Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best modifications for new Z4 owner

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
nick_l

Post by nick_l » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:29 pm

I've had it fitted a few weeks now and love it. It pretty much acts like the sport button, but only on what it does to the throttle.

It 100% does not add power. It just increases throttle response. Quite drastically when red or race as I call it is selected. 0-60 times I can't really comment on as I've not tested that out. I reckon it may increase times very very slightly as it opens the throttle quicker.

LeeEdwards

Post by LeeEdwards » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

Hi all, ok I'm looking at purchasing a z4 in the next few weeks. All options considered it's going to be the best fit. Have around 10 - 12k to spend. Would like some information on what would be the best model to go.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 am

LeeEdwards wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am Hi all, ok I'm looking at purchasing a z4 in the next few weeks. All options considered it's going to be the best fit. Have around 10 - 12k to spend. Would like some information on what would be the best model to go.
Lots of options here - assuming its a 1st gen Z4 (E85/86) then a low mileage 3.0si coupe or roadster. Look for the 'sport' version to give the M-Sport seats and heated too if open top
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

CHIMV8

Post by CHIMV8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 pm

OMG where do we start as newbie with 2003 2.5
Sterling Grey 3.0

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm

mac27040 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 pm cheap mods:
stubby aerial
carbon wrap dashboard & centre console
LED interior lights
LED rear number plate lights
aero wiper blades
black kidney grill
new centre wheel caps (carbon)
clean roof
clean roof drain holes
coding

Mods:
Gaptech roof module
upgrade brakes & discs
performance air filter
lowering springs (suspension)
aero side skirts
clear third brake light
M sport steering wheel (if you dont have one)
M sport seats (if you dont have them)
Intravee (if you have sat nav)

The list could go on......
Excellent list cheap mod list, and most of things I did at the start...just missing the alloy upgrade (which isn’t so cheap) :thumbsup:

Would throw in window tint for a coupe, debadge and full detail.

Psenior1

Post by Psenior1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Welcome, not had my z4 either, definitely check the rear springs, one of mine was severely broken, car drove fine before, but feels much better now I’ve fitted replacements. How it passed an MOT like it I’ll never know!
2007 Z4 2.5i Sport, 2015 Ford Ranger Wildrak 3.2, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 LUX :driving:

kaderendall

Post by kaderendall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Hello everyone,

New to the Z4 community- coming from a mk 3TT.

Has anyone got a link to the 'stubby ariel' please- dont want to buy a dodgey one?

On a side note has anybody done the Sound generator mod?

Thanks in advance,

Kade

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm

kaderendall wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm Hello everyone,

Has anyone got a link to the 'stubby ariel' please- dont want to buy a dodgey one?

Thanks in advance,

Kade
Search for the Citroen/Peugeot stubby aerial on eBay or from the dealers, about 7 quid, looks very similar to the BMW part, fits perfectly and is a lot cheaper.

I think most people here have taken at least 1 piece of foam out of the generator, I know my car came with only one installed from a previous owner.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am

kaderendall wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Kade
Pics of your ride please :thumbsup: 8)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

McPops

Post by McPops » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:04 am

Wow, you all have given me some more things to check, like the springs, there is a clunk when pulling out of the neighborhood.
I've already replaced the PVC hoses, oil, headlights, ignighters and ballasts. Had to seal the assemblies due to moisture.
Now I just have to clear up the lenses. And now it is getting to be time for a tune and all fluids.
Really not bad for a 2005 car with 137K miles on the odometer.
Thanks! 8)

Nekko

Post by Nekko » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 am

Well you had the right idea when you said you weren't going to waste any more money on it. But then you must have had some kind of mental crisis which caused you to deviate from your nomal and sane intentions.
Let me try to help you if I may:

What is it about a stubby aerial that has ANYTHING to do with performance or driveablilty. If you think it looks better just remember that you only see it for a fraction of the time anyone else does. And if you actually believe that somenone would ever look at your car and say "Nice stubby aerial", you have more problems than can be addressed here.

If it is not enough for you to drive a great car and just enjoy it then what are you looking for? A nice Rolex or Armani suit might have a similar effect at far less cost. And remember, no one has ever made a nice suit better by adding fake carbon fibre, a racing stripe or just making it lounder.

Performance upgrades are a completely different thing - within reason. Ya, it would be cool to own a Bugatti capable of whatever ridiculous speed they are at now, so if you just want to own one so you can say you do that is fine. Just don't pretend that you will every even come close to driving it at limit, much like the thousands of morons who buy Jeeps and Land Rovers and never see any terrain rougher than a Walmart parking lot.

I like to drive and I like to race. Not on the street, but at sanctioned SCCA events and club races. And I know the difference in how you drive in different situations. And I don't run my track car to drive my kids to school or go shopping.

Everyone needs to get their stupid priorities in order.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:22 am

Wow.... you would really hate my car then :rofl:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 am

Crikey, tell us what you really think, Nekko.
As it's your first post, perhaps you're not aware of the ongoing and completely harmless 'banter' about stubby vs whippy aerial. It's meaningless and just a bit of fun; it's what we find amusing here - sorry if it upset you so much.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Davz

Post by Davz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:29 am

Nekko, if you're having second thoughts about your whippy, I did some market research at work, I asked 10 lasses the question " if you had the choice between a short stubby one or a long one, which would you prefer?" Unsurprisingly they all went for a long one! :poke:
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:56 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 am completely harmless 'banter' about stubby vs whippy aerial.
You say harmless but really it's quite frustrating being on the side that is correct (stubby), trying to handhold the incorrect side (whippy) through the waters that is Z ownership.

:rofl:
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia