitivity speakers. You could add an additional 4 channel amplifier, you could even add external DSP like audison, but the price will start to get very high. I haven't heard it but I understand the 10 speaker HiFfi system is considered to be very good, Personally I would stick with the audio system you have.

I assume its the apple car play that attracts you. If you are not bothered about your sat Nav would it not be an option to fit an apple tablet where the sat nav goes and feed into the standard head unit.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.