Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 spark plug and coil change how to

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the write up!

Couple of things;
1. Why did you gap the plugs? Ngk website says they're pre-gapped - should be no need to gap them?

2. Ducklakeview fraid you're definitely wrong - the n52 throttle body is entirely a backup, under normal operation the valvetronic acts against throttle request to simulate what a butterfly valve would.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/25/valve ... le-system/
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Ah yes, I missed the bit about gapping the plugs.

NGK website says gap should be 1.1mm :
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9823

Mine arrived with a 1mm gap... plus, reading the odd bit around the interweb, others had set theirs to 1.1mm...

And the bit about Carly - we used an OBDII reader that had a 'clear all DTCs' option. No idea if it does anything, but since we had it we did it. For sure, probably not a full on system reset!

A good couple hundred miles in and we're still doing good...
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:31 pm

^thanks for the clarification - good to know you had to adjust the gap, interesting considering they're supposed to be pre-gapped!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:36 am

DTC's are fault codes, not adaptations.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 pm

groovy_hippy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 pmgap
Trying to figure out what I'd need to do it myself.
I'm not clear on the tools.

Somewhere I have read spark plug socket 14mm 3/8, here it seems to be 16mm 3/8. What is M10? I've also found 5/8 on another forum.
What is the right measure for this engine (N52)?? Do you need a special "thin wall" for this kind of tube?

The extension socket, how long does it have to be?

The gap on NGK spark plugs. Can it be left as is?

The torque wrench, is it necessary? Can it be found in any wrench sets or does it have to be bought separately?

Could you point me/us where to buy these tools in the UK? I think I could find everything on Amazon or Halfords, but I would like to avoid buying a whole set of tools that I won't use.

How much would it cost to have all the spark plugs replaced by a car dealership? I'm happy to spend more in the end if this saves time in research and work. Time is - also - money..

Thanks.

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am

Don't try and use a standard short plug socket with an extension bar, unless you have a professional one that locks to the extension bar the socket will end up being left on the spark plug at the bottom of a deep hole. You can buy a long spark plug socket with a magnetic end to hold the spark plug from Halfords. I'm going to get one for my 2.0. I'm not sure if the plugs are the same size but mine are 16mm AF so I'm going to get one of these

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... lug+socket

Beemer233

Post by Beemer233 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 am

jack07 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 am Good 'how to ' Groovy.I would mention a good precautionary dab of anti seize compound on the new plug threads to help with future removal and avoid pulling thread material from the cylinder head at next change.
:thumbsup:
Just be aware that torque settings are quoted 'dry' ....the use of any sort of lubrication or anti-sieze compound can result in the over-tightening of spark plugs and other components...future heli-coiling must be avoided at all costs!
Jan 2007 E86 Z4 3.0si Coupe high spec in Monaco Blue Metallic/Champagne/Piano currently on 18 inch CW4 Sterling Silver Borbets....

I intend to live forever.....or at least die trying!......Groucho Marx

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

andyf1140 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am Don't try and use a standard short plug socket with an extension bar, unless you have a professional one that locks to the extension bar the socket will end up being left on the spark plug at the bottom of a deep hole. You can buy a long spark plug socket with a magnetic end to hold the spark plug from Halfords. I'm going to get one for my 2.0. I'm not sure if the plugs are the same size but mine are 16mm AF so I'm going to get one of these

OK, thanks, I found that one on Amazon as well, but I'm not sure if it's thin wall and will be fine. My engine is a 2.5 si and will probably need the 14mm instead.

markalp

Post by markalp » Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:15 am
Steve84N wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 am It's the valvetronic motor that controls valve lift not timing. Basically it acts instead of a butterfly throttle body.
Erm, no it doesn't..

Mike
lol it always make me smile when I see your posts like this one.. short, sweet, and to the point. So much authority in so few words :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Beemer233

Post by Beemer233 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm Thanks for the write up!

Couple of things;
1. Why did you gap the plugs? Ngk website says they're pre-gapped - should be no need to gap them?

2. Ducklakeview fraid you're definitely wrong - the n52 throttle body is entirely a backup, under normal operation the valvetronic acts against throttle request to simulate what a butterfly valve would.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/25/valve ... le-system/
Its not unknown to discover bent electrodes upon opening up a new boxed plugs! ....checking the plug gap is essential unless its the Splitfire 3 electrode type....
Jan 2007 E86 Z4 3.0si Coupe high spec in Monaco Blue Metallic/Champagne/Piano currently on 18 inch CW4 Sterling Silver Borbets....

I intend to live forever.....or at least die trying!......Groucho Marx

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 pm

markalp wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:15 am
Steve84N wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 am It's the valvetronic motor that controls valve lift not timing. Basically it acts instead of a butterfly throttle body.
Erm, no it doesn't..

Mike
lol it always make me smile when I see your posts like this one.. short, sweet, and to the point. So much inaccuracy in so few words :thumbsup:
Corrected for you :oops:

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Sat May 26, 2018 4:12 pm

andyf1140 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am Don't try and use a standard short plug socket with an extension bar, unless you have a professional one that locks to the extension bar the socket will end up being left on the spark plug at the bottom of a deep hole. You can buy a long spark plug socket with a magnetic end to hold the spark plug from Halfords. I'm going to get one for my 2.0. I'm not sure if the plugs are the same size but mine are 16mm AF so I'm going to get one of these

Got it. I am now trying to remove the rubber ignition coils, but they seem to be very hard to pull.
There doesn't seem to be a way to remove 4 out of 6 of them, even if I keep twisting left and right while pulling.
I had to stop as I think there must be a better way to do it or use some sort of tool.

Another thing that I noticed is that right above 2 of the ignition coils there is a light metal frame attached to the top of the engine which is used to hold the bolts needed for the plastic cover.
I believe I will need to remove that frame if I want to access those 2 plugs - and that needs another type of wrench.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 am

When you lift the clip to remove the coil pack, put a large metal screwdriver through the oval holes of the clip and pull on the screwdriver.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.