Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another whats it worth/what to do thread.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm

I just picked my car up from Autohaus.

I'd left it there a week. I'd hoped to leave it a bit longer and have them take it to BMW for a KDS alignment but I needed it back.

£1220 lighter. They did:

INSP2

Recon exchange front calipers (nipples failed upon my instruction to try, I suspected they might which is partly why I avoided BMW as they'd have sheared them and charged £££ for brand new calipers)

Brake fluid, hadn't been fully done since 2010! Well worth getting those front lines done!

Rear arm brake pipe flexi/solid combo pipes. Mot had advisoried and INSP2 check pointed them out too.

Coolant swap. Good to check all was well, and cheap enough.

Exhaust flange studs from downpipes to exhaust proper. No idea, but no doubt it'd go eventually.

Cam cover oil gasket. Was leaking more and more so fixed now.

Oil filter housing oil gasket. Feint leaking, didn't want this one getting worse.

Some random clips underneath, and a tidy up of anything that needed it.

Bar the exhaust thing I thought all these jobs were waiting to be done at one point or another in the coming 12 months, and I wanted the car right.
He also mentioned wheel corrosion and slow leaks on tyres being likely, so that reinforced getting them reconditioned.

It's also nice that they've been through and into quite a lot of areas of the car and can't see anything amiss, bar the stuff they did.

I can now let my wife use it knowing it's good, or enjoy it myself, and hopefully get a smoother private sale in summer if I decide to sell it.

I also got the pre-facelift msports seat mat and underseat box to get rid of my airbag light, that was £200 delivered from Lincoln.

Just £500 for Exel wheels recon now.

Craig at Autohaus seemed great to me.

I didn't get any feelings they were padding jobs out.
The labour durations seemed very good. He was happy to spend time explaining things.
The general alignment of what I felt about my cars state and what they saw during INSP2 were tying up nicely which was nice.

I'd not hesitate to go again for big jobs, but for now hopefully it's all just housekeeping tasks I can work on DIY.

Oh and bubbly wings starting. I think I'll get some quotes for now.

Part of me is thinking I'll just keep this forever now.
It's just not worth selling and if I can store it nicely it'll reduce the costs to near zero (humidity and temp controlled garage)
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Mr Whippy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm Part of me is thinking I'll just keep this forever now.
It's just not worth selling and if I can store it nicely it'll reduce the costs to near zero (humidity and temp controlled garage)
That's my thinking with mine too.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:37 pm

My brother will have an M3 for sale in the spring, if you do decide to get one. It's a lovely car.

Just two owners, my brother who has owned it for a year or two, and the previous owner who had it from new. Both have stored it in a warm and dry garage. It has an indoor fitted cover. Mint condition throughout.

Silver with black leather. 2005, manual with 69k miles on it. Not sure what he wants for it, but it's a nice one. He's only selling to buy a house.
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 pm
Mr Whippy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm Part of me is thinking I'll just keep this forever now.
That's my thinking with mine too.
Well I went out on a chore drive today.

Sunny, roof down, and 35 mile round trip on dry roads across the Yorkshire Dales.

It's just so flipping good.

I honestly can't really think what I'd change except a bit less harshness.

So B4 dampers for the back and a KDS alignment and I'll call it a day for mechanicals.

Wheels and bodywork next.
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior