Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why ? Oil level

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NickDE

Why ? Oil level

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Sometimes when I press the button to check my oil level, I get an almost instant response that the oil level is OK. Other times I can sit for ages whilst the car thinks and the level display thing scrolls until I finally get the OK message. Why ? I can't spot any pattern in when it replies quickly or when it is slow.
I'm talking about a Z4C 3.0 N52.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Why ? Oil level

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Mine is the same - I read on here that there are all sorts of criteria that need to be met for it to give a quick reading.

There is a minimum engine temperature (mine doesn't work until I've done 5 miles or more), it has to be turning at over 1,500 rpm (hence I get no reading at traffic lights) and works best on a flat road with no sharp bends.

Which all seems to tie in with how mine does (or doesn't) work!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NickDE

Why ? Oil level

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Mine will give me a reading at standstill idling. I tend to check each time I fill the tank (after a two hour drive home so very warm). Same routine, same petrol station. Sometimes instant, sometimes ages.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Anmarube

Why ? Oil level

Post by Anmarube » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm

I just check it on the dipstick. Done it today funnily enough as have a small gasket leak on the Oil filter housing.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Why ? Oil level

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Anmarube wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pmI just check it on the dipstick. Done it today funnily enough as have a small gasket leak on the Oil filter housing.
The OP and I would love to be able to do that, but facelift models with the N52 engine don't have a dipstick! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Why ? Oil level

Post by Anmarube » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Unbelievable that BMW don't do that, Mercedes too..
Got to be one of the simplest things to do for the owner of their car..Very quick peace of mind that all's good under the hood.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Why ? Oil level

Post by ph001 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 pm

A ton of people must have fallen into this trap when doing DIY oil changes. They try to check the level at idle or just with the ignition in the accessory position. Level looks a little low so they add more oil and recheck. WTF...still reads the same...add more oil...etc etc.

Personally I think it's an awful system. Well, Ok I guess if you understand it... awful if you don't!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.