Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jag Sold?????

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
inTgr8r

Jag Sold?????

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 pm

BNN Top Stories
India's Tata to buy Jaguar: report

Ford Motor Co. will sell its Jaguar and Land Rover brands to India’s Tata Motors, according to the New York Times.

The unconfirmed report says Tata will pay about $2 billion US for the businesses.

And the Indian automaker is not expected to make any significant strategy changes until after 2011. Tata is also not expected to cut jobs at assembly plants in the U.K.

The deal may be announced as early as today.

mambot

Re: Jag Sold?????

Post by mambot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Just heard about it on the BBc 10pm news....land rover is going over as part of the deal.....i don't think that ford really knew what to do with Jag....wonder whether there will be any changes as a result of the chnage in ownership...

the balance of car producing power is gradually shifing over to the east now.....
Mambot

delivered; 2.0 sport roadster with quite a few trimmings!

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:08 am

I read about this a month or so ago when it was still rumoured that Tata would make an offer. I dont think Ford should have sold them now as Land Rover is allready profitable and Jaguar was just beggining to stand on its feet. I agree with you mambot, when you say that Ford didnt know what to do with them but dumping them when they're just starting to turn a profit is just plain stupid in my opinion. Of course Ford desperately needs cash at the moment but still 2bn USD is nothing compared to what losses they've had. They lost 5.6bn USD in 2006 and managed to "only" lose 2.8bn USD in 2007. I hope they at least put the money from this to good use... Who knows they could even turn a profit this year! :P

I dont think Tata will mess with the Jaguar or Land Rover brand and maybe they'll make a better parent than Ford. Time will tell i guess. Interesting article here If you want to learn a bit more.

What really seems interesting to me is that Fiat wants to cooperate with Jag/LR if Tata ends up with them as Fiat and Tata allready work together in India.

From the article:
"Mr Marchionne (Chief Executive of Fiat) said that Fiat might be interested in working with Jaguar, among other possible partners, to build rear-wheel drive vehicles.
Land Rover and Jaguar’s US distribution network might also be interesting to Alfa, Mr Marchionne said: “I think the Range Rover/Jaguar distribution network in the United States, either together or stand-alone, would have all the requisite elements for Alfa,” he said."

Italian design/engines and Jaguar XF running gear? Sounds great to me! Maybe they'll finaly have the dynamics to go along with those bellissima looks.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:32 am

Man, Jaguar was already going downhill. I guess we can all say Ta ta to the future of Jaguar now. Ha ha! :lol: Come on, I'm sure some of you find that pun funny.
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 am

It's official. They're anouncing it today at midday. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... rs/231887/
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm

takedown8 wrote:Man, Jaguar was already going downhill. I guess we can all say Ta ta to the future of Jaguar now. Ha ha! :lol: Come on, I'm sure some of you find that pun funny.
haha.... :lol:

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 am

takedown8 wrote:Man, Jaguar was already going downhill. I guess we can all say Ta ta to the future of Jaguar now. Ha ha! :lol: Come on, I'm sure some of you find that pun funny.
I do. :thumbsup: Tata also means stupid in french. :lol:
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)