Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Phone Charger and Amazon Echo Auto Mounts

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Conrod

Post by Conrod » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:38 am

For several months I've been experimenting with various designs for a mount for my mobile phone. I use a navigation app (Scenic), and this can quickly run down the phone's battery on long tours - so what I actually need is a mount for a wireless phone charger.

My original approach was a large round mount that I secured to the top of the dashboard with 3M double sided tape. This seemed to work OK, but on long journeys, especially on hot days, the weight of the charger and phone, coupled with the stippled effect on the dashboard, resulted in the mount falling off quite regularly.

I therefore started looking at alternatives, and came across this thread, which in turn referenced a phone mount design that fitted around the instrument binnacle. Although this is a very neat approach, I could see two main issues with this design. Firstly it requires the use of supports to print it. With PETG or similar filaments these can be very difficult to remove, and you inevitably end up with damaged surfaces. Secondly, It relies solely on friction to hold it in place, and is unlikely to handle the combined weight of a charger and phone - especially with the leverage effect of the phone protuding further into the car. However, it's a very neat design, so I set about redesigning it - resulting in this:
E85 Phone Charger Mount.jpg
E85 Phone Charger Mount.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 783 times
The mount extends over the top of the aluminium dash, with the correct profile for a snug fit. So as well as being wedged into the gap around the instrument binnacle, it is supported by the top of the dash, and is also secured to the dash using double sided tape. It's in two parts, which eliminates the need for supports. The two are then joined with countersink head M4 bolts.

I separated the threaded ball joint from the mount supplied with the Auckly Qi charger and this then screws into the hole at the top of the new bracket using an M5 threaded insert.

The wedge part also neatly covers the USB cable required for the charger - it's routed around the instrument binnacle, and then concealed by the mount when it's pushed into place.

I had originally intended to use the "wedge" design for the Amazon Echo Auto I purchased recently. The advantage of this device is its very clever microphone array. It constantly monitors the sounds from each of the eight microphones, measuring the audio delays between each. Using noise cancellation technology, it can then separate voice commands from the background noise - which is perfect for an open top car!

Its magnetic mount normally clips to an air vent, but I wanted something less obtrusive - and ideally concealed so that I could leave the device in the car without it being stolen. I experimented with various orientations and positions, and finally decided upon mounting it in the instrument binnacle, between the speedo and the rev counter. So I designed this slide-in mount:
Amazon Echo Auto Mount.jpg
Amazon Echo Auto Mount.jpg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 783 times
It's in three parts - the magnet holder (two parts joined by four small screws), and the slide-in bracket. The bracket is attached upside down to the top of the instrument binnacle using double sided tape. The Echo Auto is then attached to the holder by magnetic force, and this then slides into the bracket. The USB cable is routed around the speedo and the binnacle, and again is hidden by the phone charger mount "wedge".

I did some testing yesterday, and with the top down and the windows up I was able to successfully give Alexa voice commands at speeds of up to 60 mph. I've yet to test the quality of the microphone at the other end of a hands-free voice call in this configuration. However, previous experiments with it mounted to the dash resulted in really good quality voice reception with very little wind noise - much better than using the microphone supplied with my Connects2 bluetooth module. With it being located directly in front of me and recessed into the binncale and thus sheltered from air turbulence, it should now be even better.

Here are some photos of the mounts in place.

P1370597.JPG
P1370597.JPG (149.33 KiB) Viewed 783 times
The blue line in the instrument binnacle is the status display on the Echo Auto.

P1370601.JPG
P1370601.JPG (144.12 KiB) Viewed 783 times
P1370606.JPG
P1370606.JPG (180.52 KiB) Viewed 783 times

If anyone is interested in printing these mounts, I'll post the files and details up on Thingiverse. Note that as the phone charger mount is in two parts, the dashboard bracket could be used in isolation as a generic mount. For example, you could deisgn a holder for your specific phone, and then either glue it to the bracket, or incorporate two holes 20mm apart in your design for M4 threaded inserts and joining the two with M4 countersink head bolts.
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:36 pm

This looks like a great idea. Always wanted something the sits in that position. I have a brodit clip but that seems too far away and out of line of sight (plus my passengers sometimes knock it).

I would like to be able to fit the quadlock wireless holder, not sure how that would work.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 pm

Looking at the Quadlock desktop and car mounts, they incorporate a ball joint that could be removed and instead bolted to the above mount. I see that these are £40 each - as much as the charger itself. That's daylight robbery! :D
Alan

Weston Matt

Post by Weston Matt » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:37 pm

Has your car only got 7480 miles on it :o

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm

It has indeed - and it only had 4200 miles on the clock when I bought it just over a year ago! :wink:

Basically it was a collector's car that had been professionally stored and driven only a couple of times each year, and at one point was off the road completely for seven years. It's had frequent oil changes, and as you can imagine is in immaculate condition. It was a real one-off, and I gladly paid a premium price for it. But it's no longer a garage queen, as although it's not my daily driver, I intend to do many UK and European tours in it once the world's gone back to something near normal.
Last edited by Conrod on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Conrod wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 pm Looking at the Quadlock desktop and car mounts, they incorporate a ball joint that could be removed and instead bolted to the above mount. I see that these are £40 each - as much as the charger itself. That's daylight robbery! :D
Not cheap for sure. I have the arm band for when I'm out running, easy to take the phone off for that quick photo opportunity. Would like to integrate it into the car too.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Is there anyone who can print the dash mount?
I would happily pay for one of these.
552C6812-781B-4A6F-9172-644E45B6AC4D.jpeg
552C6812-781B-4A6F-9172-644E45B6AC4D.jpeg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:44 pm

I could certainly do that for you. The best approach would be for you to order the Quadlock mount, and then send it to me so that I can remove the balljoint and modify my design with the correct threaded insert for it. I could then print both halves, bolt them together, attach the ball joint, add the double sided tape and sent it all back to you. That way, it would be ready for you to fit.

I could even add a little BMW badge! :wink:

How does £25 plus postage sound?
Alan

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Sounds like a plan Conrod. You'll have to bear with me as I don't have the quadlock charger so will need to order one and wait for delivery etc.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Very well done indeed Conrod. That is impressive work. :thumbsup:

Now I'm thinking how it could be modified a little to hold my phone. I want an absolute minimalist holder with no charger or ball joint. (A bit like the one on the thread you referenced above).
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 am

That's pretty straightforward. The mount above is in two parts - the dashboard bracket and the charger mount plate. All you need is to design a simple holder for the phone with two 6mm holes spaced 20mm apart horizontally, which are used to attach to the dashboard bracket. The back of the holder would need to be thick enough to accommodate a pair of M4 threaded inserts like these. The inserts are installed by pressing them into the 6mm holes with a hot soldering iron.

The STL file for the bracket part is in the following ZIP file:
E85 Phone Mount.zip
(64.99 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
I recommend using either PETG or PLA+ (basically PLA plus PETG!), or ABS if you can tolerate the fumes!

If required, I could quickly design a holder if you provided me with the internal clearances required for your phone. I'm in the process of assembling a new workstation PC and have moved the graphics card from the PC I currently use for Fusion 360 to the new one - so it would take me a few days until I've completed the new build.

Cheers.
Alan

Richfarr

Post by Richfarr » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 am

Conrod
Great threat I imagine there are a few people like myself saying that is exactly what I need. I see you come to an arrangement with dhobbs are you willing to make more? As I am interested in the basic bracket
Thanks
2007 2.0i S E85 Monaco Blue Beige roof and interior

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 am

Conrod wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 am That's pretty straightforward. The mount above is in two parts - the dashboard bracket and the charger mount plate. All you need is to design a simple holder for the phone with two 6mm holes spaced 20mm apart horizontally, which are used to attach to the dashboard bracket. The back of the holder would need to be thick enough to accommodate a pair of M4 threaded inserts like these. The inserts are installed by pressing them into the 6mm holes with a hot soldering iron.

The STL file for the bracket part is in the following ZIP file:

E85 Phone Mount.zip

I recommend using either PETG or PLA+ (basically PLA plus PETG!), or ABS if you can tolerate the fumes!

If required, I could quickly design a holder if you provided me with the internal clearances required for your phone. I'm in the process of assembling a new workstation PC and have moved the graphics card from the PC I currently use for Fusion 360 to the new one - so it would take me a few days until I've completed the new build.

Cheers.
Thank you for the info and for freely sharing the stl file. That is very generous of you Alan :thumbsup:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Richfarr wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 am Conrod
Great threat I imagine there are a few people like myself saying that is exactly what I need. I see you come to an arrangement with dhobbs are you willing to make more? As I am interested in the basic bracket
Thanks
Hi Rich.

I'd be happy to print these for people, and to also look at designing an accompanying generic phone holder to achieve a complete assembled kit (i.e. the bracket, the phone holder with threaded inserts, plus the two bolts). Assuming a universal design approach (i.e. no need for additional CAD work) I would guess the kit price would be around £20 plus postage.

If anyone else would be interested in this, please post a reply below.
Alan

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Zulu4 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 am Thank you for the info and for freely sharing the stl file. That is very generous of you Alan :thumbsup:
No problem - it's what this great forum is all about! :)
Alan