Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Pre-Roadtrip Check List

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JGRonin1869

Post by JGRonin1869 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Greetings ya'll,

I have tried doing some searching but can't find a good answer here so Looking for some opinions. Looking for a nice list of things to check before taking the ole 2006 E85 Z4 Convertible on a 2000 mile road trip. Oil was done 1000 mi ago. Thank you for your thoughts.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Brake life, air filter, spare bulbs. Tyres. Coolant change? Depends on where you're going. Maybe switch to a more summer coolant if you're going somewhere baking hot. Check for the rocker cover leaking.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:02 pm

I just did a 2,000 mile roadtrip to Germany last month.

See a short video of it here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ymv8jOC ... e=youtu.be

The things I did before my trip included (btw you don’t have to do all of these but I did because I was going to the Nurburgring):

Suggested:
Engine oil + filter
Diff oil change
Gearbox oil change
Coolant flush

Highly recommended:
Check the health of the battery
Check the health of the bushings
Check the condition of the tyres
Check the condition of the brakes
Change the brake fluid (if you are considering lots of spirited driving or some track driving)
Give the car a full clean as you will be in it for a long time
Install a GROM (this enables you to charge your phone and play music at the same time whilst keeping the stock radio, it also enables you to connect your phone to unit via Bluetooth so that you can answer calls handsfree)
Get a sat Nav with Europe maps (although you can rely upon Google Maps, the latter will use data on your phone. Plus having the option of both is handy when one decides to pack up)

Mandatory:
Get Eurolites
Get a healthy and safety jacket
Get a warning triangle
Get 2 breathlisers
Inform your insurance and arrange breakdown cover
Insure your passenger (2,000 miles is a lot of driving!)

That’s my tuppence worth, enjoy your trip! :driving:
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

On the subject of Satnav apps CoPilot is a good option and it installs the maps on the phone so you can avoid extra data charges. Also there's a PC application called Tyre which can be used to plan routes and they can be downloaded to the phone for use with copilot... The SKCC crowd use this a lot when planning Sunday morning hooning session :driving:

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm all for making sure a machine is in good order, but also let's not forget that that 2,000 miles is only six tanks or so of fuel :thumbsup:

Where will your trip be taking you?
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Breakdown cover is always a must. Not that Zeds brake down. :wink: If not on run flats then a puncture repair kit, jack, wheel spanner & compressor. :thumbsup:

JGRonin1869

Post by JGRonin1869 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm I'm all for making sure a machine is in good order, but also let's not forget that that 2,000 miles is only six tanks or so of fuel

Where will your trip be taking you?
We will be leaving from Chicago IL, and heading out through Indiana, Ohio then to the North East corner of Pennsylvania. Stoping there visiting family for the 4th of July. From there winding our way back to Chicago. The wife and I will be stopping and wineries on the way there and back. Should be a fun trip.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:18 am

Since your taking the wife and as we all know, "happy wife, happy life". I'd get on the internet net and check the locations and phone #'s of BMW dealerships along your line of march from Chicago to NE PA. You can do it on a sheet of paper and simply place it in the trunk/boot. This is your insurance policy if something occurs which is beyond your scope of fixing it yourself. In that, you'll have the name, address and phone # of the closest dealership. Yea, I know, I generally wouldn't recommend the dealership but, were talking potential emergency repair in unknown locations along your path your taking so you'll have to live with the dealership.

Have a good trip and I hope you don't need the list I'm suggesting you complete.

PS: Although I haven't lived there in 40 years, I know NE PA. well.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:54 am

Sounds great JGRonin1869 :D
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:31 am

R60BBA wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:02 pm I just did a 2,000 mile roadtrip to Germany last month.

See a short video of it here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ymv8jOC ... e=youtu.be

The things I did before my trip included (btw you don’t have to do all of these but I did because I was going to the Nurburgring):

Suggested:
Engine oil + filter
Diff oil change
Gearbox oil change
Coolant flush

Highly recommended:
Check the health of the battery
Check the health of the bushings
Check the condition of the tyres
Check the condition of the brakes
Change the brake fluid (if you are considering lots of spirited driving or some track driving)
Give the car a full clean as you will be in it for a long time
Install a GROM (this enables you to charge your phone and play music at the same time whilst keeping the stock radio, it also enables you to connect your phone to unit via Bluetooth so that you can answer calls handsfree)
Get a sat Nav with Europe maps (although you can rely upon Google Maps, the latter will use data on your phone. Plus having the option of both is handy when one decides to pack up)

Mandatory:
Get Eurolites
Get a healthy and safety jacket
Get a warning triangle
Get 2 breathlisers
Inform your insurance and arrange breakdown cover
Insure your passenger (2,000 miles is a lot of driving!)

That’s my tuppence worth, enjoy your trip! :driving:
Only thing I'd add to the Mandatory list is take a small 1l bottle of engine oil with you. The M54 I have will use 500ml over a couple thousand miles give or take. Depending on where your going you may not need eurolites.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Fresh oil & filter (which you have), check tyre tread, check pressures, make sure there's enough brake pad left.
Then just go.

JGRonin1869

Post by JGRonin1869 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Ok guys, 1789 miles later we are home, Was uneventful from the cars fault perspective. Avg Speed of 70MPH and Avg Fuel of 27MPG. Had a flat that needed a tow but sourced the tire and had 2 new put on just for keeping things the same sake (I had a leak one morning and took it to a shop and they fixed the vale stem supposedly.. 50 miles later we had the flat). She is now just over 153000 miles old and still kicking. Thanks all for the input.