Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

1 series Recall

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Lynchy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:03 pm

Afternoon all, so as the subject says we’ve just received a recall letter on my wife’s 2010 coupe. Apparently there is a risk of fire due to friction on the wiring on the heating / AC blower. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
I have heard that the recall is so that they can do something to stop remapping on these engines, surely not. Any more info would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Why would a recall on wiring for A/C blower have any relationship with stopping of remapping the engine, makes no sense in my tiny mind :?

We have a 118D coupe (2012) and I don't think we have seen anything yet regards a recall.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Lynchy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:17 pm Why would a recall on wiring for A/C blower have any relationship with stopping of remapping the engine, makes no sense in my tiny mind :?

We have a 118D coupe (2012) and I don't think we have seen anything yet regards a recall.
I’m not saying that it isn’t a genuine recall but are they using the recall to tamper with the ECU to stop remapping

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Lynchy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:17 pm Why would a recall on wiring for A/C blower have any relationship with stopping of remapping the engine, makes no sense in my tiny mind :?

I’m not saying that it isn’t a genuine recall but are they using the recall to tamper with the ECU to stop remapping
Strange, not certain I would be happy with them doing this - if my car had been remapped already and they then updated the software when the recall was related to a harness I would be looking for recompense especially if the car was out of warranty.
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Flyingfifer

1 series Recall

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Lynchy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:03 pm Afternoon all, so as the subject says we’ve just received a recall letter on my wife’s 2010 coupe. Apparently there is a risk of fire due to friction on the wiring on the heating / AC blower. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
I have heard that the recall is so that they can do something to stop remapping on these engines, surely not. Any more info would be appreciated :thumbsup:
I very much doubt this would be the case, its arguable that its tampering and they would have to make it crystal clear that there is a ECU update involved and what that meant for the car also any cars that have been mapped if that was wiped the owner would be able to go back to BMW to complain especially if the recall isnt ECU related
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 pm

I very much doubt this would be the case, its arguable that its tampering and they would have to make it crystal clear that there is a ECU update involved and what that meant for the car also any cars that have been mapped if that was wiped the owner would be able to go back to BMW to complain especially if the recall isnt ECU related
[/quote]

Pretty much what I said above - just seems very strange all round for a harness issue. :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:51 pm

Not in relation to the remap but I had a very similar recall in my E90 a few years ago.

They replaced a harness to do with the blower and A/C because of a fire risk.

Re the remap I think they’d have to declare, and explain why, they were affecting the ecu for a wiring replacement
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Would they bother doing this on a 10 year old car, what would be the benefit for them?
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm

They would do it, if the car went up in smoke and it is a know error they are liable

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Smartbear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm They would do it, if the car went up in smoke and it is a know error they are liable
    I’m guessing that Nictrix meant the ecu remap issue rather than the self igniting bonfire one :o
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 pm

Good point, but if it is in the recall work sheet then it would be done --- still cant see them tampering with software for the bonfire problem though :)

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:55 pm
    Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm They would do it, if the car went up in smoke and it is a know error they are liable
    I’m guessing that Nictrix meant the ecu remap issue rather than the self igniting bonfire one :o
    Rob
    Yes , exactly. My 2010 X6 had the front prop shaft replaced under a recall a few weeks ago
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

1 series Recall

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 pm

I'd be very surprised if the recall had anything to do with blocking remapping.

My E91 had a recall for the same heater/AC blower issue in 2018 and it was still outstanding on my E90 when I bought that as a replacement in 2019 so I got that one done too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1 Series used the same parts as the 3 Series.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Pbondar

1 series Recall

Post by Pbondar » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 pm

To stop the ECU from being cracked they would have to design a whole new one, test it, program it and replace yours...the existing design has been hacked so many times it’s unlockable going forward..spurious or inaccurate claim by someone..IMHO

BMWZ4MC
    Lifer
    Lifer

1 series Recall

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:56 pm

The wiring harness recall is for a well known problem and has been running for a while in Australia too.
    Who suggested that BMW would fiddle with the ECU when fixing the wiring harness? And did they have any useful advice about how to destroy the tracking bots hidden in the COVID vaccine? :P :D
    Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
    Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
    Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
    Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
    S2000 GT - gone