Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The shambles that is audi

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jas667

The shambles that is audi

Post by Jas667 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Ok, so I was planning on getting my name down on the waiting list for the v10 R8...but have now decided they can go take a f### to themselves after the service (or lack of it) I have received for a 100k car.
Ok so I am quite young and am used to not being taken seriously when I go into a car garage (is one of the resons I got the z4 over the Boxster as porsche garage just ignored me when I went in) but my experience with audi was beyond a joke. So, I went in just after new year and requested info on the R8 and to have a look at 1. The guy in the showroom said he would pass on my info to the guy who deals with the R8 when he was back in the office. The guy also asked what car I was driving and when I said Z4M he was really smarmy and said 'quite a step up for you then isnt it.' 2 Weeks passed with no call and so I went back in. It was the same guy I spoke to and this time he was actually quite rude and curt informing me that he had passed on the info and that was all he could do. I suggested he take it again and pass it on again (surely he should have suggested this?). 3 days later I got a call from the guy who deals specifically with R8 sales and he seemed very helpful and we organised a test drive for monday the 21st Jan. He assured me he would call on friday to confirm a time. Friday came, no call, monday, no call, today? no call!
I cant believe I have had to chase audi to buy a car and have now decided there is no way they are getting my money now or anytime in the future. Shame cos I really liked the R8.
Anyhoo, rant over :rofl:

Z4kma

Re: The shambles that is audi

Post by Z4kma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 pm

OK, so now I'm really jealous ... you're 'quite young' and can afford an R8 ... still I'm pleased with my roadster! :D :( :D
2003, Z4, 3.0i SE, 18k miles, Titanium Silver, Black Oregon Leather, Composite Star 18", Cruise, PDC, Xenon, Hardtop

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:59 pm

I had a similar problem when I was in my early 20's and living in Atlanta. I was basically shown the door by the Mercedies dealer in Atlanta. Went to the BMW dealer and purchased a BMW 2002 and was treated with respect despite my age.... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 pm

Did you try another dealer?

Jas667

Post by Jas667 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:29 pm

The guy who deals with the R8 sales basically said they have 1 car to deal with Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling. He was the guy who dealt with it. Such a shame they dont seem to know how to do their jobs. You can get better service at Mcdonalds

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm

You are obviously not moving in the right circles ... I received an invitation to drive one :D ( I must be on some mailing list as I get post from AM, Porsche, Audi, Lexus etc)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:44 pm

It can happen with any dealer when you're young. My first brand new car was a Honda Prelude back in the 80s, and the salemen pretty much blew me off when I went to ask about one since I was only 19. A salesman closer to my age from the used car office saw me leaving, fuming, and caught up with me. We talked briefly and he worked the deal for me. What really pissed me off was when I went to close the deal and get the car, my guy had been bumped from the deal because he wasn't in new car sales - I was now supposed to deal with the knuckleheads that blew me off when I first came in! I asked to see the new car sales manager, explained what had happened before, and told him to call me when MY salesman was available. The next day, I closed the deal with the guy I started with - who told me he'd been promoted to new car sales!
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.

Jas667

Post by Jas667 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm

epbrown wrote:It can happen with any dealer when you're young. My first brand new car was a Honda Prelude back in the 80s, and the salemen pretty much blew me off when I went to ask about one since I was only 19. A salesman closer to my age from the used car office saw me leaving, fuming, and caught up with me. We talked briefly and he worked the deal for me. What really pissed me off was when I went to close the deal and get the car, my guy had been bumped from the deal because he wasn't in new car sales - I was now supposed to deal with the knuckleheads that blew me off when I first came in! I asked to see the new car sales manager, explained what had happened before, and told him to call me when MY salesman was available. The next day, I closed the deal with the guy I started with - who told me he'd been promoted to new car sales!
That is brilliant! I have the exact same attitude. That is the reason I got the z4 instead of the boxster(and what a superb decision that turned out to be!). There are so many competitors for the R8 it is no real loss to me just to chose another marque.

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Jas667 wrote:
epbrown wrote:It can happen with any dealer when you're young. My first brand new car was a Honda Prelude back in the 80s, and the salemen pretty much blew me off when I went to ask about one since I was only 19. A salesman closer to my age from the used car office saw me leaving, fuming, and caught up with me. We talked briefly and he worked the deal for me. What really pissed me off was when I went to close the deal and get the car, my guy had been bumped from the deal because he wasn't in new car sales - I was now supposed to deal with the knuckleheads that blew me off when I first came in! I asked to see the new car sales manager, explained what had happened before, and told him to call me when MY salesman was available. The next day, I closed the deal with the guy I started with - who told me he'd been promoted to new car sales!
That is brilliant! I have the exact same attitude. That is the reason I got the z4 instead of the boxster(and what a superb decision that turned out to be!). There are so many competitors for the R8 it is no real loss to me just to chose another marque.
+1.. way to go. :thumbsup:

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 am

It really depends on the dealer. I walked into a TVR dealer at 23 and they let me loose in a Tuscan S on a test drive. I was quite shocked tbh. They took me perfectly seriously, and they got my money...

I would feel the same though if I was treated like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a lot of people trying it on, just for a test drive, but that's still no reason not to take every sales enquiry seriously. A Z4M isn't a huge difference from the R8 anyway. Ok the V10 will have a bit more poke than the current model, but on the V8 there's certainly not much difference in straight-line speed well into 3-figures ... *cough*... ;)

If I were a V10 R8 potential owner though, I'd still be looking at sending the same money towards a Gallardo. You could get a later model for the same money (with the SE revisions, and better gearing and power...), and especially if I received that kind of attitude!

CaZ4

Post by CaZ4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:40 am

It happens to everyone. My mother in law's boyfriend looks like a regular construction worker and they always ignore him when he drives one of his trucks to a dealership. When he shows up in his Ferrari F40 they roll out the red carpet! Pretty funny...
Andrew and Julie

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 am

I think the only place you won't see this attitude is at a Rolls-Royce dealer - I used to own an old Silver Shadow and the RROC is a collection of the most motley characters you can imagine. Everyone's loaded and looks like he's about to ask if you can spare a dime. RR salesmen must have long ago given up any preconceptions about their customers.
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 am

CaZ4 wrote:It happens to everyone. My mother in law's boyfriend looks like a regular construction worker and they always ignore him when he drives one of his trucks to a dealership. When he shows up in his Ferrari F40 they roll out the red carpet! Pretty funny...
I apparently have the same problem :lol: I was ignored at the Toyota dealer when looking for a truck for my wife, not one dealer bothered to come over and ask if I wanted any help. Needless to say, they lost out on a sale :)
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:22 am

Made the mistake of going into a Renault dealer a few years back... happened to be at the same time as the football was on the telly in the showroom - all the salesmen were obviously more interested in the footy than making any money, just walked out.. neva gone back :)
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 pm

I have seen this in so many dealers... the only ones I seem to have any luck with is indepentent dealers that stock a variety of cars. Obviously these guys get paid too much :x
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme