Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Big Tav

Post by Big Tav » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:06 am

Hi everyone, I was just reading through a few ads of cars for sale and something I never thought of came up about the Sat Nav.

I usually go for the highest spec cars and Sat Nav would be something I would go for usually. There was a Z4 M ad and the seller (who didn't have it of course) said he deliberately didn't want it in his car as he thought it dated the car too much as it looks to old fashioned and he prefers the smooth lines of the dash without it.

What do you guys think? Is Sat Nav a must have or is it not really that important on a Z4 Coupe?

Thanks.

gerryp

Post by gerryp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 am

I prefer without.
The dash looks much better plus the sat nav is so out dated anyway.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 am

I would entirety agree with the seller. It's old fashioned and looks rubbish. If I were looking for another Z4M it would be one without SatNav. Oh and yes my car does have it. :thumbsdown:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 am

Without. If I had one I think I’d attempt some crazy Android retrofit.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 pm

I must admit when I was looking for my coupe I wanted SatNav, mostly for the re-sale value as I rarely SatNav... But having seen a few in the flesh I would agree with the above that it's not really all that, the screen isn't very good quality and the head unit is a bit pants on models with SatNav

I picked mine based on interior and exterior colour combination rather than spec... I think the only must have is the M-Sport seats, standard to 'Sport' models. And this may divide a few opinions but 'piano black' dash trim was also a must for me, I think it lifts the interior and gives it a more modern feel... however that's just my personal taste!

Good luck with your search! :thumbsup:
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Only reason I'd want the satnav is to get the 10 speaker DSP system (top level speakers) which you can't have without the satnav

Both of my current zeds have satnav and I honestly never use it
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm

It is not just a screen for satnav though (even though I would not want to be without that as I hate the wires from portable units which to me really spoil the dashboard lines ...). The satnav still calculates quicker than any portable unit I have used and works in cities with high buildings around, whilst the portable units let you down in tunnels etc after which they take a long time to get GPS lock again (this is across a range of satnav units I have used).

What you miss as well are the connections to the iPod / iPhone playing music and select via the headunit. You miss your phonebook when making calls, you miss the additional board computer functions without the screen as well.

I would never buy a car without satnav again, no matter whether it dates or whatever, the fact that you have to plug in cables (batteries don't last that long) makes sure that the portable units I use are more often than not in the boot or glove box to prevent the theft of them.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm not fussed one way or the other , it can make the car easier to sell on but adds very little in value now after 10+ years .
The most annoying thing about them for me on the Zs ive had with nav is 99% of the time i prefer to drive with the screen down (unless i'm using the navigation feature ) but each time you opt to skip a track on cd or radio channel the fikn thing pops up :evil:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm

I agree with the seller.. I had a guy interested in my z4 when I was selling it saying that his wife wont allow him one without a satnav.. :rofl:

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

The satnav is the equivalent of playing space invaders on a PS4 .. it’s ancient old tech and is “dumb”

Waze would eat it for breakfast

Personally, I think it’s one more thing to go wrong on an old car . And something that is fairly obsolete

I prefer the look of the non Nav dash tbf

I think that parking sensors, heated sports seats and cruise would be much more desirable

But ... but buy on condition
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm

It's useful that it's built in and it works OK, you don't need amazing resolution for directions.

If mine didn't have it I would have retrofitted a HU that did as plug in SatNavs are annoying.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Same here:

in the end I ended up buying a Z4MC without SatNav as it looked very dated and didn't like the dash with it. However, I do agree with pvr that you also end up missing the higher quality sound system...On the other hand the best music is on "S54 FM" :wink:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 amI would entirety agree with the seller. It's old fashioned and looks rubbish. If I were looking for another Z4M it would be one without SatNav. Oh and yes my car does have it. :thumbsdown:
+1
Never used mine and I think it looks ugly
A Dirty M///

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Attilio wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pmSame here:

in the end I ended up buying a Z4MC without SatNav as it looked very dated and didn't like the dash with it. However, I do agree with pvr that you also end up missing the higher quality sound system...On the other hand the best music is on "S54 FM" :wink:
You can get the the DSP without Nav, although it'd not possible to amend the settings the same. (It wasn't PVR that mentioned about this, before he buts in :lol: )

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm

srhutch wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 pm
Attilio wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pmSame here:

You can get the the DSP without Nav, although it'd not possible to amend the settings the same. (It wasn't PVR that mentioned about this, before he buts in :lol: )
oops :oops: you're right it was Tcochrane92 ! :roll:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive