Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adjustable Rear Camber Arms

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 am

OK, I'm soon going to be taking my 3.0i E85 on Eibach Springs in for alignment.(Eibachs are a 15mm drop over M Sport suspension, 30mm over SE for those reading this that don't know). Before I do I could do with knowing if I need to fit some rear camber arms. Its my intention to reduce the rear camber to somewhere in the region on 1 to 1.5 degrees as per recommendations on here and other forums. I certainly want to end up with no more than the 1.5 degrees a Z4M.

Does anyone know if this is achievable with the available adjustment of standard camber arms with Eibachs? Or do I need aftermarket ones?

Thanks in advance
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 am

Nope your standard arms are ajustable and will be fine. I had about 2 2-5 on standard arms.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 am Nope your standard arms are adjustable and will be fine. I had about 2 2-5 on standard arms.
He's looking for less than or equal to 1.5 degrees...

I couldn't get below 1.5 and I had to replace the bushes where the camber bolt is to get that. A worn bush sags more giving more camber and the bolt was on its minimum setting.

Camber arms are a pain to fit, it's anther modification to declare and hopefully not needed.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm

I got 1 degree on my standard arms. I was just saying they are adjustable and he wouldnt?shouldnt need to worry about aftermarket.

And yeah if you have shoot bushes they will need replacing. Thats just car life.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm I got 1 degree on my standard arms. I was just saying they are adjustable and he wouldnt?shouldnt need to worry about aftermarket.

And yeah if you have shoot bushes they will need replacing. Thats just car life.
Steve84N wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:48 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 am Nope your standard arms are adjustable and will be fine. I had about 2 2-5 on standard arms.
He's looking for less than or equal to 1.5 degrees...

I couldn't get below 1.5 and I had to replace the bushes where the camber bolt is to get that. A worn bush sags more giving more camber and the bolt was on its minimum setting.

Camber arms are a pain to fit, it's anther modification to declare and hopefully not needed.
Thanks Matt and Steve.
I will check the bushes are OK, if not replace them then go for an alignment and hope for the best. If I can get 1.5 or pretty damn close I will take it. Any less would be a bonus. If it's nearer 2 than 1.5 I think I will have to go back after installing some adjustable arms.

Cheers
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 am

I can’t see you having any problems with what your trying to do with the standard arms.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Just to update this. Finally had my car aligned a few days back. Unfortunately they couldnt get anything less than 2.3 negative camber on the rear without the toe being "way way out."
I should probably mention i'm running m spec tyres sizes on my 107s as well as the eibachs which probably increases the initial rear camber even more, meaning it's even harder to get to 1.5 on standard arms. I do have 20mm rear spacers on there as well but I don't think they would effect the camber.
Front wise they got to 1.4 with the camber pins pulled which seems a decent enough result.
I guess if I want to reduce the camber on the rear it's going to need a set of adjustable arms.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm

What's it like to drive now after the alignment?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm

dhobbs wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm What's it like to drive now after the alignment?
It's alot better but to be honest it couldn't have been much worse to start with. The combined effect of changing the front trailing arms, front trailing arm rear bushes, rear trailing arm bushes and limiter kit. Eibach springs and Bilstein B4 shocks as well as changing to M spec tyre sizes and 15/20mm spacers had all seriously screwed up the alignment. For example I had 42' of toe in on the left front and 38' of toe out on the right front before they started the alignment, not good! 😁it was bloody awful to drive!

All in though over how it was originally it's a decent improvement. The suspension is much better, no where near as crashy and much better dampened. Every bump doesn't try to throw me into the roof lining any more. Handling wise there's less roll as you would expect from a 15mm drop and turn in is much better, much less understeery. In general the whole car feels much more stable and responsive on the road and just nicer to drive in general.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 am

That's good news. I still need to get my alignment done after fitting the b12 kit. I'm tempted by the CSL settings.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:19 am

dhobbs wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 amThat's good news. I still need to get my alignment done after fitting the b12 kit. I'm tempted by the CSL settings.
How you finding the B12 kit? Whats the ride like?Hopefully if your running non m tyre sizes the 1.5 degrees of rear camber will be just about achievable using the standard arms, especially if you use new bushes in the camber arms.

Daft as it sounds I did have a B12 kit for mine but then ultimately opted for the B4 shocks, crazy I know! It was the fact the B8 shocks are uprated over M Sport ones by 10-20% that worried me in terms of day to day ride quality and after months and months of indecision I finally decided I would try the B4 ones first.

I was aiming for the Z4M/CSL settings with as much front camber as I could evenly get. I think the only difference between the CSL and the Z4M setting is the rear toe. With the Z4M having 11' and the CSL having 04' so they pretty close really. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed on the rear camber front so I may invest in some adjustable rear arms and see if I can get the 2.3 down to at least 1.5, if not 1.2-3ish. Its just justifying the cost of them and another alignment!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 pm

To be honest, i think the b12 kit is a bit too responsive. Not quite crashy but needs a perfectly smooth road. Its almost as if the spring is too hard and it doesn't smooth out the bumps, feels like the car pivots between the front and the back if that makes sense.
On a positive note it does handle way better around the twisties, but that could have my old suspension being knackered.
The drop does look much better than the standard m-sport height!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm

dhobbs wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 pmTo be honest, i think the b12 kit is a bit too responsive. Not quite crashy but needs a perfectly smooth road. Its almost as if the spring is too hard and it doesn't smooth out the bumps, feels like the car pivots between the front and the back if that makes sense.
On a positive note it does handle way better around the twisties, but that could have my old suspension being knackered.
The drop does look much better than the standard m-sport height!
Thanks, what you've said makes me think for me the B4 was the better option. My old suspension was well and truly knackered as well. So much so that the car no longer has an issue with some of the road humps it used to. Despite the fact that it's an extra 15mm lower. Definitely improved through the twisties, which I think is down to the combination of slightly lower springs and decent shocks dialling out most of the roll and of course a decent alignment.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport