Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E86- info

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:24 am

Morning all

Looking for guidance before deciding the next direction!

I’m leaning toward an E86 coupe over an E85, so before I make that jump, help me out with any watch outs or good to know info?

A few questions?

N52- common faults I think I know: vanos solenoids and water pump etc. How easy are they to work on compared to the M54?

What’s the difference between the silver top and black top engine?

How common are the parts between E85/6- engine aside?

What else to watch out for- example: any door seal issues like on the E46 coupe?

Finally- what are they like to drive? Looking at an auto.

Cheers in advance!

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:24 am I’m leaning toward an E86 coupe over an E85,
Oh dear. :poke: :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:21 am

I know... I've changed etc etc

EWS Delete PM me

Woodrow

E86- info

Post by Woodrow » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:22 am

I’ll talk to you Friday :driving:
Hint there as to who bought Stuart’s latest master piece.

JamesClements

E86- info

Post by JamesClements » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:24 am

I think the black top engines are a later revised version - think they came in 2007? From what iv read the silver tops were more prone to CCV problems.

Iv had my 2.5 n52 just over 2.5 yrs and covered about a 16000 miles and the engine has been absolutely rock solid, it runs superbly and pulls really well through all the gears, been serviced every 4-5k for its whole life so I think its a testament to regular maintenance really. The only issues iv had a more general Z4 problems i guess - brake pipes corroded etc. Its a great engine to drive and revs freely, although I haven't driven an M54 so wouldn't want to make a direct comparison :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2006 Sapphire Black E86 3.0si | 108's, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach Springs
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot
2022 BMW G80 320D Touring

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am

Woodrow wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:22 am I’ll talk to you Friday :driving:
Hint there as to who bought Stuart’s latest master piece.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am

JamesClements wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:24 am I think the black top engines are a later revised version - think they came in 2007? From what iv read the silver tops were more prone to CCV problems.

Iv had my 2.5 n52 just over 2.5 yrs and covered about a 16000 miles and the engine has been absolutely rock solid, it runs superbly and pulls really well through all the gears, been serviced every 4-5k for its whole life so I think its a testament to regular maintenance really. The only issues iv had a more general Z4 problems i guess - brake pipes corroded etc. Its a great engine to drive and revs freely, although I haven't driven an M54 so wouldn't want to make a direct comparison :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
cheers James- good info

EWS Delete PM me

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm

This thread starts off badly but captures the differences black and silver top (essentially not much)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105709&hilit=N52k

Parts are mostly common between facelift e85 and e86. Some differences around the back end, spring rates, diff ratio etc.

3.0Si is an outstanding engine. I haven’t had to do any work on mine, but compared to my son’s 2.5i, the engine bay is a little tighter, but not by much. The only recurring theme seems to be water pump failure from 60k onwards.

The only coupe-specific issue I can think of to look out for is rust inside the tailgate. This seems to be related to pooling of rainwater at the bottom of the rear glass that eventually gets through the seal. Search “birdbath” on here.

And the e86 is just such a beautiful car, in any colour.

Good luck with your search.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Zulu4

E86- info

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:03 pm

I have the N52 (black top) and the only thing that has needed changing since I got it are the two VANOS solenoids.
It pulls really well.
The only big surprise you will get at some point is hearing the infamous HVA tick, which makes the engine sound like a bag of nails (literally) until the oil gets to where it should be.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E86- info

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Stuart, what a great choice. :lol:

My 1st E86 was built in October 2006 and had the black top engine, my 2nd one was built in August 2006 and had the silver top so I imagine the changeover would have been in September 2006. I didn't have any issues with either of them apart from a dead water pump at 60K miles in the first one and in terms of how they drove I couldn't tell the difference! Curiously my 2nd one was on the original water pump when I sold it at 90k and 14 years so their lifespan seems pretty variable.

A couple of other N52 issues can be oil leaks from the cam-cover gasket or the oil filter hosuing gasket.

Not Coupe specific but my 2nd Coupe had MOT advisories for corroded rear brake pipes 2 years running so I got them replaced in copper when it was 10 years old.

I've only experienced the M54 in a 325ti E46 Compact, but found the N52 a bit keener to rev towards the red-line which is a bit higher at 7,000rpm.

A Sport model is worth hunting down for the M-Sport seats, although some SEs had them as an option, and work out whether any other options may be "must-haves" like Xenons, etc.

Most of all good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 pm

Gents- thank you; great counsel as expected from people in the know.

Very useful- allays my fears on the N52 after getting very comfortable with the M54.

I'm deffo looking for the sports seats as thats been my only disappointment with the E85's

Stuart

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm This thread starts off badly but captures the differences black and silver top (essentially not much)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105709&hilit=N52k

Parts are mostly common between facelift e85 and e86. Some differences around the back end, spring rates, diff ratio etc.

3.0Si is an outstanding engine. I haven’t had to do any work on mine, but compared to my son’s 2.5i, the engine bay is a little tighter, but not by much. The only recurring theme seems to be water pump failure from 60k onwards.

The only coupe-specific issue I can think of to look out for is rust inside the tailgate. This seems to be related to pooling of rainwater at the bottom of the rear glass that eventually gets through the seal. Search “birdbath” on here.

And the e86 is just such a beautiful car, in any colour.

Good luck with your search.
Zulu4 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:03 pm I have the N52 (black top) and the only thing that has needed changing since I got it are the two VANOS solenoids.
It pulls really well.
The only big surprise you will get at some point is hearing the infamous HVA tick, which makes the engine sound like a bag of nails (literally) until the oil gets to where it should be.
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 pm Hi Stuart, what a great choice. :lol:

My 1st E86 was built in October 2006 and had the black top engine, my 2nd one was built in August 2006 and had the silver top so I imagine the changeover would have been in September 2006. I didn't have any issues with either of them apart from a dead water pump at 60K miles in the first one and in terms of how they drove I couldn't tell the difference! Curiously my 2nd one was on the original water pump when I sold it at 90k and 14 years so their lifespan seems pretty variable.

A couple of other N52 issues can be oil leaks from the cam-cover gasket or the oil filter hosuing gasket.

Not Coupe specific but my 2nd Coupe had MOT advisories for corroded rear brake pipes 2 years running so I got them replaced in copper when it was 10 years old.

I've only experienced the M54 in a 325ti E46 Compact, but found the N52 a bit keener to rev towards the red-line which is a bit higher at 7,000rpm.

A Sport model is worth hunting down for the M-Sport seats, although some SEs had them as an option, and work out whether any other options may be "must-haves" like Xenons, etc.

Most of all good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup:
What are views on higher mileage cars?

Avoid?

EWS Delete PM me

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E86- info

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm What are views on higher mileage cars?

Avoid?
Not neccessarily. I bought a 325i E91 daily in 2018 with the N52 engine that drove really well, even if it did need a new water pump at 135K!

It got to 139K before I replaced it with my current E90 330i (also an N52) that has now done 115K and still pulls really strongly.

The engines are strong but ancillary bits wear out over time, as they would on any car over a decade old!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 pm
bigwinn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm What are views on higher mileage cars?

Avoid?
Not neccessarily. I bought a 325i E91 daily in 2018 with the N52 engine that drove really well, even if it did need a new water pump at 135K!

It got to 139K before I replaced it with my current E90 330i (also an N52) that has now done 115K and still pulls really strongly.

The engines are strong but ancillary bits wear out over time, as they would on any car over a decade old!
Roger that! Good to know

EWS Delete PM me

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

E86- info

Post by Zedebee » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 am

It’s a really strong engine, capable of high mileages if properly looked after. As Tidy says, it’s the bolt on bits that wear out - water pump, starter motor etc., and they can leak oil. With higher mileage cars, it’s the same mantra as any Z4, buy on condition and maintenance.

The price vs mileage relationship is interesting. Very low mileage cars seem to be asking a big premium, but higher mileage cars do not tail off quickly. There’s probably a sweet spot at between 50-80k, where you can pay reasonable money and have the comfort of a lot of miles to come for very little depreciation.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe