Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
User avatar
idej_z4
Member
Member
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm

If I was to buy again, I would probably go without the Sat Nav, just becuause it would have been easier to do a stereo swap with bells and whistles.

Everyone seems to think it looks rubbish and dated...but I think the whole pop up thing is quite nifty and will have a cool retro appeal in 10-20 years (a bit like pop up headlights now).
Last edited by idej_z4 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
pvr
Legend
Legend
Posts: 22480
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: South East UK

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Still butting in though :lol:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Jeep
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)

Tbone
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 pm
Location: Dartford, Kent

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Tbone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm

I just use my phone as a Sat Nav, you dont actually need one built in.

User avatar
pvr
Legend
Legend
Posts: 22480
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: South East UK

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Tbone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm
I just use my phone as a Sat Nav, you dont actually need one built in.
You mean the beautiful lines of the dashboard are being disturbed by a phone with a charge cable attached on some ugly screen or vent sucker ? :poke: :evil:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Jeep
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)

markalp
Member
Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by markalp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Having the SatNav screen is good if you also have phone integration.

There are a few things I woukld like to alter about it though.
1. Stop it popping up everytime I change the preset radio station.
2. Change the colour so it more closely follows the dash colour (BMW Amber/Red)

I wouldn't be without the screen though because I know at some point I will be replacing it with a tablet and will be using the mechanism to hold it :)
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Big Tav
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Big Tav » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

markalp wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm
Having the SatNav screen is good if you also have phone integration.

There are a few things I woukld like to alter about it though.
1. Stop it popping up everytime I change the preset radio station.
2. Change the colour so it more closely follows the dash colour (BMW Amber/Red)

I wouldn't be without the screen though because I know at some point I will be replacing it with a tablet and will be using the mechanism to hold it :)
Can a tablet be retrofitted???

Tbone
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 pm
Location: Dartford, Kent

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Tbone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

pvr wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm
Tbone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm
I just use my phone as a Sat Nav, you dont actually need one built in.
You mean the beautiful lines of the dashboard are being disturbed by a phone with a charge cable attached on some ugly screen or vent sucker ? :poke: :evil:
Yes pretty much lol. but then when I drive my Zed I am usually driving for the sheer hell of it, so rarely use a nav.
Tend to go where the road takes me. thats why i bought one, not to do chores and drive for any specific reason other than for the pure pleasure of driving.

markalp
Member
Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by markalp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Big Tav wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm
markalp wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm
Having the SatNav screen is good if you also have phone integration.

There are a few things I woukld like to alter about it though.
1. Stop it popping up everytime I change the preset radio station.
2. Change the colour so it more closely follows the dash colour (BMW Amber/Red)

I wouldn't be without the screen though because I know at some point I will be replacing it with a tablet and will be using the mechanism to hold it :)
Can a tablet be retrofitted???
It has been done before :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBspF_o8qA
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

biojo
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by biojo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm

When i was looking to buy a Z4 it wasnt something i was looking for in the car tbh, more bothered about the seats and colour of interior

But having upgraded firmware and DVD, ok its not modern at all, but it does work, one thing that could fail is the motor that lifts screen up.

The one thing that does work well is the intravee and ipod set up with it. I mainly have screen on the vehicle stats. So thats one thing i would miss now.

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7421
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Berkshire

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Seeing as any E85 or E86 is likely to be 10 or more years old I don't think SatNav is that desirable as it is so out of date (mind you so is my Garmin)! :oops:
Z4 3.0Si Sport - Coupe for added stiffness!
Current - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey, Cirrus trim & 295s. Cruise, Storage and pdc. E91 325i as a DD.
Gone - Ruby Black, Pearl Grey & 135Ms. Xenons, heated seats and Professional speakers.

User avatar
Bad_Pritt
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2725
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 pm

I had a Zed without satnav and kind of got fed up with using a portable device all the time. So I installed a 1-series garmin satnav cradle and mountad a large garmin. It looks pretty oem and still modern functionalities, including bluetooth:

Image

In my latest Coupe though, I opted for the built-in satnav, for the same reason, but also for the value of the car, as coupes are a little more rare, especially fully equipped ones. But is is indeed dated and has no 3D view, which I miss sometimes.

Image
Image

Big Tav
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Big Tav » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 pm
I had a Zed without satnav and kind of got fed up with using a portable device all the time. So I installed a 1-series garmin satnav cradle and mountad a large garmin. It looks pretty oem and still modern functionalities, including bluetooth:

Image

In my latest Coupe though, I opted for the built-in satnav, for the same reason, but also for the value of the car, as coupes are a little more rare, especially fully equipped ones. But is is indeed dated and has no 3D view, which I miss sometimes.

Image
.

How did you do that mate?

User avatar
Bad_Pritt
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2725
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am

Image

Online
User avatar
MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2697
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by MACK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Well as you can see OP this one well and truly divides opinion. I'm in the without camp personally as I think it spoils the dash.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

Mods- F/L Xenons 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights Clear 3rd Brake Light M Sport E/H Seats & MFSW 3M Carbon Wrap Dash Trims Parrot MKi9100 screen in ashtray Cruise MM Tips ZHP B4s and M Spec tyre sizes 3.64 DIFF

biojo
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Sat Nav or Not in a Z4 Coupe?

Post by biojo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 pm
I had a Zed without satnav and kind of got fed up with using a portable device all the time. So I installed a 1-series garmin satnav cradle and mountad a large garmin. It looks pretty oem and still modern functionalities, including bluetooth:

Image

In my latest Coupe though, I opted for the built-in satnav, for the same reason, but also for the value of the car, as coupes are a little more rare, especially fully equipped ones. But is is indeed dated and has no 3D view, which I miss sometimes.

Image
When you say no 3d, do you mean like the perspective view?

Image

Post Reply