Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
chrisgreen

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Always regretted not doing one of these for my m3 and it got so far that I couldn’t face the prospect of going back from 2 years worth of photos and work so thought I’d start a fresh with the z4.

With the departure of my mk4 golf which id owned for 10 years I decided to invest in a nice daily driver.

I'd make the mistake in the past of always buying the first car I saw and getting too excited and parting with cash before my brain had fully engaged! so this time I searched for about a month when I came across this lovely example in Edinburgh with 60k miles, heated seats, Bluetooth, oem wind deflector, immaculate paintwork which had been freshly detailed and new brakes all round. The underbody was also exceptionally clean and had only done about 2k miles over the last few years so I assume had just been used as a summer car. A few calls with the seller confirmed he too was an enthusiast and had looked after the car - with that I booked a sleazyjet flight to Edinburgh and picked her up!

The drive home back to Bristol was long (google said 7 hours but it was more like 13!) anyway all was good apart from dreadful tramlining and the car trying to kill me on the motorway.

First job was noise - so sound generator foam removed and wow what a difference it made. I only removed the first part as didn’t want the car to be overly loud but it sounds great! Image

The m54 engine is really lovely and sweet sounding so this modification really enjoys the experience without any drone.

Next job was an oil change and full service - the state of the oil filter!!Image

I also got the car fully undersealed ready for winter duties!

Was also on the original spark plugs so they were definitely due a change

Changing the plugs made a huge difference to the throttle response - so much more responsive even not on sport mode.

Next was the tatty old interior plastics - sure I could have gone oem but fancied a little change - so got some nice suede type material from fleabay and wrapped them. Very pleased with the results

Car also developed a slight misfire but new coils rectified thatImage

Weekend away in Pembrokeshire and the zed was loving it - apart from the tramlining! Image

Tyres were finally addressed - the rears already had non run flats but the fronts were rft so the handling was interesting to say the least. Went for some Goodyear eagle f1s on the front which has transformed the car! Forgot to take a picture but great service from kwik fit mobile after got mucked about by local tyre fitters.

That brings me up to date- next on the list is cruise control and a new gearknob - fancied something different from the 'ZHP' so going down the bmw performance gearknob which I believe is stainless steel and alcantara.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW- ... Sw~kZZkVjW

On the whole very much enjoying z4 life - so much so I rarely drive my m3 now - just sits on the drive looking pretty!
Last edited by chrisgreen on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by ben g » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Nice write up :thumbsup: important bits first, of course! I'd recommend eibach springs if it's on originals and spacers if you're keeping the standard alloys.

Oh and definitely a strut brace for these barges!
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

LordOxygen

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:38 pmstrut brace
Which one would you recommend ?
(I also have a pre face 3L m54)

Nice thread OP.
Both bits of sound gen foam out are a bit much with the roof up. But fine (better imo) with the roof down.

srhutch

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by srhutch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 pm

What have you protected the underside with?

csquire4

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by csquire4 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Nice car.

On the gearknob I would recommend Stormwerks V2, very weighty, really smooths out the change and real high quality engineering.

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/interio ... _knobs_v2/
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Steve.Eagle

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by Steve.Eagle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Please excuse my probably dumb question that's probably been asked a thousand times but what's the sound generator foam????

I've only had my car 3 weeks now and eager to get modding!!

Vornwend

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by Vornwend » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Steve.Eagle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 pm Please excuse my probably dumb question that's probably been asked a thousand times but what's the sound generator foam????

Its 2 pieces of foam inside a plastic tube that goes from the airbox into the bulkhead behind the dash. You can just pull the tube out at the bulkhead end and fish out one or both pieces of foam to change the level of noise you hear in the cabin - 2 minute job. I removed the smaller bit a few weeks ago and did notice a nice step up in sound, may try taking both out but a lot on here say that the noise is then ear splitting :o Like you I'm new to Z4 ownership , next on my list is the CDV delete.
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

chrisgreen

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Steve.Eagle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 pm Please excuse my probably dumb question that's probably been asked a thousand times but what's the sound generator foam????

Yep it’s an easy mod - but only on 3ltr zed - BMw didn’t put one on the 2.5 or below
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi

LordOxygen

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Vornwend wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 pmthe noise is then ear splitting
It's not to bad at all with the roof down, just sounds like an induction kit. With the roof up it can resonate in the cabin but depends largely on how you use the throttle. I drove a 1000 miles around Europe this summer with both bits of foam out (roof up and down) and it was fine, they've been out ever since. But then I like noisy cars :D
chrisgreen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pmYep it’s an easy mod - but only on 3ltr zed - BMw didn’t put one on the 2.5 or below
You can buy the sound generator and retrofit to engines that didn't come with it, like the 2.5L

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by paddy wright » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Car looks great- welcome!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

ZedM

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by ZedM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:14 pm

LordOxygen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm
Vornwend wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 pmthe noise is then ear splitting
It's not to bad at all with the roof down, just sounds like an induction kit. With the roof up it can resonate in the cabin but depends largely on how you use the throttle. I drove a 1000 miles around Europe this summer with both bits of foam out (roof up and down) and it was fine, they've been out ever since. But then I like noisy cars :D
chrisgreen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pmYep it’s an easy mod - but only on 3ltr zed - BMw didn’t put one on the 2.5 or below
You can buy the sound generator and retrofit to engines that didn't come with it, like the 2.5L
Yup, mine was retrofitted by the previous owner. :)
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

davros

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by davros » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Here’s a YouTube link to the sound generator mod...
https://youtu.be/UVijH3_C1ZY
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

chrisgreen

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm

New bmw performance gearknob arrived tonight - I like it. Very short throw and feels weighty. Just need an alcantara gaiter to match

'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi

Steve.Eagle

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by Steve.Eagle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 am

chrisgreen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Yep it’s an easy mod - but only on 3ltr zed - BMw didn’t put one on the 2.5 or below
Damn, that's me out then..... mines a 2.5!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My Silver ‘04 Zed Thread

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 am

This should be an interesting read as time goes by OP. :thumbsup:

BTW I love the Ellipsoid wheels - plus they're much easier to clean than MV2s, and won't deteriorate like 108s!

Mine had the foam out when I got it, and a non-standard rear box so that covered the noise aspect!

I've bought a set of winters that aren't RFTs, so I've just to get them fitted to see how that goes!

I like your new knob (!) but I'm still happy I bought a ZHP!

Looks like maybe I need to start a thread once I've got the non-RFTs on! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black