Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EPS warning light “delete”

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:10 am

Hello!

As some of you may know, I’ve fairly recently replaced my broken EPS system with hydraulic. All well and good, but the warning light is now on constantly and it’s doing my head in!

Does anyone have any advice/method to get rid of it? I was looking at the possibility of coding it out, but frankly I’m not confident enough to go doing that myself for fear of bricking something.

With regards the bulb, is it reasonably easy to remove or at least cover the bulb up without it being obvious? I don’t think black tape on the top of the cluster would be the nicest thing, although I’m happy to use such a method on the rear of the panel if possible? Or do I have to bite the bullet, strip the cluster apart and de-solder the bulb?

Please don’t say it’s the last option! :rofl:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm

It will be an LED, splitting the cluster is surely more effort and riskier than fixing the fault causing it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes it is an LED and you can't take out the fuse as it also powers the cluster. I used a small piece of black tape over the warning light.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm Yes it is an LED and you can't take out the fuse as it also powers the cluster. I used a small piece of black tape over the warning light.
Might end up going this route but rather hide the tape as much as possible!

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm It will be an LED, splitting the cluster is surely more effort and riskier than fixing the fault causing it.
The fault causing it was a faulty EPS motor. I now have a hydraulic setup off an E46 and haven’t figured out a way to “delete” the EPS module or stop it checking for errors.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm Yes it is an LED and you can't take out the fuse as it also powers the cluster. I used a small piece of black tape over the warning light.
Did you take the front plastic fascia off the cluster and apply the tape underneath? Saying that I’m not sure the centre piece is covered with a clear plastic cover. It seems simple enough to get the fascia off and I can give it all a clean up while I’m at it, I just don’t want to mess about with removing needles etc

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Does removing the EPS effect the traction control system? I would have though it would be using data from the eps to function, steering angle etc. Has the traction control been throwing any codes etc?
Last edited by MACK on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm

2 mins to remove the cluster, another couple to remove the screws and 30 second to desolder the LED - Job done.. You don't ned to touch the needles etc. I split my own cluster recently to clean it, as the dust inside was wrecking my head..

I am looking to do this to mine at some point, and this is the route I will be taking.

PS Mark, any chance of a list of bits you used, and what they came from? Notably the PAS pump, hoses, pulleys and mountings..

Mike

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:46 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm
Did you take the front plastic fascia off the cluster and apply the tape underneath? Saying that I’m not sure the centre piece is covered with a clear plastic cover. It seems simple enough to get the fascia off and I can give it all a clean up while I’m at it, I just don’t want to mess about with removing needles etc
Found it very trying to get the cluster out the dash. When I did get it out I gave up trying to dismantle it as I had found it was an LCD and was worried I would damage the cluster.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... cement.htm

bradz

Post by bradz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm 2 mins to remove the cluster, another couple to remove the screws and 30 second to desolder the LED - Job done.. You don't ned to touch the needles etc. I split my own cluster recently to clean it, as the dust inside was wrecking my head..

I am looking to do this to mine at some point, and this is the route I will be taking.

PS Mark, any chance of a list of bits you used, and what they came from? Notably the PAS pump, hoses, pulleys and mountings..

Mike
Mike...

I'm not sure you do both Hydraulic steering and a SC,,,
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm

bradz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm 2 mins to remove the cluster, another couple to remove the screws and 30 second to desolder the LED - Job done.. You don't ned to touch the needles etc. I split my own cluster recently to clean it, as the dust inside was wrecking my head..

Mike
Mike...

That's why I haven't started with the PAS conversion. I have asked the question of VF Engineering, but not heard anything back.

Mike

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Mike
You really need to stop making things sound so easy Mike! :rofl:

So the LED is accessible from the rear, or does the black mid panel lift out once the front fascia is removed?

I’ll PM you a list of what I bought, mostly just followed the RealOEM part drawings for the E46 330i mind.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm
bradz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Mike
Mike...

That's why I haven't started with the PAS conversion. I have asked the question of VF Engineering, but not heard anything back.

Mike
I imagine it’s possible, you’d have to get an appropriate length belt however which may be a bit hit and miss. Would also require the fluid reservoir mounting somewhere else as it’s “factory” positionig is directly where the SC pulley sits from what I see.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Well, to update and thanks to Mike/Mat for their input, took the cluster out today and removed the front fascia, the middle black panel is held on with a light adhesive so I gently pulled it back, stuck a bit on black tape on the back of the EPS light and stuck the panel back down, used a dab of fresh glue but the old stuff was still very tacky so no doubt it would be fine.

So as the tape is behind the panel, it cant be seen and totally hides the EPS light, happy days!

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 pm

mjennings23, So you removed the cluster and then just removed the front fascia to get to the black panel? Is this the Matt black film that covers the lights etc?

Got same problem and have removed the cluster, just unsure how to get behind to place the tape?

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Yup, easy as that. Just used a thin blade to lift it, the seal was still sticky so held when I put it back down, but you could add a tiny dab of glue if required