Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT Advisory Question regarding Ball Joints

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Danmancity

Post by Danmancity » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 am

My MOT has come back with advisories for the ball joints, the exact wording is as below

Nearside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint and rear bushes (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint and rear bushes (2.4.G.2)

So obviously I'm going to get it sorted now to be safe

Question is, do i need to replace just the ball joint https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-E46- ... Sw~OdVfq~P

Or will the whole arm need replacing? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CONTROL-AR ... 0705.m4780

Either way the parts are pretty reasonable and my Dad and I can do the work

Ill need a new ball joint press if the ball joints can be done on their own so will anything do the job? Watched a video on youtube and the one they used was hege compared to what i used to have, doesnt need a special amount of travel does it? Will this one do the job?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pc-Ball-Jo ... SwnTdaQ141
Long car history for someone who is 24!

BMW M3 E92 - Renault Megane 250 CUP - BMW Z4 3.0SI Coupe - Honda S2000 - Mini Cooper S Works - Renault Megane 250 CUP - Renault Clio 182 FF - Renault Megane R26 - Renault Clio 200 CUP - Renault Clio 182 FF

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

Just buy the arm with the joint in it already. Much easier and costs barely any different.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

I think the separate ball joint will not fit standard OEM Z4 wishbones, only Meyle Heavy Duty versions. If you have original parts fitted you'll need to replace the complete wishbone, for which it would make sense to fit the Meyle HD version.

Make sure you do the rear bushes at the same time, sometimes called the lollipop bushes. They will probably disintegrate when you try to remove them from the old wishbones anyway. Powerflex poly bushes are a popular upgrade without any detrimental effects on ride.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Danmancity

Post by Danmancity » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am

Thought it would be easier to replace the whole thing

With regards to the arms themselves, is it really worth the extra money for Meyle HD? theyre about £180 for the front and £45 for the rear bushes whereas lesser known brands can be had for £110 and £30

Mine is the M Sport suspension so a lot of the parts on eBay say unsuitable for the sport suspension
Long car history for someone who is 24!

BMW M3 E92 - Renault Megane 250 CUP - BMW Z4 3.0SI Coupe - Honda S2000 - Mini Cooper S Works - Renault Megane 250 CUP - Renault Clio 182 FF - Renault Megane R26 - Renault Clio 200 CUP - Renault Clio 182 FF

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 am

rally-chris wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 amI think the separate ball joint will not fit standard OEM Z4 wishbones, only Meyle Heavy Duty versions. If you have original parts fitted you'll need to replace the complete wishbone, for which it would make sense to fit the Meyle HD version.

Make sure you do the rear bushes at the same time, sometimes called the lollipop bushes. They will probably disintegrate when you try to remove them from the old wishbones anyway. Powerflex poly bushes are a popular upgrade without any detrimental effects on ride.

Chris
They are a popular upgrade but have significant detrimental effects on ride..
They make it harsher and more 'crashy' by replacing oem oil filled rubber with poly that tranmits noise and vibration to the cabin.
For some they provide less flex to improve handling
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am

No NVH or ride problems with Powerflex lollipop bushes on mine.... I don't know what effects the HD arms give though (not done this on mine yet).

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm

I have the HD arms and powerflex poly bushes on my M and have no issues with he ride.

Get it done!!!
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD