Z4C...attempting to go from write-off to race car

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Toppy

Post by Toppy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:22 pm

First track day completed at Donington Park yesterday in the Z4. My initial thoughts:
  • It still feels bloody good on track
  • The noise is lovely but too quiet. Won't help me go any faster, but fitting the exhaust in my garage is next on the list, as is an induction kit
  • It feels quite wallowy. I started the dampers on a mid-setting and was shocked at how soft it felt. Ramping up to full hard made it better but still not brilliant - perhaps some higher spring rates need exploring
  • Traction control is too officious...even switched "off"
  • The brakes need some better cooling...a couple of times they came back in smoking. No fade with the RS29 pads but obviously getting very hot
Overall it was a great day - the car was comfortable to drive the 150 miles each way, and took 250 miles of track work in its stride with no issues.
The rear bumper melted a bit around the exhaust so I'll enlarge the cut-out slightly when I fit the new exhaust.

It'll likely remain in this format for a while and a few track days whilst I research lsd's and summon up the strength to drop the sub-frame and sort that.

Swampy1982

Post by Swampy1982 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Great update, really appreciate you sharing the journey with us all.

Can I ask some stupid questions (understand if you don't want to answer)

1 - What did it cost you to do the day?
2 - Do you wear a helmet?
3 - What do you do for fuel? Fill up before?
4 - Did you take any spares? Wheels etc

Really enjoy updates, keep them coming.

Kind regards

Chris

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Congrats Simon!

The car likes to be stiff. Did you adjust your fancy ARBs?

For the traction control, the E86 has a later revision of the MK60 DSC unit. Unlike earlier models, off does not mean off. Try disconnecting the steering angle sensor to kill the DSC while retaining ABS. Pulling any of the ABS fuses will kill both ABS and DSC.

Toppy

Post by Toppy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Swampy1982 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm Great update, really appreciate you sharing the journey with us all.

No problem Chris, answers below:

1. I think the day was £250, but I went in a group of 4 with 2 cars between us, and we used an MSV voucher so it won't have cost me anywhere near as much.
2. Yes. I have full race kit, but for a track day just normally use helmet, gloves and boots.
3. I filled up outside the circuit when I got there & Donington has fuel on-site so filled up during the day rather than taking jerry cans.
4. I filled the Z4 up with tools & had the luxury of a friend towing our EnduroKA and put my spare wheels on his tyre rack.

Toppy

Post by Toppy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Liam22 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 pm Congrats Simon!

The car likes to be stiff. Did you adjust your fancy ARBs?

For the traction control, the E86 has a later revision of the MK60 DSC unit. Unlike earlier models, off does not mean off. Try disconnecting the steering angle sensor to kill the DSC while retaining ABS. Pulling any of the ABS fuses will kill both ABS and DSC.
Thanks Liam, it felt good to get it out on track for the first time and that nothing broke having put it all together!

I didn't get to the ARBs, just the damping - I was jumping between the z4 and the KA so didn't really get much time to worry about spannering and setup. Next track day I'll make sure to get to them and the steering angle sensor!

Swampy1982

Post by Swampy1982 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Toppy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm
Swampy1982 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm Great update, really appreciate you sharing the journey with us all.

No problem Chris, answers below:

1. I think the day was £250, but I went in a group of 4 with 2 cars between us, and we used an MSV voucher so it won't have cost me anywhere near as much.
2. Yes. I have full race kit, but for a track day just normally use helmet, gloves and boots.
3. I filled up outside the circuit when I got there & Donington has fuel on-site so filled up during the day rather than taking jerry cans.
4. I filled the Z4 up with tools & had the luxury of a friend towing our EnduroKA and put my spare wheels on his tyre rack.
Top man, thanks a lot.

Time to get my suspension sorted for my first track outing! (Still waiting for dampers, bleeding brexit borders! 🙄)