Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cdv removal clutch delay valve OMG!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm

.....ultimate sprintbooster is a big supercharger :lol:

....dwarfs all others :roll:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:57 pm

GuidoK wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm .....ultimate sprintbooster is a big supercharger :lol:

....dwarfs all others :roll:
If only they could be had for the price of a sprint booster or remap. Half the cars on the forum would have one!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:59 pm

+1 for CDV (don't like to admit how long it took me to get around to it.)
Re SprintBooster - Wouldn't you rather press the accelerator further down/faster when you want to get away faster/smoke the tyres and have the option to drive a little more normally when your boss is in the car (without having to muck about pressing buttons)? The only button you need turns the traction control off.....
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 am

I still havnt done the CDV delete in my little 2.0 :cry: I feel like I’m missing out :tumbleweed:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am

JINGLE wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 am I still havnt done the CDV delete in my little 2.0 :cry: I feel like I’m missing out :tumbleweed:
Trust me, you are. I was sceptical until I did the 2.0,as was Jamie until I did his 3.0 and his E46..

Mike

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:24 am

MACK wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 am

Again yes I understand, the effect on fuel would come from not using the Speed Booster as a means to negate the lag from a standing start that the CDV causes. With the Speed Booster set as high as it is at present it is bound to use up more fuel, for example; in an extreme case I could easily set off in second with it as s quickly as I could in first by adjusting the throttle resistance. Remove the cause of the lag and you remove the need for the Speed Booster.
There is NO way you could get away as fast in 2nd as in 1st, especially in a 2.0, sprint booster or not. Those sprint boosters are a waste of time and money, all they do is "move" the throttle map, they don't make it any "quicker" you get exactly the same effect by pressing further on the accelerator. Try pulling away quickly in 2nd and you'll see exactly what the CDV does, the clutch WILL slip..

Mike
I don't understand why your trying to compensate for the cdv with a sprintbooster. Having a partially slipping clutch is still having a partial slipping clutch whether you use a BMW sport button (If installed),sprintbooster, remap
or even turbo/supercharge it. The clutch issue will still detract from the performance so you really want to fix that with the CDV removal rather than try to compensate or mask it in some way.

I don't understand why the sprintbooster gets such a bad rap. I can understand some loving and some loathing the sharpened throttle response. but what I can understand is why their sneered at yet It does to the throttle exactly what the BMW sport button does and folks seem to like that. In fact sprintboosters allow you an even sharper throttle response than the sport button does which really livens up the car. Its the same trick a lot of remappers employ on normally aspirated cars, thats why do many folks rave about their remap afterwards despite the headline gains being marginal. My biggest issue these days with sprintboosters is they've become so damn expensive, you might as well pay a little more for a proper remap.
That was really the crux of what I was trying to say, that I'd rather remove the CDV than try to compensate for it in any way, but yes I completely agree with your point.

As for the Speed Booster, I love it. It does feel 'sportier' whilst using it, which is welcome on a low spec engine, and it does feel like I have a bit more power even if it's just an illusion. My initial reason for buying it was because I bought the car with a problem in first gear, it would slip out of it straight away. I mentioned it in my first post on the forum. So instead, for the brief time that I couldn't get around to sorting it I had to set off in second, which was a real pain in the a**e. The Sprint Booster made it easier for me to set off in second and pull out at junctions, and whilst it may not be the recommended solution, it was mine. And it most definitely DID help in that respect, as somebody who had no other option but to set off in second every time, trust me I HAVE thoroughly tested setting off in second with and without the use of the Sprint Booster. Yes there's an element of "If you just put your foot down more...", but would you want to have to floor it at every junction, every set of lights, every gap in the traffic and just hope it'll have the kick to pull away quick enough without the geezer behind you slamming his horn at you? I was able to use second gear as I would normally use first gear, try it.

However, since having the Sprint Booster I find myself returning to it most of the time because it just makes driving feel so much better, like you say, it's a sport button for a car that doesn't have one. I don't have it to compensate for the CDV but I have used it in that way, or at least in a fashion that I speculated that removing the CDV might help, to pull off that little bit quicker, and removing the CDV is the next job on my list.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 am

I like the sprintbooster it works and this "just put your foot down more for the same effect!" Holds no water, its usually spouted by folks who haven't tried them and call them snake oil etc. The car feels flat with it switched off in comparison. I know its not quite the same thing but a good comparison is its similar to the feel on modern BMWs when you go from eco pro to sport but even sharper. No one says "leave it in eco pro and just put your foot down more". But like I said before alot of the same folks then rave about a "sport button" which is doing exactly the same thing. I had a BMW sprintbooster for must be 10 years. I was as sceptical as most about these when they first came out. Got a deal on one with the option to return it so thought what the hell no risk. I've used it on everything from a 4.8 v8 X5 to a 118i. Does what it says on the tin. Mine installed on the zed and every so often I turn it off. The car feels so flat without the sharper throttle. I turn it back on fairly quickly. Mines the older type with 3 set modes but I've usually got it set to red unless I'm sat in traffic for a hour and then I'll turn it off. I've hidden the button with easy access so it's just as easy as pushing the sport button.
Modern drive by wire throttles don't respond anything like as quick as their cable predecessors. We all got used to being nannied by these and the likes of CDVs, dual mass flywheels and stability systems etc. My view is the sport buttons and sprint boosters of this world just remove this programmed in sluggishness taking the throttle response back to what we used to get with cable jobbies and maybe a bit extra.
Ever driven a car with a race prepped engine and cable operated throttle bodies? Now that's a responsive throttle!😁

Actually the CDV and Sprintbooster are very similar in the sense that most are sceptical until they actually try
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

Well I’ve got mine up on the ramps this weekend whilst at my mates work (he’s swapping tyres out before a hunter alignment next week) as I need to investigate an annoying rattle under the car, sounds like a loose heat shield or something, so while under there I’ll have a look at the CDV removal.... without searching the whole forum, can somebody give me a quick how to?

Or is it literally, clamp pipe before CDV, remove it, reconnect pipe and unclamp? What if I lose any fluid? What if I let air in?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am

JINGLE wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am Well I’ve got mine up on the ramps this weekend whilst at my mates work (he’s swapping tyres out before a hunter alignment next week) as I need to investigate an annoying rattle under the car, sounds like a loose heat shield or something, so while under there I’ll have a look at the CDV removal.... without searching the whole forum, can somebody give me a quick how to?

Or is it literally, clamp pipe before CDV, remove it, reconnect pipe and unclamp? What if I lose any fluid? What if I let air in?
You don't even need to clamp the pipe. Literally two spanners is all that's needed. Unscrew the CDV remove then reconnect the two pipes. Job done no bleeding should be necessary. In terms of the work required it really is one of the quickest mods you can do. Access is the issue for most really.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am

MACK wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am
JINGLE wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am Well I’ve got mine up on the ramps this weekend whilst at my mates work (he’s swapping tyres out before a hunter alignment next week) as I need to investigate an annoying rattle under the car, sounds like a loose heat shield or something, so while under there I’ll have a look at the CDV removal.... without searching the whole forum, can somebody give me a quick how to?

You don't even need to clamp the pipe. Literally two spanners is all that's needed. Unscrew the CDV remove then reconnect the two pipes. Job done no bleeding should be necessary. In terms of the work required it really is one of the quickest mods you can do. Access is the issue for most really.
Would I need to remove the undertray to gain access?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:03 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am

No need. Just jack it up and put it on axle stands or wheel ramps if your doing it on the floor at home and you should be fine
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Yes you do. Well, I had to on the M, I’m assuming a non M is the same.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 pm

As above Jamie. You'll need 2 x 17mm and 1 x 11mm open ended spanners. I DO clamp the pipe, simply to stop fluid peeing onto the floor.

Use the 2 x 17mm to break the seal between the valve and the hose whilst it's still in situ, easier than trying to do it with fluid dripping out, then use one of the 17mm on the valve itself and the 11mm to undo the flare nut on the pipe. Pull out the hose, unscrew the loosened valve from the end and push the hose back through the grommet before reinserting the flare nut and tightening - Don't forget the retaining spring.

I then unclamp the hose, and open the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder briefly, you'll need a 7mm socket and long extension, until clear fluid dribbles out. As the system is fed from above via the brake master cylinder, it will purge the air using gravity.

Job done..

Mike
Last edited by Ducklakeview on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Great I think I might fast track this mod to the next available slot :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 pm

On facelift cars, well at least the 6 cyl one's there is a stainless plate that has 3 x 10mm bolts securing it, remove these and it will swing out of the way. The 2.0 facelift doesn't have it.

Mike