Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 2003 E85 Custom Headlights. [Pic Heavy]

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Like them! Much better than the aftermarket setup thats sold here.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Aftermarket? For xenon? Didn't think any existed? Link? :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:21 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:03 pm A 426 cutter for your dremmel would have been a lot less destructive (to the light and your finger :lol: ) -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
I have them discs, but it's better to use something that "cuts" whereas those discs tend to melt their way through plastic. Needed a decent "straight" cut that would be easy to silicone seal shut again. Not to mention those discs are very weak and snap far too easily and wouldn't have been mush use I don't think for a project such as this :)
davros wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm A superb write up and your modded lights look great :thumbsup:
Thanks, and Thanks :wink:
Buckz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 pm Like them! Much better than the aftermarket setup thats sold here.
Thanks 8) I hadn't seen any Xenon Aftermarkets (I don't believe they're available) and I'm very happy with the end result if I do say so myself :rofl:
kis wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:21 pm Aftermarket? For xenon? Didn't think any existed? Link? :)
As mentioned above, AFAIK they're not
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:21 pmNot to mention those discs are very weak and snap far too easily and wouldn't have been mush use I don't think for a project such as this
It's what I used to do mine, but your solution is probably better. I like your attention to detail, the 3d printer etc. They've come out really really well. Very modern looking.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:32 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 pm It's what I used to do mine, but your solution is probably better. I like your attention to detail, the 3d printer etc. They've come out really really well. Very modern looking.
Ah ok - my experience with those discs hasn't been great so I tend to use them on ly on small or intricate things :)

Thanks again 8) gotta consider my next mod now :lol:

I plan to cut the "BMW" out of the sills you sent me, and then use some EL Tape (although I may fabricate some kind of LED panel as EL isn't very bright) to illuminate the "BMW" lettering if that makes sense?

Other than that I need to get around to the finishing of my double din fascia
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:32 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 pm It's what I used to do mine, but your solution is probably better. I like your attention to detail, the 3d printer etc. They've come out really really well. Very modern looking.
Ah ok - my experience with those discs hasn't been great so I tend to use them on ly on small or intricate things :)

Thanks again 8) gotta consider my next mod now :lol:

I plan to cut the "BMW" out of the sills you sent me, and then use some EL Tape (although I may fabricate some kind of LED panel as EL isn't very bright) to illuminate the "BMW" lettering if that makes sense?

Other than that I need to get around to the finishing of my double din fascia
You're like me, a million different jobs in mind and onto the next one while the last one's still warm :lol:

Yep the lit sills make sense........ :wink:

The EL tape idea is an interesting one, I'd like to see it in practice, with the BMW lit up could look good.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:07 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 pm You're like me, a million different jobs in mind and onto the next one while the last one's still warm :lol:

Yep the lit sills make sense........ :wink:

The EL tape idea is an interesting one, I'd like to see it in practice, with the BMW lit up could look good.
Haha, yes indeed! Always the next mod on the mind :wink:

Ah yeah, I love those sills BUT I didn't want to spend the £100 odd or whatever they cost :o so thought I'd look to make my own. I do think though that the EL Tape will be rubbish so will most likely have to figure out a better DIY method (You know, unless anyone wants to sell me a set of the illuminated sills for £20 :rofl: )
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:17 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:07 pmAh yeah, I love those sills BUT I didn't want to spend the £100 odd or whatever they cost so thought I'd look to make my own. I do think though that the EL Tape will be rubbish so will most likely have to figure out a better DIY method (You know, unless anyone wants to sell me a set of the illuminated sills for £20 )
Ha I think I've supplied you plenty!

For what it's worth I find my sill's quite annoying, I'd rather they just lit and stayed lit but they do this whole demo thing and start to flash. And I need to hide the red wire.

Maybe consider an LED strip underneath with a glow sequence or 'dream sequence' as they seem to be referred to as. I have some around the back of my TV and they're mega bright and could look pretty cool for what you want to do. Or maybe EL wire around the lettering?

I'm sure you'll come up with something. It's far more satisfying when you've done something yourself and it pays off. Don't buy annoying sills!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:17 pm Ha I think I've supplied you plenty!

For what it's worth I find my sill's quite annoying, I'd rather they just lit and stayed lit but they do this whole demo thing and start to flash. And I need to hide the red wire.

Maybe consider an LED strip underneath with a glow sequence or 'dream sequence' as they seem to be referred to as. I have some around the back of my TV and they're mega bright and could look pretty cool for what you want to do. Or maybe EL wire around the lettering?

I'm sure you'll come up with something. It's far more satisfying when you've done something yourself and it pays off. Don't buy annoying sills!
Haha, and I'm very appreciative :wink: lol

Yes I think it would most likely result in an LED strip of sorts (with a thin panel to disperse the light) Just depends on how the EL tape works out really. I mean realistically during the day I'm not bothered about seeing them glow, it's only at night does the effect really show itself off so to speak IMO.

Ha yes DIY stuff is awesome. I've done hundreds of arduino based projects too so I'm more than comfortable at writing my own code and creating animations and stuff with LEDs :evil:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 pm

That's something I could never get my head round, if it involves code then I've got no chance. If it's just for night then I reckon the tape might be ok, I was about to say I've got some aqua blue tape you can have if you want, but it looks like I did half a job before I bailed on it. I planned on using it beneath the TV unit but never bothered, however for whatever reason I seem to have taped it all together into one long strip :o

pcube

Post by pcube » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 am

Hey orion,

Sorry to dig up an old thread. You mentioned in the first post that the inner hole for the angel eyes was larger which required custom spacers. Would buying larger rings solve the problem? If so, what size do you think would work?

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:17 am

pcube wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 am Hey orion,

Sorry to dig up an old thread. You mentioned in the first post that the inner hole for the angel eyes was larger which required custom spacers. Would buying larger rings solve the problem? If so, what size do you think would work?
I think the rings go up in 10mm increments. 90mm would be far too big and would probably look a little odd. I'd stick with all 80mm rings.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

pcube wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 am Hey orion,

As thanatu55 says above, They wouldn't fit - you need to stick to 80mm. 80mm is the largest you can use
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

pcube

Post by pcube » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks thanatu55 and orion for the quick replies!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm

pcube wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:25 pm Thanks thanatu55 and orion for the quick replies!
Where are you based? I can print you off a pair
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22