Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Decisions... decisions!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:54 pm

Hello,
Just bought an E89 for summer toy for me and wife.

I also want another car for fun only, not a daily driver.

I am really torn between three very different ideas I'd be interested in others' opinions:

Idea one:

Buy a 5-6 year old BM 435i or Audi S5 cab. £20k ish for a low mileage of either. Stick it in the garage and drive it when the sun shines!

Idea two:

Buy a 1987 TVR 350i wedge at auction (I have seen one and am registered to bid) and restore it back to it's former glory. Lots of work, quite a bit of money and end up with a Blackpool kit car with an SD1 engine!

Idea three:

Build a replica AC Cobra from the chassis up. Proper job with big yank V8 and all the trimmings.
This is something I've been toying with for many years now but the cost, the amount of work, the SVA headaches and the sheer aggro has always put me off. This has been my ultimate petrolhead dream for a long time but the costs could spiral beyond my means.

Or keep the money, drive my Volvo and use the Z4 when the sun shines if and when SWIMBO allows?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Why not buy a replicator's AC or are they more expensive?

for me buy an Elise as a pure fun drivers car :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Most people would probably have another car and have the Z for the weekend :)
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 pm Why not buy a replicator's AC or are they more expensive?

for me buy an Elise as a pure fun drivers car
To buy a built Cobra of the spec I want is £40-50K. IMHO too much for a second hand kit car! The building is the challenge and the money is spread over a long period.

I agree about the Elise but have owned a Lotus so sort of ticked that box. Also can't get my head around the Rover K series engines! :oops:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:14 pm Most people would probably have another car and have the Z for the weekend
I already have another tin-top DD Volvo V90 oil burner. It is the most boring car in the world but does it's job. The Z4 is mainly for the wife.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 pm

To buy a built Cobra of the spec I want is £40-50K. IMHO too much for a second hand kit car! The building is the challenge and the money is spread over a long period.

I agree about the Elise but have owned a Lotus so sort of ticked that box. Also can't get my head around the Rover K series engines! :oops:
[/quote]

Try a Toyota powered version - better car all round or an old Elan could be a interesting option

How about a Caterham or similar to build - should be easier and more cost effective than a Cobra although I love the idea of a Cobra
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 pm How about a Caterham or similar to build - should be easier and more cost effective
Looked into that for those very reasons. Nearly bought a 7 type a few years ago. Hideously uncomfortable stripped down go-karts and still not very cheap to build.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 pm

I was seriously looking at a Porker 997 cab recently. Just can't justify £30k plus for a 15 year old car (and they do have have some very serious and expensive issues). :o

Also looked into a GTR 34. Too complicated and the image is not me (I'm 53)!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm

How about an old alfa spider or fiat 124 - something different

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm How about an old alfa spider or fiat 124 - something different
Funny, I have looked a Alfas. Not really powerful enough and their prices are rising out of reasonability. 124s are getting into classic car territory where everybody seems to think these days their "classic" is worth a million quid. :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Also I would have to factor in the AA gold memebership with anything Italian :P

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 pm

I was in negotiations with the stealer about buying this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 500&page=1

The engine was what I wanted but his price was too high!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Well you have the dreary Volvo for the daily grind, the e89 for long distance cruising and finally a classic for the occasional drive to the coast when it suits.

Maybe a muscle car - Mustang or Bette.

Like the e-class but not really something I would buy as a "special" third car - would want something more unique :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Decisions... decisions!

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Personally I wouldn't buy a 435i or S5 just for weekends. I know they'll be quick, but they're probably too capable to be that much fun. If I bought one of those I'd sell the Volvo and use the 453/S5 every day!

I like the idea of a TVR, but personally would go for something other than a wedge.

The Cobra kit sounds like a great project, but it could be a long time before you ever drive it so that idea would be more about the build really.

Why not just buy yourself a Z4M or a 35i/35is?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Decisions... decisions!

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm

If I was to have a 2nd toy car I'd also go for some American muscle, probably a c3 corvette, camaro or something of that ilk
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D