Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Lotus Elise thread

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
M1k3yC

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:00 pm

As lockdown has eased I've resumed my search for a new toy. In case anyone is interested, I drove this Lotus Elise S about three weeks ago:
https://www.williamsautomobiles.com/cur ... ercharged/
I wasn't impressed, so they also let me drive this:
https://www.williamsautomobiles.com/cur ... -sport-s3/

Firstly, the guys at Williams Automobiles are great and I'd happily recommend them if you're interested in their cars.

Unfortunately, the Elise S really wasn't for me. It felt nowhere near as quick as the claimed numbers (4.5s 0-62mph) and was also squealing like a pig. I found out after that's the belt on the supercharger, a simple fix, and no big deal. Because it was an unaccompanied test drive it put me off really pushing the car as I didn't know what was wrong and nobody was there to tell me to ignore it. The blue vehicle felt stronger in terms of power, but I didn't want to spend £40k.

I expected the Elise to be a lot more eager at lower revs and the gearing shorter, but the opposite seemed true. To get the performance I think you have to rev it right out but at that point you're well beyond sensible on a public road. I had no problems getting in and out and don't mind the basic interior, although for the price you do feel a bit cheated on the quality of dash and instruments. The seats are reasonably comfortable, but every few minutes I found myself thinking, "wow, these are pretty hard!" The steering isn't really heavy, even though it's unassisted, but it does start to weight up when you push it in a corner so I can imagine it being a bit physical if you were really going for it. I ended up coming to the conclusion that £30k for a large, relatively comfortable go-kart didn't make sense for me! If I did lots of track days or had amazing driving roads right on my doorstep (i.e., if I lived in the middle of nowhere) then maybe, but as a toy for the road with maybe a very occasional track visit it wasn't right for me. Shame, as it's a stunning looking vehicle. I'll just have to make the effort to go karting more frequently instead!

I'm interested in what any current or previous Elise owners think or if you've considered or tested an Elise.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:16 pm

One of many cars I love hearing about but sadly cannot fit into. :cry: Surely you buy one to go around corners not to push you back into a comfy chair as it slingshots down a dual carriage way. Perhaps best that I have never been able to drive one, I can still enjoy the dream.

I used to race Karts, just the four stroke thunder karts not the really fast stuff. Get in there and enjoy it while your bones can take the battering. I broke a few ribs simply going over curbs in those things. Best tool there is for learning car control. I recommend slicks on a frozen circuit, if you ever get the opportunity. Possibly the most fun you can have at 60mph :driving: :thumbsup:

groovy_hippy

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by groovy_hippy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:45 pm

I can’t disagree on the price thing. Lotus seem to have got it into their heads that they can price their cars close to Porsches, but at the end of the day they’re mostly using a customer engine and haven’t made any major tech advances in the last few years. Now don’t get me wrong, I’d love one - we used to have a VX Turbo which was awesome - but not at the price of a new/newer Lotus! In case readers don’t know...the Vauxhall VX200 Turbo is an Elise S2 with a 2.0 Turbo in back and a different body - immense fun.
It’s such a shame because Lotuses are great - simple, nimble little sports cars, but it seems that they’ve lost their way a bit on the marketing/price front.
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:49 pm

With the Elise you’re paying for what you don’t get rather than what you do get, that’s the whole ethos of the car.
If it had plush, electric seating & a dashboard full of dials & buttons it wouldn’t weigh so little and be as nimble as it is.
It’s hardcore (although less than they used to be) and you have to re-evaluate what you’re buying into.
I owned mine for almost 3 years & loved it, totally different experience to a z4 & not comparable in any way.
Not sure about the new ones but my 2006 car didn’t even come with any carpet, just a couple of mats 8)
26F848E8-BA58-4A4F-9171-2910885F89CA.jpeg
26F848E8-BA58-4A4F-9171-2910885F89CA.jpeg (221.59 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
B21B125E-5755-4702-9E2B-4E8B478B2DD5.jpeg
B21B125E-5755-4702-9E2B-4E8B478B2DD5.jpeg (274.11 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

beanie

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by beanie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:29 pm

I think the Elise will always remain the one that got away, for me. I was all set to buy one until I tried a Z4m-the dark side was far too appealing!

I’d still really like an S2 exige or a newer sport 220 Elise but thanks to their uninspiring engines I don’t think I could ever let go of the Z4m for one. If there was a way I could have both then that would be a dream as they are cracking things to drive.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

scootr

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 pm

beanie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:29 pm I think the Elise will always remain the one that got away, for me. I was all set to buy one until I tried a Z4m-the dark side was far too appealing!

I’d still really like an S2 exige or a newer sport 220 Elise but thanks to their uninspiring engines I don’t think I could ever let go of the Z4m for one. If there was a way I could have both then that would be a dream as they are cracking things to drive.
You would have a lovely problem then indeed. I love the look and idea behind these cars but I fear the ride will be a bit harsh for my old bones.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

brillomaster

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by brillomaster » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:33 pm

Ive got a mate with a vx220. Didnt like it at all to be honest... felt really cramped inside, seats were terribly uncomfortable, and i struggled to get in and out, even though im only 30! The interior was also really rattly, just felt like it was gonna fall apart. He asked if i fancied taking it for a few laps round donington, i declined. And youre right, it wasnt that fast, and didnt make a very nice noise either.

Personally i much preferred my z4 for trackdays... faster, sounded better, comfortable, and plenty nimble enough.

If i really wanted a drivers car, id go for a caterham, or an mk indy with a hayabusa engine in. They feel really quick, and with a high revving bike engine would sound heroic too!

beanie

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by beanie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 pm

scootr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 pm You would have a lovely problem then indeed. I love the look and idea behind these cars but I fear the ride will be a bit harsh for my old bones.
I think you might be surprised. I drove a virtually new 111s many years ago and one of the things that struck me was just how complaint the ride was. It was far better at dealing with a British B-road than my Z4 yet gave a level of feedback and connection that our cars can only dream of.

That said, I did drive a couple of more well used examples which didn’t feel quite as solid and composed-I seem to remember something regarding the wear rate of ball joints or track rod ends being a common cause of complaint but it’s been a long time sine I was looking at these cars. Either way, it would be worth keeping the suspension in tip top shape as it really is part of the reason for them being so capable.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

scootr

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Check this 2005 Elise out. She looks like a 2 meter blonde in stiletto heels :rofl:
Attachments
2005_lotus_elise_1592888349fd7c2c6DSC_8672.jpg
2005_lotus_elise_1592888349fd7c2c6DSC_8672.jpg (337.77 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:50 am

scootr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 pm Check this 2005 Elise out. She looks like a 2 meter blonde in stiletto heels :rofl:
Hard top as well :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

scootr

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by scootr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:25 am

No fake vents there !
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

M1k3yC

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by M1k3yC » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 pm

A big factor for me was the price. The dark red one that I was interested in didn't meet my expectations of a £30k car and a newer one at more like £40k seemed even harder to justify, although it was a better vehicle. The real kicker is you can buy two Mazda MX-5s (Mk4) for the same price. Slower, but very involving, a nicer place to be, and more usable on a regular basis. If the Mazda isn't fast enough for you, you can take it to BBR GTi, throw a few thousand pounds at it, and still have change compared to buying a Lotus.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 pm A big factor for me was the price. The dark red one that I was interested in didn't meet my expectations of a £30k car and a newer one at more like £40k seemed even harder to justify, although it was a better vehicle. The real kicker is you can buy two Mazda MX-5s (Mk4) for the same price. Slower, but very involving, a nicer place to be, and more usable on a regular basis. If the Mazda isn't fast enough for you, you can take it to BBR GTi, throw a few thousand pounds at it, and still have change compared to buying a Lotus.
You can’t compare them, the Mazda is a mass produced car opposed to the hand assembled Lotus-economies of scale mean the Lotus is never going to be a cheap car like an mx5.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

abar121

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by abar121 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:39 pm

I have to agree with the OP, Elises, in fact all Lotuses are a tough sell these days.

It pains me to say that, as I have a long background in Elises, back to the S1 and love them to pieces.

Expectations have moved on and unfortunately they have been left behind. All the more so with the elevated price tags.

I recently drove a new Elise Sport 220S and whilst good fun, it is missing a lot of the thrill that the earlier cars gave. Heavier, softer and there is no hiding that basement Toyota shopper engine at that price point, even with the supercharger.

I'd still love a slightly tweaked K series Elise though. ~750kg, 170bhp with a DVA head. So much character and you can feel the lack of weight immediately. The throttle response feels fantastic too, being cable. Not great as your only car, but there you go :)
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

beanie

A Lotus Elise thread

Post by beanie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:45 pm

There’s a recent article on PistonHeads about the BBR ITB setup for the 3rd gen mx5 and I think if I had one I’d have a hard time resisting it.

The standard NC is pretty well judged as a car for uk roads but a bit more poke and drama would make it brilliant. Sure, it will never be a lotus but that’s both a bad and a good thing!

Abar- I much preferred the K series to the Toyota lumps. A sorted sport 160 S1 would have made a great buy some years ago before the prices started climbing.
RUBYIMOLACARBON