Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

water in diesel fuel filter - Suzuki Grand Vitara

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:44 pm

Non Z advice required...

My other half has a 2011 1.9 DDIS Suzuki Grand Vitara, and I've been struggling with a warning light on the dash - which says water in fuel filter. I've followed the instructions, and let (some) fluid out... but the light mostly stays on (it went out for about 20 mins after I filled it with new diesel so I thought it might be that - but it came back on after a little while).

It could be a fault in the sensor, or I'm just not sure if I should let it completely drain or not.. I worry I'll have to prime it again (although there is an obvious pump on the top of it which might just do that). I've googled it a fair bit but nothing really comes up for the Grand Vitara, and its almost impossible to get a jar underneath to see if it is really water thats coming out. It certainly smells like diesel.

Any advice would be useful, thanks!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:24 pm

Tricky one.. I remember on my old honda accord you had to drain water from the fuel filter as part of the servicing, i just used to run a cupful of fluid out of it and leave it at that, never had any warning lights though
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Have you rung your local Suzi garage? They might know what can cause this, or it may be al known issue.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Certain fuel cleaners claim to disperse water in the fuel, archoil for example. Worth a try.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Did a quick search and found this:
What the fuel filter warning light means
Inside the fuel filter is a fluid level sensor that keeps track of the amount of water that has been collected. Once the level starts reaching maximum capacity, the fuel filter warning light will illuminate to let you know to empty the filter.

On manual systems, a valve at the bottom of the filter will let the water drain out once opened. If your filter empties automatically and the light comes on, it indicates that an error or malfunction has been detected and it needs to be checked out as soon as possible. This warning light could mean that the drain is blocked and the system can’t empty itself. A code will be saved on the computer to help you identify the cause of the problem. Have the car checked out with diagnostic scan tool to find the saved code or codes.

Don’t ignore this warning light or the system will fill with water and start leaking it to the engine. Once the water has been drained from the filter, this warning light should go out on its own.

It's generic and not Suzi specific hth
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Cheers, the Suzuki dealer I suspect wont tell me, and will want me to bring it in. I may end up doing that or seeing if my local garage can help.

I've done the draining exercise quite a few times - its knowing how much to let out is the issue and I'd prefer not to have to prime the fuel again.

its doesn't store a fault on the computer that I can see... or my reader isn't that sophisticated..!

The biggest indication to me was the fact the light went out a few mins after refilling the tank with new diesel. (its was almost empty..) and we have been told that using cheap diesel, or at the bottom of the petrol stations tank, could cause faults like this.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:31 pm

My Nissan Terrano hates non genuine fuel filters. Have you put a new filter in it ?
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm Cheers, the Suzuki dealer I suspect wont tell me, and will want me to bring it in. I may end up doing that or seeing if my local garage can help.
It's worth trying. If they do say "bring it in we'll have a look", keep ringing round other dealers, you may find a good one. I've done it before and ask to speak to their chief mechanic; most are happy to help IME.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 am

firebobby wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:31 pm My Nissan Terrano hates non genuine fuel filters. Have you put a new filter in it ?
no not yet. I was wondering if that might help...

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:56 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 am
firebobby wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:31 pm My Nissan Terrano hates non genuine fuel filters. Have you put a new filter in it ?
no not yet. I was wondering if that might help...
A fuel filter is a serviceable item and needs to be changed. I would change it and make sure you bleed it properly. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981