Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Skid Pan Session

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Darkangelv2

Skid Pan Session

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:26 am

Hi All

I recently saw the skid pan session at Thruxton being advertised and wondered whether this is something even worth entertaining in a 2.5Si with standard diff?

I'd like to understand the car's handling limits better (as well as my own!) but don't know if a car with a standard diff is even worth taking to a pan like this?

https://thruxtonracing.co.uk/skidpan
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Skid Pan Session

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am

It's worth taking your own car onto it, as it's your car that you want to learn to control on slippy conditions.

No point learning to control a 200bhp FWD or 300bhp 4WD car if you'll never be driving one.

Don't forget, it won't be a 'drift' session where the aim it so get the car at an angle and hold it there...it will be an instructive less on how to react (or be proactive) in slippy conditions, so that you can get the car straight or under control as quickly as possible.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

tadekk

Skid Pan Session

Post by tadekk » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 am

Oh, I'm interested - thanks for the link. Will bring my 2.5si so can report, but probably only in April :)

Darkangelv2

Skid Pan Session

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:07 am

mmm-five wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am It's worth taking your own car onto it, as it's your car that you want to learn to control on slippy conditions.

No point learning to control a 200bhp FWD or 300bhp 4WD car if you'll never be driving one.

Don't forget, it won't be a 'drift' session where the aim it so get the car at an angle and hold it there...it will be an instructive less on how to react (or be proactive) in slippy conditions, so that you can get the car straight or under control as quickly as possible.
Fair point - and you're completely right. I was probably thinking about it from both sides (safety but also learning some hooliganism). My head has definitely been filled by what we've seen of the drift scene!

brillomaster

Skid Pan Session

Post by brillomaster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 pm

I'd say do it - it'll be an eye opener at least.

though it'll take you a few days to get the hang of it - sure doing donuts is easy, but catching a slide accurately when the back of the car steps out, and more importantly gathering it up and making the car go straight again takes a lot of practice.

so many times on trackdays you see people not applying enough corrective steering, or applying the corrective steering too slowly. which normally leads to a gentle 180 degree spin and park.

And then there are people who do apply corrective lock, but then don't take it off again at the right time, which leads to a car violently snapping back the other way, and pirouetting off the track at speed :o

also, I've found the z4 to be a twitchy so and so... with a relatively short wheelbase, any correction needs to be lightning quick, and corrective steering needs to be taken off almost as quickly as its applied. however, get it right and you'll feel like a hero, and you can scare and amaze your friends in equal measure as you're casually applying a half turn of opposite lock whilst doing 90mph through the craner curves at donington 8)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Skid Pan Session

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Always worth doing in your own car. :thumbsup: I even took my front wheel drive Fiat Coupe 20vt on one. You will learn plenty, and have fun at the same time. :driving: :D

Yorkie Z

Skid Pan Session

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Last edited by Yorkie Z on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Dirty M///

Darkangelv2

Skid Pan Session

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Well, thanks for all the above. Frankly, i now want to do both the skid pan AND Abingdon! And why not!? :driving:

brillomaster

Skid Pan Session

Post by brillomaster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:59 pm

i find skid pans aren't very representative... the low grip surfaces are worse than driving on ice! you can easily light the rears with very very gentle throttle application, and if the wheels are spinning, you'll go sideways. you have to be incredibly precise to hold a slide on a skidpan.

trackdays are more realistic, to get a slide going you either have to be massively overambitious with your entry speed, or unsettle the car in some way with a sudden input of braking, steering or throttle. but there is more grip to be had, so slides are recoverable. though obviously you'll be going a lot faster.

do both, see which one you prefer... personally I couldn't get to grips with a skidpan, cos to keep a modestly powered car with an open diff sliding on a dry track, you need a bootful of throttle, but on a skidpan you never need more than about 10% throttle, no matter what your power level.

brillomaster

Skid Pan Session

Post by brillomaster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:01 pm

of course, theres always the free approach... a deserted car park, TCS off... :driving:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Skid Pan Session

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Track days for exploring the limits, and a 'drift day' for exceeding the limits :thumbsup:

Oulton Park used to do 'introduction to drifting' sessions on their low-grip rally stages - for about £120 for the day. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped doing them and prefer 'non-beginners' :thumbsdown:

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/drifting/

And if you do go drifting, then make sure you keep your hood/windows closed as mine ended up looking like this:
Last edited by mmm-five on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Skid Pan Session

Post by Jembo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Have to agree on a track day vs a skid pan.

Found controlling a car at high speed on a dry track when it breaks away is quite different from a skid pan, in that everything happens much faster, more violently & far easier to overcompensate... letting you into even more poo.

In the real world found there’s a few bits of road, that depending on the weather, time of year & what’s been using it results in a totally different road surface from ultra grippy to an oil slide (rounderbout @ top of Wrotham Hill on the way to Brands Hatch)

Don’t forget to post pics whatever u decide
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Skid Pan Session

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:48 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm Track days for exploring the limits, and a 'drift day' for exceeding the limits :thumbsup:

Oulton Park used to do 'introduction to drifting' sessions on their low-grip rally stages - for about £120 for the day. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped doing them and prefer 'non-beginners' :thumbsdown:

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/drifting/

And if you do go drifting, then make sure you keep your hood/windows closed as mine ended up looking like this:
Perfect little drift car behind you there. The tyres on the Mx5 are nice and cheap. :wink: :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Skid Pan Session

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Perfect little drift car behind you there. The tyres on the Mx5 are nice and cheap. :wink: :thumbsup:
Much easier to drift too - I could do a full circuit sideways in that vs the 2-3 corners max opinion the Z4M.
Trigger’s Z4MC