Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dacia service warning light

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
gov

Post by gov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Our daily driver is a 2018 Dacia Sandero Stepway - bought new for £9k and still worth £7k even as part exchange :) great car does everything you want - good drive ,reliable and good mpg - one thing really annoys me though is each year when it's gets to its anniversary the bloody service reminder light comes on irrespective of how liitle mileage you've done - must be programmed to come on every 12 months -thing is there is no way you can reset it other than the Dacia main dealer so you're locked in to getting it serviced through them - the 1st generation model you could reset but mine is the 2nd generation and apparently Dacia has the only software that can reset it - as it's now just coming out of warranty I would prefer to get it serviced at my trusted ( and much cheaper ) local garage but I can't unless I pay Dacia £100 to reset the warning light ! is there any way you can physically disconnect warning lights or is that just wishful thinking :cry:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Have you asked your local garage if they can reset it? Some of them have very good software devices these days, I’d go & have a chat with them :o
My bmw motorbike was similar, service engine light was impossible for the home mechanic to reset without spending thousands on professional level diagnostics or let bmw service the machine, my local indi programmed it to stay off for 40 years for £20 and a packet of jam doughnuts :P
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:56 pm

its possible, it might be very very easy lol

gov

Post by gov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:14 pm

brillomaster wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:56 pm its possible, it might be very very easy lol

yes I've heard about this method - unfortunately it only works for 17 reg cars and before - obviously the little Dacia rascals have devised some software that prevents this :x

gov

Post by gov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:50 pm Have you asked your local garage if they can reset it? Some of them have very good software devices these days, I’d go & have a chat with them :o
My bmw motorbike was similar, service engine light was impossible for the home mechanic to reset without spending thousands on professional level diagnostics or let bmw service the machine, my local indi programmed it to stay off for 40 years for £20 and a packet of jam doughnuts :P
Rob

Hi Rob - yes I will ask - as you say it's worth a try - quite like the idea of 40 years - if I'm still alive I'll only be 112 :rofl: