Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wipers?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

wipers?

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm

TomK wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 pm What do modern wiper blades do that 10 yr old ones don't out of interest?
Perhaps don't do anything particularly new, just do what they should do better! For example the Michelin ones seem to address the main gripes I have:
  • Independent Suspension Tertiary:
Adjusts to windscreen’s shape/curvature to help maintain complete wiper blade contact.

• Smart Flex Secondary:
Holds wiper ends down on windscreen for optimum wipe performance.

• Riveted Smart Hinge:
Provides maximum lateral strength to eliminate twisting of the frame during the wipe and to hold a secure, consistent position on the windscreen.

• Actively responds to windscreen shape or curvature across the entire wipe pattern.

Then you have the special coatings like the Graphite on the Lucas Clearvision. They are certainly not all created equally. Anyway, I have the Michelins on order so will be sure to post an unbiased review when I test them out.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Buckz

wipers?

Post by Buckz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 pm

updating this, I have had a set of michelins on the car for a while now and they wipe really well and are much quieter than the bosch I had on before.

there's a problem that the passengers side still hangs in the air(too long I guess) and it is pressed too much against the windscreen which results in a "small" tick every time the passengers side wiper moves..

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

wipers?

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Were they the Stealth? As Ben G stated, the 19" & 20" might actually be the optimal size.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Buckz

wipers?

Post by Buckz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pmWere they the Stealth? As Ben G stated, the 19" & 20" might actually be the optimal size.
yup, 20/21 inch as recommended by BMW but I am sure a shorter wiper would work better on the passengers side. Drivers is fine.

TomK

wipers?

Post by TomK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm
TomK wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 pm What do modern wiper blades do that 10 yr old ones don't out of interest?
Perhaps don't do anything particularly new, just do what they should do better! For example the Michelin ones seem to address the main gripes I have:
  • Independent Suspension Tertiary:
Adjusts to windscreen’s shape/curvature to help maintain complete wiper blade contact.

• Smart Flex Secondary:
Holds wiper ends down on windscreen for optimum wipe performance.

• Riveted Smart Hinge:
Provides maximum lateral strength to eliminate twisting of the frame during the wipe and to hold a secure, consistent position on the windscreen.

• Actively responds to windscreen shape or curvature across the entire wipe pattern.

Then you have the special coatings like the Graphite on the Lucas Clearvision. They are certainly not all created equally. Anyway, I have the Michelins on order so will be sure to post an unbiased review when I test them out.
Thing is, the oem ones do all of the important bits of that better than the newer 'improved' ones I tried.
Anyway, let us know how you get on with the Michelins, I'm all for using them if they fit properly and are cheaper.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

wipers?

Post by ben g » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm
ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pmWere they the Stealth? As Ben G stated, the 19" & 20" might actually be the optimal size.
yup, 20/21 inch as recommended by BMW but I am sure a shorter wiper would work better on the passengers side. Drivers is fine.
Only reason i went an inch less on the drivers side is because when i watched it go through a wipe sequence, the drivers side one touched the windscreen seal at the top a small amount.

Unsure whether anyone else has noticed this. It was literally a very tiny amount of overlap, so i may just be over-cautipus, but it doesn't affect anything performance wise.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

wipers?

Post by ph001 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Update on the Michelin Stealth hybrids... rubbish! Well, they wipe ok I guess but the egde is lifted off the windscreen even more than the oem and the worst thing is an annoying ‘clack’ noise every time they change direction. I think that was also reported by another member. They are going back for sure.

Might give the Lucas ones a go.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

wipers?

Post by ben g » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Thats why you buy them an inch shorter :headbang:

Is that 'clack' noise when they are at their lowest point, just before they come back up? If so, i've had that with every set i've tried. I can only guess they rub on the scuttle panel slightly.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Tcochrane92

wipers?

Post by Tcochrane92 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm

For the Michelin wipers:

Recommended sizes are 19" & 21", is that correct? For an E85

I couldn't find them on the Costco website, do they still stock them in store? Are they cheaper than Amazon?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Steal ... elin+wiper
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

Buckz

wipers?

Post by Buckz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pmUpdate on the Michelin Stealth hybrids... rubbish! Well, they wipe ok I guess but the egde is lifted off the windscreen even more than the oem and the worst thing is an annoying ‘clack’ noise every time they change direction. I think that was also reported by another member. They are going back for sure.

Might give the Lucas ones a go.
yup! that was me. That clack is getting on my nerves.