Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Panel Replaced and Repainted- Should I be bothered?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:36 am

mgrlane wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:45 pm You didn’t buy it for economy!
That is very true! I don't think it really matters with a pleasure car.

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:45 pm my buddy has bought one of these 4 months ago, he's getting 17mpg says its the best money he's ever spent on a car and he's had some vety nice kit
That's good to know. I don't have very much to compare it with.

I have never owned a turbo most of my car's have been 4pot hot hatched and my Z was my 1st 6.

Very limited knowledge I have but my conclusion is the car has a spit personality. It drives in comfort with the traction on wafting around in 7th gear at 1,500 without a care in the world- proper lux cruiser.. The roads were covered in standing water today and was a steady as an ox. I pretty much didn't use more than half throttle all journey.

Flick it over to sports plus and it turns into a savage. Not that I have had it in that setting very long as by the time I got confident with it and tried it it was raining so I went back into comfort.

The car isn't like all the videos on YouTube of AMG's. Those videos tell half the story. You watch them and think that the car is mental and wants to kill you (this is what attracted me to it). You can make it be that car but it doesn't have to be.

With the 2nd cats removed that's it sounds like Thor is seeking vengeance under full throttle (the guy took me out in it before I bought it) but in the cabin on part throttle it's there but not over loud. Ah man the noise :D
If you’re getting 17 avg that’s not too much difference to a fast Z. You don’t buy something like this to worry about fuel so drive it like you stole it and fill it up when it needs it and enjoy :driving:

The noise it what really draws me to one of these, it’s amazing, and yes I am jealous, if I wanted a fast saloon one of these would be well up the list :thumbsup:
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:55 am

It’s a £140 / 1000 miles between that and 30mpg car
    Not a lot if it’s as low mileage toy and the joy it brings :thumbsup:
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:33 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:36 am If you’re getting 17 avg that’s not too much difference to a fast Z. You don’t buy something like this to worry about fuel so drive it like you stole it and fill it up when it needs it and enjoy
    I think circa 17 is what people are quoting on a run. I haven't really got into the C's system to check it all out.

I will say that my SI Z got 51.8 mpg (I reset it after filling up warm on a trip down the A1 to Norfolk). It was as I was turning off onto the A17 so it could have risen more. I had just bought the car and it was raining hard so I was being ever so careful. Went down as soon as I got on the A17.

Contract that with a 2ltr Clio which would average low 40's driven carefully on the same run.

Not sure how the S64 preforms when you are not smashing it? I doubt many M owners do either but I would guess low 20's?

So really for an engine that's just under twice the size with the extra weight the C is not doing two bad.

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 pm

My mates average of 17 is doing his commute and odd trips out, using the car only to a bit of its potential .. if he goes out to play its easily down to single figure but as mentioned you don't buy a car like this to worry about running costs its all about the experience :thumbsup:
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Single figures might be step too far for me :rofl:
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm

A friend has a C43 and loves it. He had an Audi S5 before it that came to a soggy end.
    He has it mapped to around 450bhp and the noise is something else.
    He was toying with the idea of a C63 but as its a daily travelling all over the country it would be too expensive to run. He also prefers the C43 having 4 wheel drive.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm A friend has a C43 and loves it. He had an Audi S5 before it that came to a soggy end.
    He was toying with the idea of a C63 but as its a daily travelling all over the country it would be too expensive to run. He also prefers the C43 having 4 wheel drive.
    Might be a bit more you know if it was the 6.2 engine.

They are 451 as standard and the engine is the same lump as the sls but detuned. They did a P31 or PPP (which is forged with sls internals) that's mapped to 489 (mine) and a 507 (507ps) and the black which is 510bhp.

They held the engine back so it doesn't step on any of the big brothers toes. Mine has the secondary cats removed and had been remapped to 520 (it hasn't been dyno'd so I don't have proof).

I think they can get them to 570 with headers and decat but as soon as you just map a standard one it will free up 50+ just buy letting more air in.

450 from a 6.2 isn't that much in the scheme of things when you think that BMW managed 420 just about that from a 4ltr at the time.

If Merc were popping them out of the factory with 520 odd bhp (100 more than the m3) and a non optioned LSD then they really would have taken the battle to BMW for the super saloon.

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:41 pm

mgrlane wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:22 pm
    Nictrix wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm A friend has a C43 and loves it. He had an Audi S5 before it that came to a soggy end.

They are 451 as standard and the engine is the same lump as the sls but detuned. They did a P31 or PPP (which is forged with sls internals) that's mapped to 489 (mine) and a 507 (507ps) and the black which is 510bhp.

They held the engine back so it doesn't step on any of the big brothers toes. Mine has the secondary cats removed and had been remapped to 520 (it hasn't been dyno'd so I don't have proof).

I think they can get them to 570 with headers and decat but as soon as you just map a standard one it will free up 50+ just buy letting more air in.

450 from a 6.2 isn't that much in the scheme of things when you think that BMW managed 420 just about that from a 4ltr at the time.

If Merc were popping them out of the factory with 520 odd bhp (100 more than the m3) and a non optioned LSD then they really would have taken the battle to BMW for the super saloon.
    The C43 is a 3L V6. Standard is about 380bhp
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:23 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:41 pm
    mgrlane wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:22 pm

The C43 is a 3L V6. Standard is about 380bhp
    Sorry, I really need to learn how to read....

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 pm

As I am in the market for a 4 seater German "nutter bast*rd" car I have been reading this thread with interest. The C63 had not really been on my radar as was looking at the latest generation, which were too expensive (or too much depreciation which I will be funding).
    From everything I've read about the "M" cars (3 or 4) and C class AMGs, it is only the "spitfire sound" of the AMG that is superior to the BMs.
    I am interested why you wanted a 9 year old C63 over the M3 and why I should buy one, when the equivalent age and mileage M3 is 5k cheaper?
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:36 pm

Because Mercedes :)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:40 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:36 pm Because Mercedes
    Because Mercedes what?
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:40 pm
    mr.tourette wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:36 pm Because Mercedes
    Because Mercedes what?
    Just because Mercedes
    I've no real world experience of M cars but what I do know is every Merc I've ever sat in just feels more premium than any equivalent bmw model.. I know that M car fan's will probably say that's bollocks but it is just my opinion that Merc make better cars than BMW.. I'd take the c63 over an m3 every day of the week and twice on a Sunday

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:45 pm Just because Mercedes
    I've no real world experience of M cars but what I do know is every Merc I've ever sat in just feels more premium than any equivalent bmw model.. I know that M car fan's will probably say that's bollocks but it is just my opinion that Merc make better cars than BMW.. I'd take the c63 over an m3 every day of the week and twice on a Sunday
    If it was 1993 I'd agree. Not anymore, my friend. Mercs are not built to the high standard they used to be.

As a driver's car, a Mercedes salesman summed it up for me a few years ago. He said a BMW will say to you "come on come on hurry up where we going come on", whereas a Mercedes will say "just one moment sir, I will be with you presently".

He had a point. Mercedes have never challenged BM's marketing as "the ultimate driving machine" have they?

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 pm As I am in the market for a 4 seater German "nutter bast*rd" car I have been reading this thread with interest. The C63 had not really been on my radar as was looking at the latest generation, which were too expensive (or too much depreciation which I will be funding).
    From everything I've read about the "M" cars (3 or 4) and C class AMGs, it is only the "spitfire sound" of the AMG that is superior to the BMs.
    I am interested why you wanted a 9 year old C63 over the M3 and why I should buy one, when the equivalent age and mileage M3 is 5k cheaper?
    Well,

I had all intentions of keeping the Z for the next 4-5 years. I was going to put a diff in her and that was going to be my car. I literally woke up a month ago and wanted a V8.

Audi? Na.

Mercedes? Na, I had driven a Tesla once and that was the closest I had ever got to an auto. I didn't think they were for me (I don't know if this was the box or the electric or both). So they were out of the question.

I joined the Facebook group for the 9x's and was asking alot of questions. It seemed like there was alot more choice of auto's for M3's than there was for manuals. I asked them why and what their thoughts were on the two. It was probably 75-25 in favour of auto's.

So I thought the people can't be wrong. Most of them seemed to think that an autobox suited a V8 and yes running through gears was fun but not to much was lost in the transition.

So I had to think "why didn't I like auto's" was it because I read in all the car mags and videos that manuals are for purest's? Or in my head do I think that they are all like the e46 range. Either way I thought I was just telling myself this because it's what everyone else says so I should go into it with an open mind.

So I was set on consideration of a manual or auto E90 M3 (if I am going to have more than two seats I might as well have 5 and not the 4 the coupe has).

I did a bit of research and I don't think the m3 is a very reliable car. It seems like they have got the engine very highly strung and you really have to rag the sh*t out of it to get the performance. Otherwise you are getting done by fast diesels.

So I had worked out my spec for a BMW and was going to just wait for the right one to pop up. I wanted white or silver, red interior and the adjustable suspension. FSH and under 50k miles.

At that point I wanted to just make sure that I had made the right decision so I took another look at the rivals. VXR- looks fun but the interior is dog sh*t. Audi, na AWD just not for me. Lexus ISF- not for me. Mercedes, well actually they were only ruled out due to auto and I am now considering auto's so here is an option.

So it was a choice between the two. I reassured both cars alot and just felt that the Merc fitted my character more than an M. I chose the Merc because of 3 things:

Reliability, Sound and torque.

There is no doubt what what's been written the BMW is a better track car (I am never taking the car on track so not a consideration for me) the BMW has a better gear box (hands down).

But I think the Merc is more exciting. It's a German Muscle car that can go round corners that is 520 odd horse power with a map. The sound is amazing. It's like Thor throwing thunderbolts. The M3 sounds more exotic at high revs but the soundtrack especially with the rear cats removed (it's only loud when you mash the pedal. Normal driving it's hard to tell).

I then put together my wish list for a Merc. I wanted a PPP (performance Pack- uprated engine, brakes and suspension) FMBSH under 50k, LSD and mapped (the map was not a deal breaker- I could do it at a later date).

Found a guy who was looking to sell in the future and we agreed to meet after lockdown but I said to him if he ups his process can be give me 1st shout before he advertised and he said he would. He called me last week we had an hour chat about the car, it's history and the fact he wanted to sell so I went down ansnd bought it.

I think I would be happy with a M3 but this C63 is a monster. Anything more than 1/4 throttle in 1st will have the traction control on from a standing start in sport. It will shred tyres for fun and sounds like nothing else- I giggle like a school girl when I down shift.

Keep it in comfort and it will hunt for 7th gear as soon as it can and float around on torque. It literally can do anything.