Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

choosing an alignment centre...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm

When looking for somewhere competent to carry out four-wheel alignment, what would you say is the best, and simplest, question to ask in order to determine whether they have at least basic knowledge?

I'm thinking - Can you adjust both the front and rear camber of my E85 ?
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

PiingU

Post by PiingU » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 pm

You could ask them what effect will increasing caster angle give?

A highly knowledgeable and competent Technician should tell you that it will improve self-centring of the steering, thus improving straight line stability. It will also increase the 'dynamic' camber when turning - which is good and give better cornering grip.

Obviously this doesn't mean you should start maxing out angle values for caster or any others, otherwise you'll find your front wheels will eat away your arch liners and bumper (since positive caster can push the wheel more forward towards the front of the car).

Also check to see if they have a full hunter/laser alignment rig - some of these have factory settings for many cars in their system, if thats what you're looking to revert to?

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:34 pm

If it doesn't have the Hunter gear then go elsewhere.

Anywhere that has it has had people trained on using it.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:02 pm

skelters wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:34 pm If it doesn't have the Hunter gear then go elsewhere.

Anywhere that has it has had people trained on using it.
Doesn’t mean they are any good at using it properly though. I’ve been to a few Hunter places and only one was any good, the other two.....I may as well have gone to Kwik Fit.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:02 pm
Doesn’t mean they are any good at using it properly though. I’ve been to a few Hunter places and only one was any good, the other two.....I may as well have gone to Kwik Fit.
Kwik Fit are doing Hunter alignments too these days! :rofl:
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:33 pm

I go to one garage for MOT, servicing and anything else the car needs.

I go to another for the tyres and alignment check. There's also a guy in this garage that has his own bodywork place if ever I need it as it's cheaper than the garage rates.

Davz

Post by Davz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm Obviously this doesn't mean you should start maxing out angle values for caster
. You'll have a job, caster is non adjustable on BMW's. Z4m can be fitted with an adjustable caster plate but this won't fit a standard zed.
Look for a workshop that has hunter or John bean equipment.
Don't pay over the odds, the adjustment is straightforward, I paid £70. It pays to spray the bolts with penetrating oil for a few days beforehand, any seized bolts is going to increase the cost. Avoid places that charge per adjustment, you can end up paying over £200....you want a fixed price.
You need to do some research on what settings you want, standard or custom? Standard has too much rear camber and too much toe in both front and rear, this causes premature tyre wear and doesn't improve straight line stability at all. If you want some data for a setup which has zero tramlining/bumpsteer, extremely well balanced and stable at high speed, let me know and I'll dig the data out.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

PiingU

Post by PiingU » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:38 pm

Davz wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:11 pm
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm Obviously this doesn't mean you should start maxing out angle values for caster
. You'll have a job, caster is non adjustable on BMW's. Z4m can be fitted with an adjustable caster plate but this won't fit a standard zed.

You need to do some research on what settings you want, standard or custom? Standard has too much rear camber and too much toe in both front and rear, this causes premature tyre wear and doesn't improve straight line stability at all. If you want some data for a setup which has zero tramlining/bumpsteer, extremely well balanced and stable at high speed, let me know and I'll dig the data out.
I believe you can also fit Z4M lower control arm rear bushes, these would increase the caster on non M models as the bush is offset to one side. Some good coilover top mounts also allow for caster adjustment.

I'd also be interested in seeing 'ideal' data for a decent alignment set-up as it's also been on my to do list. I'd presume ride height and larger wheels, to name a few modifications, would also dictate what an ideal setup would be for a particular Z4.

junglist

Post by junglist » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 am

Would also like to see an "ideal" setup! :thumbsup:

I've read before on here you're better off going for the Z4M if opting for standard settings.
Old: 2003 3.0i Sterling Grey
New: 2003 3.0i Sterling Grey :D

Instagram: junglistz4

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Davz wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:11 pm If you want some data for a setup which has zero tramlining/bumpsteer, extremely well balanced and stable at high speed, let me know and I'll dig the data out.
Cheers, that would be really great if you could.
Thanks
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm

. If you want some data for a setup which has zero tramlining/bumpsteer, extremely well balanced and stable at high speed, let me know and I'll dig the data out.
I'd definitely be keen for this too :thumbsup:

Clobber

Post by Clobber » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 am

Z-4-FUN wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm
. If you want some data for a setup which has zero tramlining/bumpsteer, extremely well balanced and stable at high speed, let me know and I'll dig the data out.
I'd definitely be keen for this too :thumbsup:
And me please
Z4C Sapphire Black - DLV mods done! CDV Delete / DLV Backbox Mod

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 am

Another plus one here :D
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

saj77

Post by saj77 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 pm

After researching on here I went for M settings on my non M.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118158

Courtesy of MrPT:thumbsup:
4F2E17A8-7EC8-4753-B4DA-BF531E7528BF.jpeg
4F2E17A8-7EC8-4753-B4DA-BF531E7528BF.jpeg (124.59 KiB) Viewed 597 times
08 3.0 SI Roadster - Space Grey / Dream red, Eibachs & B4s, Z4M alignment

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:07 pm

A lot of people go for the E46 M3 CSL settings too but I’m not sure how they differ to the Z4M
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.