Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HOW TO; Convert Angel Eyes to BRIGHT LED's

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:22 am

scarlet-jester wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 pm
dhobbs wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:11 pm So from what I can gather, the angel eye is purely a lense that’s been blanked off bar the outer ring.
Is that correct?
Yes, that's pretty much it!
Howdy! Any update? Did you get your bulbs?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

scarlet-jester

Post by scarlet-jester » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:24 am

So I got the bulbs in last night as well as spending a while getting it all back on the car. So here are a series of pictures to demonstrate the results.
Full daylight (be it low NZ winter sun)
Lights 1.jpg
Lights 1.jpg (250.31 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Early evening light
Lights 2.jpg
Lights 2.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 601 times
And tonight after dark
Lights 3.jpg
Lights 3.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Safe to say, given the advertised lumems for these bulbs, it is all pretty underwhelming. In addition, I have a canbus error on the dash too - I have not tried to clear it so it may or may not be temporary. There is a local guy wrecking a Si in NZ so I am going to see if I can get a single headlight unit and do some experimenting on getting and LED halo in place from the back - will start a separate thread if I manage to get secure the unit
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:33 am

I have to agree the angel eyes are pathetic on the Z4, especially in comparison to most new cars.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:44 pm

scarlet-jester, i found all led alternatives to be misleading when it came to brightness. I ended up replacing mine with a filamented lightbulb but with twice the power of the BMW original ones. It was a mild improvement. Definitely bigger improvement than with any other led. And with no canbus error. I am now pondering the idea or removing the blue mask and perhaps painting white or chrome the black disk inside the faux reflector to improve light reflection.
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

scarlet-jester

Post by scarlet-jester » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 pm

dhobbs wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:11 pm So from what I can gather, the angel eye is purely a lense that’s been blanked off bar the outer ring.
Is that correct?
Pretty much. To me it looks very similar to the pre-face lift model in that it has a reflective lens as a normal light would and the parts that now cover it over. If you look through my photos you will see all the parts that make it up. Have to say it is not very well done and does not work very well either ....
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

scarlet-jester

Post by scarlet-jester » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:44 pm scarlet-jester, i found all led alternatives to be misleading when it came to brightness. I ended up replacing mine with a filamented lightbulb but with twice the power of the BMW original ones. It was a mild improvement. Definitely bigger improvement than with any other led. And with no canbus error. I am now pondering the idea or removing the blue mask and perhaps painting white or chrome the black disk inside the faux reflector to improve light reflection.
Sounds like a plan. I have found a wrecker (dismantler) in NZ that has a Si. I am going to ring them today to see if they have a headlight so I can have a play around too. I am quite keen to see if I can fit an LED halo without having to cut the front off. I got my LEDs taken out and replaced with a filament bulb in the end too - got sick of seeing the canbus error light on the dash
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I used Carly to code out the light check for the fronts so I could have LED halos but they are rather dim. Never really been satisfied with them to be honest.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Did anybody ever document the diameter of the LED ring required to suit the xenon headlamp inner halo? I've had the bulb on one side blow so I'd like to upgrade to a more modern looking style and remove the blue filter.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR