Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disappointed with Carly thinking of asking for money back

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Newbers

Post by Newbers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

I know Carly has fans here but I'm not overly impressed. I'm not fussed about coding, I'm more interested in diagnostics.

1. Giving the codes in Hex is an additional hurdle as few people quote these on the web so Google searches throw up a lot less useful content. I can't seem to find a site to convert - does anyone know a way around this?

2. The Parameters feature (data logging from a large range of sensors) doesn't work at all with my N52 (Coupe) engine - is that everyone's experience?

3. Having to send the codes to email is stupid. It's useful to have as a feature but I'd really like to see the info in my hand without a load of clicks.

Whilst I have some engine faults and I'm not very impressed with the app I'm feeling even more reticent to get involved with coding.

Am I just being grumpy or unlucky here? Could I do better for the £100 I've invested? Anyone had experience of asking for a refund?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

TempusFugit

Post by TempusFugit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I've not used Carly, at least not the paid version. But I can see why you disliked those things.

I have used torque, for diagnostics and for resetting faults. It does the job quickly and easily, it did give me standard descriptions of the problems (though I'm not sure about more model/manufacturer specific codes). It was also 1/10th the cost of Carly.

I have been thinking about getting Carly, but only if I could do things that Dis57/INPA can do, I don't want to break out the laptop each time, something on the phone/tablet would suit me better.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm

TempusFugit wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:28 pmI've not used Carly, at least not the paid version. But I can see why you disliked those things.

I have used torque, for diagnostics and for resetting faults. It does the job quickly and easily, it did give me standard descriptions of the problems (though I'm not sure about more model/manufacturer specific codes). It was also 1/10th the cost of Carly.

I have been thinking about getting Carly, but only if I could do things that Dis57/INPA can do, I don't want to break out the laptop each time, something on the phone/tablet would suit me better.
Torque can't read all the ECU just main one so Carly can find a lot more codes
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Buy the carsoft i910. £89 and does all diagnostics. Srs / abs everything. Pretty hands piece of kit. Don't see the appeal of carly at all unless you want to outright remove a fault and never have it checked. Suppose it's handy for mot's
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Coffee331

Post by Coffee331 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm

I am also very disappointed with it. On top of it their customer service is non-existent. This is my last mail to them after they ignored 3 others I had sent previously...
Attachments
1A7A86BA-2979-4569-B396-06FCF128C9EB.png
1A7A86BA-2979-4569-B396-06FCF128C9EB.png (243.38 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks for feedback - I'm pleased I'm not the only one. I don't mind spending money on stuff that works nicely but this isn't ticking enough boxes....
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Newbers wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 amI know Carly has fans here but I'm not overly impressed. I'm not fussed about coding, I'm more interested in diagnostics.

1. Giving the codes in Hex is an additional hurdle as few people quote these on the web so Google searches throw up a lot less useful content. I can't seem to find a site to convert - does anyone know a way around this?
Giving hex codes for codes where a P code is present is indeed stupid.
If I look at how INPA can give codes and what info comes with that, its quite different:

These are some exotic codes out of INPA. Where there's a match they display the P code (although that can be highly manufacturer specific, but also the enviromental parameters (mileage and some other info). and they use another coding system. (but searching on a code like 28AD or 28AE still probably gives more hits)
Not that it has to be this way, but it shows whats possible.
Of course bmw inpa doesnt run on a phone and has a very steep learing curve and its dodgy software to install.
And of course having codes doesnt make you a mechanic, but having a very non descriptive code and a general description of the problem that could match multiple codes is pretty useless.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Coffee331

Post by Coffee331 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

In the first (and only mail ) they sent me he tried to tell me that I had an engine from an E90 in my car and that’s why the live parameters didn’t work :roll: :rofl:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Their customer service is indeed sh!t. I'm still waiting for a reply to a query I sent them back in May! :headbang: :thumbsdown:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am

I have requested refunds from both Amazon & Apple. I shall be in Germany twice in the next three weeks, but probably fortunately not quite close enough to Munich to drop in to iViNi-Tech, Bauerstreet 20, 80796 Munich to give them personal feedback...:thumbsdown:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:49 am

I think one of the main reasons people go for Carly is the fairly intuitive interface for coding etc. I wouldn’t consider it a serious diagnostic tool.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 am

For what it is i'm satisfied with it.
Ive recoded a few things. Ok not essential things admittedly but comparing to the costs icurred had i gone to a stealer then the app and dongle have already paid for themselves thrice over.
The live parameters feature, while somewhat clunky to get working, helped me diagnose and rectify an overheating issue.
While out and about its handy to diagnose any issues as i keep the dongle in the car.
Ista and inpa on-hand at home for the serious stuff.
Horses for courses.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

Chris_D wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 amFor what it is i'm satisfied with it.
Ive recoded a few things. Ok not essential things admittedly but comparing to the costs icurred had i gone to a stealer then the app and dongle have already paid for themselves thrice over.
The live parameters feature, while somewhat clunky to get working, helped me diagnose and rectify an overheating issue.
While out and about its handy to diagnose any issues as i keep the dongle in the car.
Ista and inpa on-hand at home for the serious stuff.
Horses for courses.
Totally agree with Chris.

The only thing I would add is most of the inpa ista stuff available is some sort of bootleg copy and they all seem a real pain to install.
BM Cables customer service is also non existent. I managed to get all their software working but the reference data wouldn't. I emailed them back in January last year and guess what, I still haven't heard from them either! 🤣 despite the fact they clearly have my email address as they keep littering it with one offer or another👊

I think if I got down the software route again I'll try the Rheingold stuff. A little more expensive but everything seems to work and they're customer service is actually decent by all accounts
Last edited by MACK on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am

I have the Foxwell NT510 for diagnostics
I also have Carly which I have done some coding with and find it quite good
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

IMO, Carly has it's uses. I consider it "ok" for coding, for those that want to "add" things to their cars, in this scenario it can prove much cheaper than visiting a dealer/indy, especially as you can chop and change them to suit your requirements. It's also handy for a quick code read/clear when out and about, but useless for clearing SRS/airbag lights, even though it says it does.

However, for anything else I used to fire up the BM cables kit, which did the job, but I found that some of the German language was hard to get to grips with, and it's "clunky" and not exactly intuitive..

Nowadays I just use my Launch X431 Pro..

Mike