Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Panel Replaced and Repainted- Should I be bothered?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new purchase and had an RAC Check done on the car.

From what he says it looks like the car has been in a front-end bump most probably after March 2018 (he says this this as the front passenger headlight is not an original and was replaced and the date is 2018).

The passenger side front wing is not original and has been replaced and been fully re-sprayed. The panels down each side minus the back doors and the roof (to blend it in). He says that this has been done very well. There is no structural damage on the car.

I guess the question that I need to work out is does it matter? And will it effect the resale value of the car if I sell it in a couple of years? It’s clear that the car has been well looked after otherwise. FSH and loads of money spent on it.

What's everyone's thoughts?

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:55 pm

Depends how easy it is to find an alternative with the spec you want and the price you want to pay? Also, only you know how much it would bother you knowing it has had some sort of accident. Personally I'd be looking for it everytime I washed it, so I know it would drive me mad...
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 pm

z4pilot wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:55 pm Depends how easy it is to find an alternative with the spec you want and the price you want to pay? Also, only you know how much it would bother you knowing it has had some sort of accident. Personally I'd be looking for it everytime I washed it, so I know it would drive me mad...
There is not another one in the spec that I want on the market (apart from one with some crap history) and there hasn't been another one on the market for a couple of months.

Will it effect the resale value? I genuinely believe the seller had no idea of it and it fit's in with his ownership.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm

I suspect you will be hard pushed to find a car out there of similar age that hasn't had some paintwork. Ok, a replacement panel and a light is more than paintwork but still.. If it's been done to a good standard and wasn't structural.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:31 pm

-Tom- wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm I suspect you will be hard pushed to find a car out there of similar age that hasn't had some paintwork. Ok, a replacement panel and a light is more than paintwork but still.. If it's been done to a good standard and wasn't structural.
Thanks Tom.

Just had a chat with the guy and he was surprised as I was. He bought it from a garage too and they didn't mention it. The car has had a full MBSH and they haven't seen anything wrong with it either.

My head says buy it. It's not a problem but the RAC man scared me a bit with his chat.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 pm

After I'd had my 2nd E86 a couple of years I noticed that one headlight was much clearer than the other, and a closer examination showed that while paint on the front wing on that side matched well it had some micro-blistering.

But it was 9 years old when I bought it, so finding a previous repair wasn't that surprising and didn't really bother me. It certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of the car!

I suppose it's only likely to affect resale if potential buyers spot it!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 pm After I'd had my 2nd E86 a couple of years I noticed that one headlight was much clearer than the other, and a closer examination showed that while paint on the front wing on that side matched well it had some micro-blistering.

But it was 9 years old when I bought it, so finding a previous repair wasn't that surprising and didn't really bother me. It certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of the car!

I suppose it's only likely to affect resale if potential buyers spot it!
Thats true but I have got to tell them now that I know as it wouldn't sit right with me.

How much would you out of interest barter someone down? I don't want to low ball him or knock anything off personally.
Attachments
RAC2.JPG
RAC2.JPG (26.57 KiB) Viewed 966 times
RAC1.JPG
RAC1.JPG (51.62 KiB) Viewed 966 times

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Might be worth checking with your insurance. Some companies can be a bit touchy about these things. As far as resale goes. It could have an impact on the resale value. But it depends on what you pay. You might be able to negotiate some discount because of the accident damage. So in the end you wouldn’t be any worse off.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 pm

This resulted in a new bumper, headlights,fog light, grills and lower grills and the wing getting painted. It happened at 5 mph. The RAC would hopefully pick all of that up but it was minimal damage, I was sitting still when it happened. They could tell me, rightfully so, that the cars had a good bit of the front replaced so must’ve taken a corner impact, technically correct.

The lights and grills all needed replaced because the impact had broken the plastic retaining clips. No actual direct impact to these areas

If the rest of it checks out and you’re happy with it I’d say go with it :thumbsup:
Attachments
D802EBE3-37B6-401D-8795-DA987B4A2D1A.jpeg
D802EBE3-37B6-401D-8795-DA987B4A2D1A.jpeg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 964 times
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 pm This resulted in a new bumper, headlights,fog light, grills and lower grills and the wing getting painted. It happened at 5 mph. The RAC would hopefully pick all of that up but it was minimal damage, I was sitting still when it happened. They could tell me, rightfully so, that the cars had a good bit of the front replaced so must’ve taken a corner impact, technically correct.

The lights and grills all needed replaced because the impact had broken the plastic retaining clips. No actual direct impact to these areas

If the rest of it checks out and you’re happy with it I’d say go with it :thumbsup:
    Well that's the thing. I just had a conversation with the owner and said I don't think I care if some grandma has backed into it. But if it's been powerslided at 40mph and clipped a wall I would be rather put off.

Seller says his best mate works for Merc and they never spotted it. It's got a full service history (1 every year at Merc) had £1000's spent on it. The guy spent £150 quid on AMG door pins for the car for Christ sake. It checks out in every other area.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:49 pm

mgrlane wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm Thats true but I have got to tell them now that I know as it wouldn't sit right with me.

How much would you out of interest barter someone down? I don't want to low ball him or knock anything off personally.
    Well that suggests the RAC only spotted it by checking the paint depth and does say there was no evidence of any major structural repairs.

I'd go and look at the car myself as they suggest and see if you can spot it. If you can't then it's unlikely anyone will when you come to sell it, so I wouldn't be too mean!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:49 pm
    mgrlane wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm Thats true but I have got to tell them now that I know as it wouldn't sit right with me.

Well that suggests the RAC only spotted it by checking the paint depth and does say there was no evidence of any major structural repairs.

I'd go and look at the car myself as they suggest and see if you can spot it. If you can't then it's unlikely anyone will when you come to sell it, so I wouldn't be too mean!
    I am worrying over nothing aren't I?

My Dad sitting on the fence on this because of the money involved.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:04 pm

mgrlane wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:49 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:43 pm This resulted in a new bumper, headlights,fog light, grills and lower grills and the wing getting painted. It happened at 5 mph. The RAC would hopefully pick all of that up but it was minimal damage, I was sitting still when it happened. They could tell me, rightfully so, that the cars had a good bit of the front replaced so must’ve taken a corner impact, technically correct.

Well that's the thing. I just had a conversation with the owner and said I don't think I care if some grandma has backed into it. But if it's been powerslided at 40mph and clipped a wall I would be rather put off.

Seller says his best mate works for Merc and they never spotted it. It's got a full service history (1 every year at Merc) had £1000's spent on it. The guy spent £150 quid on AMG door pins for the car for Christ sake. It checks out in every other area.
    Funnily enough, it was an older guy that backed into mine. I’m with Mr Tidy, they’ve used a paint depth gauge and spotted it that way. I’d be interested if the RAC guy noticed the new headlight visually or on investigation after finding out the wing had been pained.

It certainly seems like the car’s been looked after but I think to settle you, you’ll need to see it in the flesh and see what you think.

The one thing I think would make me more comfortable is even though he’s been quick to point it out he’s also said it was a very good standard of repair.

Depending on age you’d expect most cars to have a bit of paint. There was an almost new G29 on here that’s had a side repaired at BMW for a badly creased door for a low speed impact so it’s not just older cars that’ll have paint.

I know. You’ve said you’re not looking for money off but I’d be looking for a small reduction if you feel that’ll impact on your resale :thumbsup:
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:12 pm

I would not let this worry me, if the repair is high quality then just ask for some compensation such as a service plan or similar thrown in.

I used to work for a stealer (Audi) and you would be surprised at the number of new cars that are touched up during a PDI.

They are dinged in transit or while getting shunted around the yard.
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

M340

Post by M340 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Almost every single car on this forum has had paint of some sort. They’re a minimum of 13 years old now....everything from small repairs to full resprays. Difference here is you know about it.

Had a Z4M years ago. That was clipped back in 08 and had a new wing and door skin. Cost £2k to fix. Just saw it sold recently with 65k on it as an absolute minter - because it was done properly and nobody is the wiser 😀.

The number of cars that have paint before they’re even delivered would surprise some....I remember years ago someone posting photos of BMWs UK reception centre. Cars being fixed for damage in transit including a Mini that fell off a transporter getting a new roof!

Go on condition IMO... if it’s been done properly, is not structural (a bolt on and off part replaced and blended) and looks good with a decent colour match, go for it. Stuff like that happens in the factory...