Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coil overs

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DEL french

Coil overs

Post by DEL french » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi I have just brought a new set of coil overs stance + for my 2006 z4 coupe 3.0 si will I need short drop links ?

Newbers

Coil overs

Post by Newbers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

No. You'll be fine with OEM (at sensible ride height - not sure about if it's scraping the floor)
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Coil overs

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am

Newbers wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 amNo. You'll be fine with OEM (at sensible ride height - not sure about if it's scraping the floor)
Not correct - with the Stance + stuff (budget coilovers) you need short drop links from a Peugeot 406 saloon (rear droplinks) for the front axle of your Z4.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Newbers

Coil overs

Post by Newbers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I fitted KW Variant 2's with everything else OEM (or Mehyle HD) and there is no problem at all. No clearance issues. ARB looks fine. I run a bit lower than Sport suspension but can still get over speed bumps.

I'd never heard of Stance+ but looking on their website they don't appear to do a Z4 version. Are you using kit for a 3 Series?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Coil overs

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Newbers wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pmI fitted KW Variant 2's with everything else OEM (or Mehyle HD) and there is no problem at all. No clearance issues. ARB looks fine. I run a bit lower than Sport suspension but can still get over speed bumps.

I'd never heard of Stance+ but looking on their website they don't appear to do a Z4 version. Are you using kit for a 3 Series?

KW will have adjustable drop link mouting points, ive used something simmlar myself before (HSD Mono pro) which means you can use the OEM droplink.

THe mounting position on the e46 and cheap Z4 kits are in a different place a lot further down the strut so the oem droplink wont go anywhere near.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Newbers

Coil overs

Post by Newbers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 am

On KW the only adjustment is the height and the damping. Just one hole to bolt the droplinks.

TempusFugit

Coil overs

Post by TempusFugit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 pm

I have pretty much decided that BC BR will be the ones I go for, maybe in a couple of months time.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications ... 02-08.html

DEL french

Coil overs

Post by DEL french » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi if your after a set of so called (budget coil overs) here is a link to venom motorsport they come with short drop links. £220 http://www.venommotorsport.com/suspensi ... rs/bmw-z4/

The Stance+ Street ride height adjustable Coilover suspension kits have been engineered and built to a very high standard. The units are made from Steel and powder coated Black to help weather protection. The kits are made exclusively for Stance+ and are meticulously inspected throughout the build process ensuring you get the very best quality suspension possible.
Each Coilover has been designed to ride firmer than the factory fitted suspension. The dampers are oil filled and are approximately 25%-30% stiffer, giving a firm yet forgiving ride quality. The springs are powder coated and the kits also benefits from built in bump stops, helper springs and shorter piston rods which also help provide a smoother ride. Each Stance+ Street Coilover kit is fully height adjustable by the millimetre. Our kits will lower from 30mm-80mm (most applications).
By fitting one of our Stance+ Street Coilover kits you will notice huge improvements in the handling and the on-road performance of your car. Not only will the car be lower but it will also handle a lot better than the standard O.E

NeilP

Coil overs

Post by NeilP » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 am

TempusFugit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 pmI have pretty much decided that BC BR will be the ones I go for, maybe in a couple of months time.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/bmw-coilovers/bmw-z4-e85-02-08.html
The droplinks that come with the kit isn't that good - go for a set of Meyle HD droplinks from something as said above like a peugeot 407 or alfa 147

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Coil overs

Post by ben g » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 am

DEL french wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pmHi if your after a set of so called (budget coil overs) here is a link to venom motorsport they come with short drop links. £220 http://www.venommotorsport.com/suspension/stanceplus/street-coilovers/bmw-z4/

The Stance+ Street ride height adjustable Coilover suspension kits have been engineered and built to a very high standard. The units are made from Steel and powder coated Black to help weather protection. The kits are made exclusively for Stance+ and are meticulously inspected throughout the build process ensuring you get the very best quality suspension possible.
Each Coilover has been designed to ride firmer than the factory fitted suspension. The dampers are oil filled and are approximately 25%-30% stiffer, giving a firm yet forgiving ride quality. The springs are powder coated and the kits also benefits from built in bump stops, helper springs and shorter piston rods which also help provide a smoother ride. Each Stance+ Street Coilover kit is fully height adjustable by the millimetre. Our kits will lower from 30mm-80mm (most applications).
By fitting one of our Stance+ Street Coilover kits you will notice huge improvements in the handling and the on-road performance of your car. Not only will the car be lower but it will also handle a lot better than the standard O.E
They must surely be a huge pile of turd for £220?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Coil overs

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

ben g wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 am
DEL french wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pmHi if your after a set of so called (budget coil overs) here is a link to venom motorsport they come with short drop links. £220 http://www.venommotorsport.com/suspension/stanceplus/street-coilovers/bmw-z4/

They must surely be a huge pile of turd for £220?

Had them on for over a year now no issues. Probably had about 10-20 sets of budget coil overs now and never had any problems at all - the ride is a little less compliant than standard m sport. Obviously the longevity is questionable but for the price it doesn't bother me as I never usually keep any cars over a year, however like I say, on the z4 they are still functioning correctly.I welcome anyone drive my car and give their opinion :thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

DEL french

Coil overs

Post by DEL french » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Update
Stance + coil overs for my 2006 z4 coupe 3.0 si
Must surely be a huge pile of turd for £220?
In short yes they are!
I have removed these and fitted BC Racing coil overs, what a difference i should have fitted these in the first place.

tomrdy

Coil overs

Post by tomrdy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:50 am

DEL french wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:51 pm Update
Stance + coil overs for my 2006 z4 coupe 3.0 si
Must surely be a huge pile of turd for £220?
In short yes they are!
I have removed these and fitted BC Racing coil overs, what a difference i should have fitted these in the first place.
Question for you as I've been considering that kit in the future - does the front strut need to be dropped in order to adjust the camber plate/bolts? I have not been able to find an answer but I have a feeling it does as the hole in our strut towers are quite small!

Also, did you end up using the OEM drop links or the BC ones that come with?
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

DEL french

Coil overs

Post by DEL french » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 pm

The front strut dose not need to be dropped in order to adjust its a tight fit but i think there is just enough room.
BC supply shortened drop links 220mm in the kit.
hope this helps.

tomrdy

Coil overs

Post by tomrdy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

DEL french wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 pm The front strut dose not need to be dropped in order to adjust its a tight fit but i think there is just enough room.
BC supply shortened drop links 220mm in the kit.
hope this helps.
Perfect exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks!
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia