Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best head unit with nav screen and car play etc

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JonnyConny73

Post by JonnyConny73 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Just got back into z4 ownership after a 13 yr gap. What are the best options for replacing head unit with something more modern? Car has media pro and nav but thinking head unit with its own screen is the option. All advice and retailer suggestions welcome
Attachments
1E1A5E8D-0D7B-41B2-9EF6-E1725FDBACD5.jpeg
1E1A5E8D-0D7B-41B2-9EF6-E1725FDBACD5.jpeg (296.34 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 am

ive got a pioneer single din with flip out screen on it, it seems more than capable, has apple car play, android auto and DAB
Think they retail at around £279

i dont like the look of them in the z4 as the fascia adaptors look all sorts of wrong, but its a case of function over form

18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

iandecjak

Post by iandecjak » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:36 pm

How did you get on in the end, am looking to do the same upgrade to Pioneer Flip up.

What did you do with old screen and was there any problems with fitting?

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 pm

I too have a Pioneer the AVH-3300NEX single din unit. Flip out 7" screen. With DVD/CD, carplay, android auto, blue tooth, USB, Aux, backup camera (need additional camera and cable) SIRIUS capable (cable and subscription required). I upgraded Business unit with this. So here is the list of what I had installed. All cost in US dollars.
AVH-330NEX - aprox $500 (yes over paid but chip shortage) so very hard to find unit.
AXXESS Steering Wheel Control Interface- $59
Metra *AWG AMP Kit-$79
Kicker AMP CX400w class D Digital Amp with low pass cross over $145

I agree with previous post which love the unit and functions. Sounds fantastic but wish it fit flusher with the dash.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:25 pm

I went for a pioneer single din flip out screen. Got mine a good few years back now though when apple-play wasn't a thing, but gave me handsfree phone, Bluetooth streaming and satnav etc.. dvd player for when stuck in traffic jams :D .
I'm happy with it. Gloss black finish goes well with the piano black dash. (Adapter isn't the best as mentioned above, but it doesn't bother me).

The old flip up satnav is just there, redundant, irritating for a long time, but I dont notice it anymore.
Only downside is it obstructs the centre vents.

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:26 pm

I do wish mine had dab tho :|

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:55 pm

I’ve got a pioneer flip up in my M. I don’t like the looks with it up but you can retract it and it looks discreet. Sounds better than the standard stereo and adds Bluetooth , phone etc
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

D.Bryce

Post by D.Bryce » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:04 pm

I have just came across this from pioneer and for the price I think it looks great.

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/sph-20dab

iandecjak

Post by iandecjak » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, it seems that as I have the DSP HiFi 677 option fitted it is not a straightforward fitting of an aftermarket head unit such as the pioneer, the only option seems to be replacing the DSP with a multi channel amp that will work with existing speakers and communicate with the new head unit. All at a cost of course :x

D.Bryce

Post by D.Bryce » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:00 pm

iandecjak wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:02 pm Unfortunately, it seems that as I have the DSP HiFi 677 option fitted it is not a straightforward fitting of an aftermarket head unit such as the pioneer, the only option seems to be replacing the DSP with a multi channel amp that will work with existing speakers and communicate with the new head unit. All at a cost of course :x
Can you explain the differences between the units ? And what some have that others don’t ? I thought it was just a plain and play situation with the correct wiring harness

iandecjak

Post by iandecjak » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:51 pm

I am only going on what I have picked up on the forums and conversations with my local Audio installer.
It appears that my 2008 coupe had the option of a DSP amp fitted which at the time was the top line model before the HK amps were supplied. As there were not too many produced no one has bothered to support it with plug and play cables, I think this applies to similar aged X3’s with DSP.
If your Z4 is pre 2009 and has one of the two standard amps then plug and play is I am told possible or if your Z4 is post 2009 with DSP then again it would be ok.
But for those of us caught in the twilight zone the only option is replace the DSP amp, keeping the speakers in order to replace the head unit.
My Sat Nav is playing up which is impacting the radio/cd/hands free phone; so it’s £2000 to update, try and repair (unknown cost) or go without.
If anyone can tell me differently then please please do………

iandecjak

Post by iandecjak » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:51 pm

I am only going on what I have picked up on the forums and conversations with my local Audio installer.
It appears that my 2008 coupe had the option of a DSP amp fitted which at the time was the top line model before the HK amps were supplied. As there were not too many produced no one has bothered to support it with plug and play cables, I think this applies to similar aged X3’s with DSP.
If your Z4 is pre 2009 and has one of the two standard amps then plug and play is I am told possible or if your Z4 is post 2009 with DSP then again it would be ok.
But for those of us caught in the twilight zone the only option is replace the DSP amp, keeping the speakers in order to replace the head unit.
My Sat Nav is playing up which is impacting the radio/cd/hands free phone; so it’s £2000 to update, try and repair (unknown cost) or go without.
If anyone can tell me differently then please please do………