Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Decisions... decisions!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Zed Baron

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 am

Andy I keep it in the boot of the Z, if its in the house she will only spend it on another horse... damn you all know now, need to find a new hiding place! :o

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 am

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 am Andy I keep it in the boot of the Z, if its in the house she will only spend it on another horse... damn you all know now, need to find a new hiding place! :o
I’ll look after it for you, I’d rather burn it than see it go on another horse :wink: :rofl:
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 am
    Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 am Andy I keep it in the boot of the Z, if its in the house she will only spend it on another horse... damn you all know now, need to find a new hiding place! :o
    I’ll look after it for you, I’d rather burn it than see it go on another horse :wink: :rofl:
    Thats very kind of you Andy, but don't be too surprised when you hear me clip clopping up to the next meet! :x

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 am
    Thats very kind of you Andy, but don't be too surprised when you hear me clip clopping up to the next meet! :x
    The sweeper on that run will have a completely different remit Rich :rofl:
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

sars
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by sars » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 pm This is exactly the type of spec Cobra I'd want, including the colour (probably an LS3 or stroker engine though):
      https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... New&page=1
      That’s gorgeous, only I would have to remove the 427 badge, it’s an M thing :D

Ideally you want a bit of drama, something fun and that’s rewarding to drive, either a classic like a TR6 or a Healey or if you want something more modern a Z4M or Lotus 7, MX5.

Though really I kinda with you, the Cobra is just timeless and my ultimate dream car :thumbsup:
      Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
      Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Zed Baron

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am
      Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 am I’ll look after it for you, I’d rather burn it than see it go on another horse :wink: :rofl:
      The sweeper on that run will have a completely different remit Rich :rofl:
      Andy, be better than the bullsh*t I normally come out with :rofl:

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:13 am Jaguar XKR 5.0, starting to appear in the price range where I could justify it as a weekend car
      I would never buy a Jag. Too many stories of unreliability. My sister had an XKR (older shape), it spent more time on the back of an AA recovery truck than on the road. Also a bit of a "golf club" image. :roll:
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
      Mazda3 sold
      Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm

The V8 Mustang has got my interest again since the comments on here. They seem to hold their money well and generally do little mileage (probably cos burn fuel quicker than Saddam did). If they continue with good residuals, another box ticked.
      Government may boll*x that by taxing them off the road in a few years, though.
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 pm

how about an alfa 4c or alpine :D
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Conrod

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Conrod » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm

I owned this beauty for 14 years before selling it last summer:
      A7104276.jpg
      A7104276.jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
      I covered over 32k miles in it, mainly on my annual European tours, and it was easily the best car I've ever owned - the 400 BHP 383ci (6.3l) Chevy V8 came into its own on Alpine roads. It never failed to turn heads wherever I pulled up, and with those straight through sidepipes it truly was the sound of thunder!

Sadly, the roads round my way had deteriorated so much over recent years that driving such a high powered, lightweight and low slung monster on them was becoming less and less pleasurable (no modern traction control, anti-lock brakes etc.) - so it got to the stage where the only use it was getting was on my annual 2500-3000 mile trips to the European Cobra meetings. At around 20mpg max (single figures on mountain roads!), the fuel costs were getting more expensive each year. In addition, though it was exhilarating to drive, the concentration required was tiring, limiting the daily driving time to around 5 or 6 hours - which that meant more overnight stops en route, and therefore higher hotel costs.

On top of that, with all the modifications I'd made over the years (a kit car is never finished!) the car was exactly as I wanted it, so tinkering was reduced to normal maintenance. I therefore made the tough decision to sell it, and bought the Z4 instead. After placing the order for the Cobra build I visited various main dealer showrooms to get inspiration for the colour scheme, and a sterling grey 3.0i Z4 had pride of place in the local BMW showroom. It was love at first sight - and I very nearly cancelled the Cobra order to buy the Z4.

But I stuck with the Cobra - and I'm glad I did, as nothing compares with driving a totally unique car. But, although it's in a different league, the Z4 is an excellent substitute, and I haven't missed the Cobra anywhere near as much as I thought I would. It had just 4200 miles on the clock and was literally in "as new" condition. So I've effectively had the best of both worlds - 14 great years of Cobra ownership, and now some new adventures with the car I very nearly bought instead - Covid permitting of course!

So, Cobra replicas are great cars - and although you are indeed looking at £35k+ for a good example with a large yank V8, they hold their value really well.
      Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Zed Baron

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:03 pm

I would never buy a Jag. Too many stories of unreliability. My sister had an XKR (older shape), it spent more time on the back of an AA recovery truck than on the road. Also a bit of a "golf club" image. :roll:

Sorry to hear about your sister's one, I've had five and they have all been great, got my first in my 30's. I had a lot of fun with mine and you get to know which independents/suppliers to use, that can make it very economical to own (bit like the Z4). And crazy golf is about my limit :rofl:
      Attachments
      jag.jpg
      jag.jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

Boyo

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Boyo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Chim 450. Best derivative of the V8's and reasonably scarce. If you are considering a TVR then I highly recommend James Agger.
      Current:
      ?

Previous:
      G29 M40i - Thundernight
      718 Cayman GTS 4.0
      987 Boxster 2.7
      E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
      E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
      718 Cayman GTS 2.5
      E89 35is
      E85 M Roadster

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Conrod wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm I owned this beauty for 14 years before selling it last summer:
      Nice Cob. Looks like a Dax?
      I used to work in Didcot (opposite the old Williams factory by the power station). My sister lives near Wallingford! Small world.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold

Conrod

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Conrod » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Spot on! - Dax 427 De Dion, based on Jag XJ40 running gear. Pretty well bullet proof! :)

You wouldn't recognise Didcot now - it must have more than doubled in size in the last few years
      Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:18 pm

OK, Update. I have been pondering this (nice to have) problem for a while now and have pretty much decided to go in a different direction.

Porsche Boxster 987 S Gen2 with PDK semi-auto and all the best toys; PSE switchable exhaust, Sports Chrono (driving modes linked to the gearbox) and PASM (active suspension). I had never really been a fan of the Boxster, as I had the pre-conceived and naive view they were for people who couldn't afford a "proper" Porker, or rich housewives!

Having looked at a lot of reviews and spoken to someone who owns one, they are apparently as good a driver's car, if not better, than a 911.

Now on the hunt for the right car with the right spec at the right price! Or, I will be as soon as I can get the Z4 100% sorted for the summer.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold