Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I've realised I'm getting old...what to do (regarding cars)?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 pm
sars wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 pm If it were my money C43 convertible or 440i convertible
Good shouts, but the C43 to me is not a proper AMG (AMG light?) and the 4 series I just don't think look pretty (also they are a small 4 seater). M4 yes, but then we are going over-budget and into performance that I don't really want anymore.
I agree about the C43. Driven in isolation it seems alright, albeit not especially fast and with a slightly low rent interior. However, in comparison with the sheer theatre and remarkable track capabilities of the C63, the C43 is not worthy of its AMG badges.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:02 pm

tiglon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 am This might not be your thing if you think Jags are unreliable, but... Maserati Grancabrio? Probably over budget now.

Seems like all the options have been covered, there aren't a lot of different 4 seater 6+ cylinder convertibles these days. A quick search on autotrader says you can choose from BMW 2/4/6, Audi 5, or a Mercedes E400 (but unfortunately not the newer one that you would probably want).

If you can live with a coupe it opens up more options with a CLS400, C43, newer S5 and one or two M2/4's. C43 coupe would probably be my choice, not that it matters - glorious engine, good interior, looks great. The S5 is tempting for the interior but overall it's a bit dull.

I'd love a Mustang 5.0 but I just couldn't accept the rubbish interior either, in a car that is supposed to feel special.
Thanks, that pretty much sums it up. No Maserati for me. Running costs, build quality, reliability, you name it!

I did briefly look at A/M DB9s, which a few months ago were in budget, but again the reasons above and that I don't want to smoke a pipe put me off! Parts are stupid expensive and they seem to need them often. Do like the idea of an Aston, though. My late dad would be looking down at me with pride if I had one. :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:10 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:57 pm I agree about the C43. Driven in isolation it seems alright, albeit not especially fast and with a slightly low rent interior. However, in comparison with the sheer theatre and remarkable track capabilities of the C63, the C43 is not worthy of its AMG badges.
Agree with that. I could be seriously tempted by the newer C63S cab; it just looks great and sounds like a Spitfire, but again the whole point is that I am getting old and don't need, or really want a monster of a car and the budget is nowhere near (I have to set a budget otherwise £30K soon becomes £40K, then £50K and so on). One of my problems is that I have money sitting in the bank earning f*ck-all, so it is really tempting to spend it. :)
Last edited by Pondrew on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:02 pm
tiglon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 am This might not be your thing if you think Jags are unreliable, but... Maserati Grancabrio? Probably over budget now.

Seems like all the options have been covered, there aren't a lot of different 4 seater 6+ cylinder convertibles these days. A quick search on autotrader says you can choose from BMW 2/4/6, Audi 5, or a Mercedes E400 (but unfortunately not the newer one that you would probably want).

If you can live with a coupe it opens up more options with a CLS400, C43, newer S5 and one or two M2/4's. C43 coupe would probably be my choice, not that it matters - glorious engine, good interior, looks great. The S5 is tempting for the interior but overall it's a bit dull.

I'd love a Mustang 5.0 but I just couldn't accept the rubbish interior either, in a car that is supposed to feel special.
Thanks, that pretty much sums it up. No Maserati for me. Running costs, build quality, reliability, you name it!

I did briefly look at A/M DB9s, which a few months ago were in budget, but again the reasons above and that I don't want to smoke a pipe put me off! Parts are stupid expensive and they seem to need them often. Do like the idea of an Aston, though. My late dad would be looking down at me with pride if I had one. :(
I was going to suggest the DB9...

Other random ideas, Lexus RCF, 5 litre v8.

Big coupe, Panamera?

M6, V10 convertible and 10k in fuel money? :evil:

Edit to add, seriously, V8 M3, they are great cars, lots of lovely noises and they are holding their money well at the minute
IMOLA Z4///MR

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 pm

I had a Maserati on my very short, short list a few years ago and was about to press the "buy" button when I chickened out due to the potentially frightening costs of keeping one on the road as a daily driver

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:19 pm

I think I may have found my Nirvana. Running costs are going to be pretty eye-watering but as long as I don't drive it, it should be OK. Insurance with my current company is £245 p/a :o
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ars&page=2

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:19 pm I think I may have found my Nirvana. Running costs are going to be pretty eye-watering but as long as I don't drive it, it should be OK
Wow - that looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

Surely life's too short not to? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:10 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:57 pm I agree about the C43. Driven in isolation it seems alright, albeit not especially fast and with a slightly low rent interior. However, in comparison with the sheer theatre and remarkable track capabilities of the C63, the C43 is not worthy of its AMG badges.
Agree with that. I could be seriously tempted by the newer C63S cab; it just looks great and sounds like a Spitfire, but again the whole point is that I am getting old and don't need, or really want a monster of a car and the budget is nowhere near (I have to set a budget otherwise £30K soon becomes £40K, then £50K and so on). One of my problems is that I have money sitting in the bank earning f*ck-all, so it is really tempting to spend it. :)
Stocks and shares ISA for spare cash? I am chucking large amounts into my works pension. Loving that tax relief.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:44 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:19 pm I think I may have found my Nirvana. Running costs are going to be pretty eye-watering but as long as I don't drive it, it should be OK. Insurance with my current company is £245 p/a :o
Could be fun on the roads where you live. :D
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:19 pm I think I may have found my Nirvana. Running costs are going to be pretty eye-watering but as long as I don't drive it, it should be OK. Insurance with my current company is £245 p/a :o
A lot of car for 26k that.

Would take a C63 from the same year over it tho. :driving:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:51 pm

mgrlane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:48 pm Would take a C63 from the same year over it tho.
Of course you would (in fact you did) :thumbsup:
I showed it to 'er indoors. She said "it's a pretty car but it's orange". I said "I know, isn't it beautiful". She said "No it's chavvy. Another car you will like for 5 minutes. And don't expect me to drive it". So another win :thumbsup:

They can be remapped to 679hp and nearly 850Nm of torque for £300. Not sure if the DCT can take that.
Last edited by Pondrew on Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:54 pm

Think you should grab an Aston and say screw the expense
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:44 pm Could be fun on the roads where you live.
I am thinking of all the 20 something, leggy Polish women that I could attract :thumbsup:
Their boyfriends all drive old Passats and knackered A3s :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:37 pm They can be remapped to 679hp and nearly 850Nm of torque for £300. Not sure if the DCT can take that.
Lol that's to much power that.

I can't believe I didn't look at them when I was looking.

Definitely get a well looked after V8 if only for a year and cherish every mile you drive.

(And pray that nothing breaks)

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:21 pm

hi,

my neighbour has just bought something that fits your criteria exactly.

a 2014 Audi S5 Convertible 3.0 supercharged V6 333bhp it sounds nice - you can map them to 400bhp and he paid £16500 for it and its only done 43,000 miles with FSH - not sure if its your bag but has quattro etc it handles nicely and has a nice S tronic gearbox
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.