Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reasonably shrewd move....or not...??

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Ok so, as we know Porsche has now put the 4.0 flat 6 nat aspirated engine from the Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder, albeit with a 200 lower rev limit, in the 718 GTS. An utter peach of an engine with the only downside a filter dulling the sound just a little that is easily cured with an aftermarket exhaust, so in reality if the standard noise isn’t enough it can be dealt with. All the reviews say the GTS is an easier car to live with car than the GT4 or Spyder with a slightly less hardcore front end, doing away with rose joints, and softer springs on the rear resulting in a car that apparently is pretty much perfect, if that’s the kind of car you want. Now, Porsche is saying the new and revamped 2022 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric, something I haven’t confirmed 100% yet in research but if that’s the case, and bringing the point of this thread, do you think buying a well specced Boxster GTS 4.0 now could be a good move in so much as minimising loss..? My thinking is volume sales of the 4.0 in the next two years will be fairly low due to low disposable income until the all electric car comes out meaning the 4.0 GTS will hold its money a lot better than anytime before, including the 981 GTS. I know it’ll lose money but to what extent...? I don’t think too much actually.

Any thoughts much appreciated as always. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I think if it's the last of the naturally aspirated 6 pot Boxster it will at some point start appreciating in value but it is hard to say when and how much money you'd loose in depreciation in the mean time. I supposed the shrewd move would be to wait a while and buy it second hand when it has depreciated and has bottomed out. Overall I think you should buy it if you want to enjoy the car for what it is and if it does become collectable and appreciate in value that would just be a bonus. I knew I should have bought a 993 a few years ago when they could be had for around 20 to 25K just look at those now, last of the air cooled 911s.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:11 pm I think if it's the last of the naturally aspirated 6 pot Boxster it will at some point start appreciating in value but it is hard to say when and how much money you'd loose in depreciation in the mean time. I supposed the shrewd move would be to wait a while and buy it second hand when it has depreciated and has bottomed out. Overall I think you should buy it if you want to enjoy the car for what it is and if it does become collectable and appreciate in value that would just be a bonus. I knew I should have bought a 993 a few years ago when they could be had for around 20 to 25K just look at those now, last of the air cooled 911s.
That’s a very level answer Silverstar....many thanks. The only issue is the length of wait for 2nd hand, as you mentioned, and maybe the more important factor, options ticked. I know full well the only reason I got out of my GTS turbo car was because if the options it had, I specced it very very well, more than any other one I’ve ever seen so I firmly believe that’s a big plus point. If I went ahead it would have to be long term, hence the question, but then I’m a life is too short sort so all things considered I’m fairly sure it’s a reasonable buy. Thanks again. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:20 pm

There is a review of the Cayman 718 GTS in Auto Express this week which rates it as the best Cayman ever. Worth a read if you are considering the Boxster. Life is short (sometimes too short) as we all know given the current Pandemic. If you can afford to buy what is such a superb car why wouldn’t you? The car as an investment is a much more difficult proposition to judge. There are so many variables to consider. Not least, what changes the Government of the day will make to discourage people from keeping petrol and diesel cars on the road. I would go with your gut feeling and have the pleasure of owning and driving such a lovely car. You are not likely to be doing a big mileage so it is always likely to be desirable. :roll:

scootr

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 pm

I am jealous you are considering this purchase. Go for it. Life is short and it's bloody over before you die.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:59 pm

I'm definitely in the "if you want it and can afford it just do it while you can" camp! :thumbsup:

This isn't a rehearsal!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Does anybody really know what will happen to future petrol cars with the move to electric?
The other side of the coin could mean that if the new electric Porsches are better, the petrol engined cars prices could plummet with nobody wanting them.
I hope this doesnt happen as I am not a fan of electric cars and hope (unrealistically) that the arse will fall out of the electric market and the whole experiment binned.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 pm Does anybody really know what will happen to future petrol cars with the move to electric?
The other side of the coin could mean that if the new electric Porsches are better, the petrol engined cars prices could plummet with nobody wanting them.
I hope this doesnt happen as I am not a fan of electric cars and hope (unrealistically) that the arse will fall out of the electric market and the whole experiment binned.
Yes,well said.
I too don't like Electric...no soul,no excitement.
It will be interesting too see what happens with Petrol/combustion engine cars etc.
As you say,the might end up worth very little,due to Governments taxing them off the road?!! :headbang:

I really hope not :driving:
A lot of the thrill,other than throwing a decent car round corners quickly,etc is listening to a nice sporty sounding engine,be it a 6cylinder or whatever.
It is what its all about, something you just will never get from electric (other than fake noises,lol)
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:55 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 pm Does anybody really know what will happen to future petrol cars with the move to electric?
Yes,well said.
I too don't like Electric...no soul,no excitement.
It will be interesting too see what happens with Petrol/combustion engine cars etc.
As you say,the might end up worth very little,due to Governments taxing them off the road?!! :headbang:

I really hope not :driving:
A lot of the thrill,other than throwing a decent car round corners quickly,etc is listening to a nice sporty sounding engine,be it a 6cylinder or whatever.
It is what its all about, something you just will never get from electric (other than fake noises,lol)
Can’t argue with any of both posts, however I do think it’ll be a good decade at least before they really turn the thumb screws on the petrol car tax due to the sheer number on the roads, it’ll have to be a very gradual phasing in imo, and given that I’m hedging my bets cars such as the 4.0 will still be very desirable for a good while yet, especially given the low volume of them when they go electric in 2 years time. I’m sure the electric cars will sell pretty well but I’m also pretty confident there will be plenty of buyers for a 6 cyl naturally aspirated mill for a long time yet.

Having said that my past record of being right is depressingly low....... :roll: :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

scootr

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 pm

I've heard the world can't go all electric cars until 2 things happen. 1 a safer environmentally friendlier battery medium is discovered. Right now car batteries are made of toxic materials. 2 there are recharging streets or 5 minute stations everywhere.
So yeah, I don't think that petrol car will be obsolete for some time.
Now lets talk about this GTS. :D Has it automatically got every coveted option or is it sold ala-cart like every other German car? :headbang:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 am

I afraid
john-e89 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm Ok so, as we know Porsche has now put the 4.0 flat 6 nat aspirated engine from the Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder, albeit with a 200 lower rev limit, in the 718 GTS. An utter peach of an engine with the only downside a filter dulling the sound just a little that is easily cured with an aftermarket exhaust, so in reality if the standard noise isn’t enough it can be dealt with. All the reviews say the GTS is an easier car to live with car than the GT4 or Spyder with a slightly less hardcore front end, doing away with rose joints, and softer springs on the rear resulting in a car that apparently is pretty much perfect, if that’s the kind of car you want. Now, Porsche is saying the new and revamped 2022 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric, something I haven’t confirmed 100% yet in research but if that’s the case, and bringing the point of this thread, do you think buying a well specced Boxster GTS 4.0 now could be a good move in so much as minimising loss..? My thinking is volume sales of the 4.0 in the next two years will be fairly low due to low disposable income until the all electric car comes out meaning the 4.0 GTS will hold its money a lot better than anytime before, including the 981 GTS. I know it’ll lose money but to what extent...? I don’t think too much actually.

I'm afraid you lost me at Porche. :P

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:21 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 am I afraid
john-e89 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm Ok so, as we know Porsche has now put the 4.0 flat 6 nat aspirated engine from the Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder, albeit with a 200 lower rev limit, in the 718 GTS. An utter peach of an engine with the only downside a filter dulling the sound just a little that is easily cured with an aftermarket exhaust, so in reality if the standard noise isn’t enough it can be dealt with. All the reviews say the GTS is an easier car to live with car than the GT4 or Spyder with a slightly less hardcore front end, doing away with rose joints, and softer springs on the rear resulting in a car that apparently is pretty much perfect, if that’s the kind of car you want. Now, Porsche is saying the new and revamped 2022 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric, something I haven’t confirmed 100% yet in research but if that’s the case, and bringing the point of this thread, do you think buying a well specced Boxster GTS 4.0 now could be a good move in so much as minimising loss..? My thinking is volume sales of the 4.0 in the next two years will be fairly low due to low disposable income until the all electric car comes out meaning the 4.0 GTS will hold its money a lot better than anytime before, including the 981 GTS. I know it’ll lose money but to what extent...? I don’t think too much actually.

I'm afraid you lost me at Porche. :P
So refreshingly honest Buzy sir...... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:30 am

scootr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 pm I've heard the world can't go all electric cars until 2 things happen. 1 a safer environmentally friendlier battery medium is discovered. Right now car batteries are made of toxic materials. 2 there are recharging streets or 5 minute stations everywhere.
So yeah, I don't think that petrol car will be obsolete for some time.
Now lets talk about this GTS. :D Has it automatically got every coveted option or is it sold ala-cart like every other German car? :headbang:
It’s the square root of f**k all standard..... :evil:

No it’s not bad to be fair, PASM, sport chrono pack, torque vectoring, 10 or 20 mm lower than an S no cost option, fluid engine mounts, switchable sports exhaust, 380mm I think drilled discs with six pot fronts, four pot rears,wing back 2 way seats, leather and Alcantara interior, sat nav, zenons, 20” rims. The options list is crazy though, from £66k base car it’s not too difficult to get it to £90k and beyond....!! :o
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:09 am

With regards to this business with electric cars and weather some fossil fuelled cars will retain their classic status and values, you have to consider why cars from Porsche Ferrari Mercedes BMW etc. become classics and sought after, it's all to do with emotion! You just don't get that from EVs so I can't see that changing anytime soon. I also don't see governments banning total sales of petrol / diesel anytime soon either. Some say that EVs are a transition to some other technology that will eventually replace fossil fuelled cars.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Boyo

Post by Boyo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Do it! I will be taking delivery of a Gentian Blue 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 in the next week or so. Nobody has a crystal ball and goodness knows what will happen in the future but if you can afford to buy one now then why not.
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster