Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

c63 AMG (6.2)

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:25 pm

H Guys,

I thought I would drop a Thread and a few pictures on my car having owned it for 5 months now.

Extra’s + Mods

-19” multispoke alloys powder coated in shadow chrome
-Quaife LSD supplied and fitted at PCS Horndean
-Eurocharged Remap by MSL Straight piped with resonators removed
-Carbon rear diffuser
-Genuine AMG aluminium door pins
-Genuine 507 bonnet, grille and DRL’s
-Michelin Pilot Sport P4S’s all round 245/35 front and 265/30 rear
-Aluminium AMG insert on steering wheel
-Full front PPF on wings, bonnet and bumper with Gtechniq ceramic coating by SL Restoration applied in 2019
-Full alcantera retrimmed steering wheel from Royal Steering wheels Carbon

Bad Bits
-Small mark on rear diffuser
-One RHS exhaust trim has some pin dents.

My review so far:

Transmission

It’s a car of two personalities. It has 3 modes- comfort, sport and sport plus.

Comfort is a real lazy chilled mode. It starts in 2nd and tries to get to 7th gear as soon as it can (by 45mph) it hardly goes above 1500rpm and just floats around on it’s torque. Keep it in comfort and the traction control/safety systems on and honestly a 17-year-old would be fine in it if you banned them from pressing down no further than ¼ throttle- you don’t need more than that.

Mine has been mapped (running between 520-530bhp so slightly different to a standard but sport plus is the “fun mode” and if you turn the traction to it’s second setting it allows some slip but not with the traction control off. A steady foot and big balls is recommended with traction control off. Forget about turning it off in the rain. In this setting it’s what you see on youtube. It’s a psychopath. It run’s the rev’s up (heaven) quick on the shifts and will light the tyres up at any opportunity in the most of the gears. Fast shifts (when you break it will shift down and keep you high up the rev range).

Manual. There is a bit of a delay for sure but I don’t think it’s to bad. If you shift up ¼ second before you need to then I can’t really see a problem. It all happens so fast so I think auto mode and hang on for dear life is the best method. You can always bang it up and down a gear if you need to via the paddles when it’s in auto but to be honest it knows and is a lot better that I thought.

For the 1st couple of months, I drove it a lot in manual mode - it’s got a cheeky AMG grumble when you shift off throttle from 3rd to 2nd that will never grow old. It seems quicker on the down shift (if you a driving hard then its not as smooth than if you were taking it easy.

Lately I have been driving in sports plus but manually clicking down a gear when I need to shift on (the gear box will down shift a gear (or two) depending on how flat you press the accelerator but if you do it gradually then it will shift down twice and if you push it down hard you will just get wheel spin or nanny electronics kicking in

I am a die-hard manual fan but think the auto-box is suited toward this car and wouldn’t want it in a manual. It’s next level quick and you want both hands on the wheels.

Handling and Driving

Coming most recently from hot French hatchbacks to a Z4coupe it took some getting used to. At 1st I thought I would struggle with the AMG as it felt like it was a “point and squirt” type of car. Basically, a German Muscle car that could slightly handle. I have since changed my opinion with further driving of the car. Yes you are never going to be able to get on the power as quickly as you can with a Z4 and she will never be as nimble due to being a bit fatter but due to no turbo’s and the power delivery it is normally predictable.

Previous owner had put in a LSD (can you believe it was an option) and has bigger tyres front and back compared with the standard car which helps with traction no end. People who have done this say it’s like driving a different car but what ever you do to it- it’s never going to be a nimble 1300-1400kg sports car.

It will still catch you out every now and then- upshifts on full throttle will start a spin as the next gear slams in on anything but perfect surfaces with warm tyres. There is a launch mode but to be honest I have tried it once- it feels very brutal on the car and if I am super honest it’s very counterintuitive keeping your foot buried in this car- your natural instincts for survival deter you from this.

Interior

Nothing to write home about really. Seats are amazing- probably the best standard seats I have ever sat in and the interior is simple and elegant.

I have since owned added apple car play (and android) and also a parking camera so it does everything you need.

Fuel

Fuel wise it’s a joke. But if you cared about it you would never buy one. An example of this is driving to the gym (2 miles away) for two weeks is about as expensive as the gym membership costs for a month. Long journeys are fine- it will touch the 20mpg in this situation.

Appearance/Sound

I can’t really say it turns to many heads unlike the Z4 did despite the nods to performance when parked. The Z4 coupe got more attention from “normies” but the C63 gets many a thumbs up from petrol heads especially some good chats with fellow enthusiasts at fuel stations (which I frequent a lot…)

When you start her up it gets a few looks as she is a growly little beast. A little bit of throttle and you get looks of pleasure or disgust depending on where you are sat on the Greata scale…. “How dare you”. Secondary cat delete and straight pipes make people aware of your presence but aren’t that much louder over a standard car. In my opinion there is nothing outside of (older) supercars that sound better than this 6.2 n/a

Cold Start C63 resonator and 2nd cat delete. with straight pipe
https://youtu.be/5dmeG4kZB4g

Few cheeky revs out of the way of folk
https://youtu.be/TCpbeByHwKA

You will see more of the sounds shortly as I have sorted out the two niggles with the exhaust and the rear diffuser.
Attachments
car3.jpg
car3.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (239.96 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (277.03 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:32 pm

1st modifications were done after the 1st month. Previous owner had bought the apple play and reverse camera but never got round to fitting them (I wish he had).

Lots of swearing involved, but we got there in the end....
Attachments
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm

New exhaust went on 2 weeks ago.

One of the tips had a dent in it so the previous owner bought a whole new system and hadn't got round to getting it fitted.

Car sounds very different now- bit more AMG and a bit less ASBO. I thing I prefer it now but wish I could swap between.

The two systems are below and an explanation of how the standard system was before the modifications.

Basically the same systems other than an Xpipe vs a Straight pipe.

New exhaust sounds:

Cold Start
https://youtu.be/3BuCBuPHvBU

Warm rev's
https://youtu.be/WfmSxS-za9s

Old Exhaust Sounds:

Now the only thing that needs changing is the carbon fiber diffuser that has a scratch on and we are done for the time being.... It's on order.
Attachments
car4.jpg
car4.jpg (184.34 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
car3.png
car3.png (279.41 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (203.55 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm

I was in a friends remapped C43 yesterday for the first time and he decided to show me what it could do.
Wow, its a seriously quick car and I have no doubt that yours will be even quicker.
I think the only downsides he has had up till now are wheels cracking, had a few welds done and replaced a wheel.
And he says he has suffered brake fade a couple of times after turning his discs blue and is looking at upgrading pads/fluid.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Is the scratch on the diffuser that bad that it could not be repaired and relacquered instead of replaced?

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm I was in a friends remapped C43 yesterday for the first time and he decided to show me what it could do.
Wow, its a seriously quick car and I have no doubt that yours will be even quicker.
You will have to forgive me as I don't know to much about merc's so don't know where they all fit in together. I assuming it's the new C63's baby brother? I know you can map the c63s (turbo) upto about 750bhp which is just silly!
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm I think the only downsides he has had up till now are wheels cracking, had a few welds done and replaced a wheel.
And he says he has suffered brake fade a couple of times after turning his discs blue and is looking at upgrading pads/fluid.
That seems to be an issue with the 19's on mine tbh. There has been some winging of late on the forum because they have apparently discontinued them! My ideal spec car would have the standard 18's on them with a bit more rubber but I am a sucker for smaller wheels.

I have the Performance pack which includes the stupidly expensive floating rotors and it's a 6pot calipers upfront so stopping has not been to much of an issue- but I have never tracked it. But they are not very light cars so I can see how it happens!
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:34 pm Is the scratch on the diffuser that bad that it could not be repaired and relacquered instead of replaced?
It's cracked as well on one of the fin's. The one that I have on order is a medium sized fin if that makes sense? The one that on there at the moment is called a "big finn" which in my opinion is a little chavy.

I have attached the crack. I am not sure if it could be repaired? I know people sand a v into the cracks and re-lacquer the carbon fiber but I got 375 quid for the old exhaust so have spent it on a new one. Down about 150 quid from fitting the new exhaust and the diffuser so all in all not to bad.
Attachments
PXL_20210722_111440703.jpg
PXL_20210722_111440703.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 pm

wow ..an actual car thread..maybe we should troll it with covid bollocks :lol: lovely car though :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm

I have had 2 x C63's and they were both brilliant...

Back tyres got smashed in ludicrously quickly..

Both mine did about 17mpg on the commute and the facelift one could "just" do 27mpg on a tidy quiet run if needed.

Im currently looking for the W205 C63 coupe to replace my M4..... Hard to find at the minute though.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm

mgrlane wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 pm
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm I was in a friends remapped C43 yesterday for the first time and he decided to show me what it could do.
You will have to forgive me as I don't know to much about merc's so don't know where they all fit in together. I assuming it's the new C63's baby brother? I know you can map the c63s (turbo) upto about 750bhp which is just silly!
The C43 is the baby brother, I think its a 3 litre V6 and his is around 350bhp, its also 4wd and seems to grip and handle quite well

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:58 am

Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm I have had 2 x C63's and they were both brilliant...

Back tyres got smashed in ludicrously quickly..

Both mine did about 17mpg on the commute and the facelift one could "just" do 27mpg on a tidy quiet run if needed.

Im currently looking for the W205 C63 coupe to replace my M4..... Hard to find at the minute though.
As you know, it's harder to not light them up driving normally than it is. I haven't checked them in the 2000 miles that I have done but the AA report said the rears had 7mm when I bought the car. I probably need to do some measurements.

My neighbour had a chap come to buy a classic car off him last week and turned up in 205 coupe. I had a good look around it and I would certainly have it over the saloon in that model. I think they sound pretty decent too!

There is a facebook group called:

C63 AMG UK - Classified - Cars - Parts - For Sale

Might be worth having a look/post on there if you haven't already. It does seem a right mission finding a C63 that hasn't been abused- good luck with your search.

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:00 am

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm The C43 is the baby brother, I think its a 3 litre V6 and his is around 350bhp, its also 4wd and seems to grip and handle quite well
That's an interesting mix and makes sense. Probably a good alternative to an A class which seems to attract the wrong attention.

RedUn

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by RedUn » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 pm

mgrlane wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm New exhaust went on 2 weeks ago.

One of the tips had a dent in it so the previous owner bought a whole new system and hadn't got round to getting it fitted.

Car sounds very different now- bit more AMG and a bit less ASBO. I thing I prefer it now but wish I could swap between.

The two systems are below and an explanation of how the standard system was before the modifications.

Basically the same systems other than an Xpipe vs a Straight pipe.

New exhaust sounds:

Cold Start
https://youtu.be/3BuCBuPHvBU

Warm rev's
https://youtu.be/WfmSxS-za9s

Old Exhaust Sounds:

Now the only thing that needs changing is the carbon fiber diffuser that has a scratch on and we are done for the time being.... It's on order.
Lovely! They do sound great don't they! I'd be tempted to run it with just pipe from the engine back for the full spitfire effect :evil:
IMOLA Z4///MR

mgrlane

c63 AMG (6.2)

Post by mgrlane » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:18 pm

RedUn wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 pm Lovely! They do sound great don't they! I'd be tempted to run it with just pipe from the engine back for the full spitfire effect
Thanks!

With the straight pipe on a cold start it does a thunder crack on a cold start.

It's fun but it literally bounces off the fence, wall and car port and is just a little bit to much 1st thing.

I am missing the full asbo straight pipes if I am honest.

Some people do headers as well for another 30-40bhp and they sound like pretty mad. I think no second cat and Xpipe is in the sweet spot for sound and not annoying to many people 😂😂