Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remember these ?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Remember these ?

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:34 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:55 pm I frequently see old Ford Fiestas badged as Mazda 121s here in Sydney. I don’t remember seeing them in the UK, but that’s probably because the Fiesta was ubiquitous there so I stopped seeing them all togethe
Here they are called the Mazda2, Fiesta with a different frock. My next door neighbour has one and refuses to associate it with Ford, but it IS a Fiesta :D Jag made the (in)famous X type which was a Mondeo in a frock.

I find it funny how people are quite happy buy a Ford in any other guise, as long as it doesn't have Ford badge on it. Ford Europe, for all their faults, have made some of the best chassis and arguably suspension for 40 years and yet most people snub them :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Remember these ?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:34 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:34 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:55 pm I frequently see old Ford Fiestas badged as Mazda 121s here in Sydney. I don’t remember seeing them in the UK, but that’s probably because the Fiesta was ubiquitous there so I stopped seeing them all togethe
Here they are called the Mazda2, Fiesta with a different frock. My next door neighbour has one and refuses to associate it with Ford, but it IS a Fiesta :D Jag made the (in)famous X type which was a Mondeo in a frock.

I find it funny how people are quite happy buy a Ford in any other guise, as long as it doesn't have Ford badge on it. Ford Europe, for all their faults, have made some of the best chassis and arguably suspension for 40 years and yet most people snub them :thumbsup:
I’m thinking of the fourth generation Fiesta from the 1990s. I doubt there are many left in the UK. Rust isn’t much of a problem here and cars are expensive, so it’s common to see P Platers driving 25 year old shitboxes!

Rather like your Fiesta-owning neighbour, the Jaguar Mondeo owner I know insists that there are components in common with the Ford, but it’s entirely reengineered by Jaguar and is a better car altogether!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Remember these ?

Post by Pondrew » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:32 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:34 am Rather like your Fiesta-owning neighbour, the Jaguar Mondeo owner I know insists that there are components in common with the Ford, but it’s entirely reengineered by Jaguar and is a better car altogether!
Yep, had the same conversation with someone who paid silly money for a brand new 3.0L X-type. He was adamant it was not a Mondeo, it was very amusing IIRC :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!